DI Council approves changes to transfer rules | Syracusefan.com

DI Council approves changes to transfer rules

So now the schools are right smack damn in the middle of arranging NIL opportunities.

I posted this in the same thread on the hoops board:

Also effective immediately, Division I student-athletes who meet certain academic eligibility requirements will be immediately eligible at their next school, regardless of whether they transferred previously. Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes must have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing.

So, does this mean if they have passing grades mid-semester and transfer, they can play immediately? Because if so, OMG. The implications are frightening.

I posted this in the same thread on the hoops board:

Also effective immediately, Division I student-athletes who meet certain academic eligibility requirements will be immediately eligible at their next school, regardless of whether they transferred previously. Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes must have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing.

So, does this mean if they have passing grades mid-semester and transfer, they can play immediately? Because if so, OMG. The implications are frightening.

The transfer windows are not changing, but, yes, if they are in good standing and they transfer in one of the three (?} windows, then they are immediately eligible to practice/play.

Gonna have to contractually lock kids up. The downside is way too big to invest in them otherwise.

And what coach wants to lead in this system where they no longer have any real control? It’s blowing up quickly.

Gonna have to contractually lock kids up. The downside is way too big to invest in them otherwise.

And what coach wants to lead in this system where they no longer have any real control? It’s blowing up quickly.
You need to keep the kids you want sold, and not just financially. I don’t think Brown is looking to coach a roster of mercenaries.

The winter transfer window could severely impact teams in Bowl games played after 12/28, unless the school allows kids in the portal to play in the bowl game (possible, but not likely).
Viable players are done playing in bowl games. Anybody with the potential of getting drafted or with eyes toward transfers isn’t suiting up. We’ve already been through two years of this but they’re diminished more with the bigger playoffs. Again, this is the kind of thing to tie to nil for you care.

I heard an idea that I thought was dumb at first but now get it. No more post season bowls but you earn a bowl game that happens as a kickoff to the next season. It’s then meaningful. The playoffs will fill the post season and bowls the preseason.

Viable players are done playing in bowl games. Anybody with the potential of getting drafted or with eyes toward transfers isn’t suiting up. We’ve already been through two years of this but they’re diminished more with the bigger playoffs. Again, this is the kind of thing to tie to nil for you care.

I heard an idea that I thought was dumb at first but now get it. No more post season bowls but you earn a bowl game that happens as a kickoff to the next season. It’s then meaningful. The playoffs will fill the post season and bowls the preseason.

The preseason bowl games would look nothing liek the teams that earned them but I don't mind early week 1 or 0 games that weren't scheduled years in advance. I don't see why letting backups and guys who redshirted play bowl games so ESPN can make some money off them is a problem?

Let the starters leave and play the others.

The preseason bowl games would look nothing liek the teams that earned them but I don't mind early week 1 or 0 games that weren't scheduled years in advance. I don't see why letting backups and guys who redshirted play bowl games so ESPN can make some money off them is a problem?

Let the starters leave and play the others.
I just think we need to stop caring about win/loss which takes a lot of the juice out of the game. It’s also not something that people will continue to travel for. Fans should pay full freight to travel during the holidays and prioritize this game…but the players don’t? That just seems off base. A week zero game against Arkansas (for instance) in Charlotte the next season, though? Cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom