Diamond Stone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Diamond Stone

But in a way it is kind of like that, If you want to be a lawyer you have to go to school for seven years, if you want to be an accountant, you have to go for four.

But no one is ever going to have the requisite skill set to practice law with only a high school diploma (unless you live in Illinois in middle of the nineteenth century). That's not necessarily the case wrt making a living playing basketball.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about. Granted, it was a Laker game and officiating is not really a priority. But still, you get my point.

I try not to confuse the NBA with real basketball.

I reffed under that system. It caused fights.
it caused chaos because the downside of playing physical to create a turnover was just another OB play.. you need to really reward shots and the ball if you want to limit the fouls and make it 3 shots since the act of fouling late removes all chance for a team to shoot a 3. change the rule to 5-6 fouls then go to 1-1 for 3-4 fouls than to 3 shots and the ball. make teams play Defense to get back into a game they trailed for 38 min playing real bball.

But no one is ever going to have the requisite skill set to practice law with only a high school diploma (unless you live in Illinois in middle of the nineteenth century). That's not necessarily the case wrt making a living playing basketball.

I'm just talking in terms of setting the standard for applicants, if the Nba decides they want kids to stay in college for two or three years, they every right to do that.

I'm just talking in terms of setting the standard for applicants, if the Nba decides they want kids to stay in college for two or three years, they every right to do that.

I can get behind that.

What if a kid can't get into college? What if he flunks out after year one? Can he never play in the NBA?

What if a kid can't get into college? What if he flunks out after year one? Can he never play in the NBA?

Not,thats why I put in an age limit, they could go overseas, but lets be honest you have to try to fail if your a big time bball player.

IDK how a Diamond Stone thread has a side conversation about the block/charge call, but this is as good a place as any for me to chime in with my long held thought that college basketball should do away with the charge call completely.

Think about it for a minute...the call is always botched by officials, so half the time a great defensive play is not only not rewarded, but actually punished with a bad call. Getting rid of the charge eliminates this double penalty situation, if you will. Further more, the whole "I'm gonna stand here and call that good defense and take a charge" is a pretty wussy way to play basketball. Make a play on the ball or make the guy adjust his shot, or foul him hard and send him to the line, or just get out the way, i don't care what you do...just play real defense and not try to stand like a statue to draw a change.

This may lead to offensive players driving to the basket without regard, but if the refs allow a little body contact without a foul call in the semi-circle, instead of having to figure out the mess of charge/block, I think we'll have a better game.

IDK how a Diamond Stone thread has a side conversation about the block/charge call, but this is as good a place as any for me to chime in with my long held thought that college basketball should do away with the charge call completely.

Think about it for a minute...the call is always botched by officials, so half the time a great defensive play is not only not rewarded, but actually punished with a bad call. Getting rid of the charge eliminates this double penalty situation, if you will. Further more, the whole "I'm gonna stand here and call that good defense and take a charge" is a pretty wussy way to play basketball. Make a play on the ball or make the guy adjust his shot, or foul him hard and send him to the line, or just get out the way, i don't care what you do...just play real defense and not try to stand like a statue to draw a change.

This may lead to offensive players driving to the basket without regard, but if the refs allow a little body contact without a foul call in the semi-circle, instead of having to figure out the mess of charge/block, I think we'll have a better game.

That would make for awful basketball... Or decent football.

If they stop calling block-charge calls players will get better at blocking shots. What's the point of jumping in front of a player to establish position when they will most likely make the shot anyway and deliver a good knee to the chest or face. I kind of like your idea. But imagine someone would complain then players would be out of control scoring baskets all the time.

P.S. RE: Diamond Stone side conversation, S happens.

The college game is suffering because of early entry, that's why their should be an age rule.

The college game is suffering because it has allowed itself to become the minor leagues for the NBA and sold its soul for piles of cash.

And as to the comparison between other professions requiring years of formal education and basketball, the comparison doesn't work. In law or medicine you are attending school to be trained in your intended profession. The education you are obtaining is directly relevant to that profession. With basketball you are attending school because it is required as an eligibility requirement for playing in what passes as the minor leagues for basketball. The education that college hoopsters are pursuing has absolutely nothing to do with their intended profession (basketball). Don't confuse this with whether the education might someday be useful.

Last edited:
I think the charge/block call is one of the hardest to make in sports (you may have more insight on this)

Maybe allow coaches a certain number of "challenges"... Like in Pro football.

God No!!!! Please no!! We don't need anymore stoppages to review replays. Half the time you could review the replay of a charge/block call and 50% of the people watching the replay would say its one way and 50% the other way. It is simply highly subjective, you're going to have variation in the way its called and you're always going to have people feeling like the call was wrong no matter which way it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom