Dewayne Wise Play - Yanks Game | Syracusefan.com

Dewayne Wise Play - Yanks Game

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
In last night's Yankees game Jack Hannahan of the Indians hit a pop foul towards the stands down the left field line. Yankee left fielder Dewayne Wise appeared to make the catch as he fell into the stands. The umpire called it a catch and called Hannahan out. Turns out, as show by replays and admitted by Wise, the ball came out of Wise's glove and shouldn't have been called a catch. He came out of the stands without the ball and ran to the dugout without ever letting on that he didn't have ball and was never asked by the umpire to show that he had the ball.

wise-62612.jpg

Video Replay

My question is, is allowing a clear mistake to go uncorrected a good baseball play or should the player own up and acknowledge that he didn't make the catch...what say you?

ESPN Story on play

Depends on the situation. I believe umpires mistakes should go uncorrected (besides on their umpire evaluation). I am not a huge fan of replay and think its correctly used right now for only home runs.

As a former umpire, college player and college assistant coach - the Wise 'catch' was bad because the umpire made a mistake and wasn't in the greatest position therefore should have done the first two things he was trained to do - ask to see them ball and if he still wasn't confident then ask for help. He did neither (however he did take his time to call him out) and the end result was a blown call. He will be docked on the grading system for his umpire evaluation and at least owned up to the mistake in his postgame interview. That should be the end of it.

I think this is the worst blown call in the major leagues this year because the umpire was in the correct position but missed the call horribly. He must have called him out in his head before the play ever transpired and he quick triggered the punch out.

I'm disappointed Wise carried out the charade, but even more at the cavalier way in which the ump handled it. It's indefensible that he didn't check Wise's glove for the ball. He simply mailed it in on that play. I think we can all live with honest errors, but that was just lazy.

In last night's Yankees game Jack Hannahan of the Indians hit a pop foul towards the stands down the left field line. Yankee left fielder Dewayne Wise appeared to make the catch as he fell into the stands. The umpire called it a catch and called Hannahan out. Turns out, as show by replays and admitted by Wise, the ball came out of Wise's glove and shouldn't have been called a catch. He came out of the stands without the ball and ran to the dugout without ever letting on that he didn't have ball and was never asked by the umpire to show that he had the ball.

wise-62612.jpg

Video Replay

My question is, is allowing a clear mistake to go uncorrected a good baseball play or should the player own up and acknowledge that he didn't make the catch...what say you?

ESPN Story on play
Ref should be sent down. The fan showed that HE had the ball. Umps are the rogue cops of sports officials, and Bud is too week to take them on.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Ref should be sent down. The fan showed that HE had the ball. Umps are the rogue cops of sports officials, and Bud is too weak to take them on.
And no, its not the player's job to correct a bad call. Ask Jeter.

Unlike golf and tennis, it is not part of the etiquette of baseball, basketball, or football to self-police. The culture of all three of these sports is to gain an advantage any way possible. Jeter, Mattingly, Rizzuto, DiMaggio, all would have "carried out the charade."

I guess it all comes down to who you see yourself as, what kind of player you want to be remembered as. And that's not a shot at donniesyr or anyone else, just an observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom