Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation?

I don't know if it is tampering just based on what Allen allegedly said.

giphy.gif

In a recent ESPN article it was stated that NCAA is aware of players using personal trainers and AAU coaches to get the words out to gauge the level of interest prior to entering the portal and said this is "skirting the tampering rules". Does skirting here means it's a legal loop hole? I bet we knew Cole was portal bound.

I don't know if it is tampering just based on what Allen allegedly said.

I suspect in a lot of cases, a player thinking of entering the transfer portal talks to their AAU coach, or HS coach, and tell them this. Asks if they can help gauge interest, and maybe provides a few schools.

If an AAU coach or HS coach contacts a member of the SU staff in this kind of a circumstance, I don't think this is tampering. Even if the member of the staff takes the info back to the HC and rest of the staff and they discuss interest in a potential transfer, I don't think this is tampering. And I think it is fine if after that meeting, the staff member gets back to the coach and lets them know if Syracuse would or would not be interested.

All of that seems fine to me. I would think this is what the NCAA would actually want. If you want players to have true freedom to transfer, I think it is reasonable to allow them to casually 'test the waters' and see if putting your name in the portal is going to be worthwhile. Especially given once you put your name in the portal, it appears your scholarship is no longer guaranteed.

I think when the school contacts the player, or people close to the player and expresses interest, then you have tampering.
I respectfully completely disagree. This might as well be tampering. And it's gross thinking about it

The FSU kid that just entered the portal?

FYI. On a much smaller scale my son’s individual coach was calling around for him when he had decided to leave his college last year. But for the pandemic, he would be at a certain FL school, which was all lined up.

My guess is Justin Champagnie. I know he loved Syracuse growing up. He would be such a good fit for this team...
This would be too good to be true

I know it's not going to happen but Alvarado would be tremendous, we could use another PG.

The majority of these players aren't jumping in blind, some are because of whatever reason they can't or won't return to their school but most have an idea of what's awaiting them if they enter the portal.

The majority of these players aren't jumping in blind, some are because of whatever reason they can't or won't return to their school but most have an idea of what's awaiting them if they enter the portal.
None of them are jumping in blind. There is zero ability to police this.

Give me Art instead of Justin...
I usually agree with you often ... but this one doesn’t make sense to me. JC is probably the ACCPOY, and he brings exactly what we don’t have - rebounding and low post scoring. IMO we are a top 10 team with him. I like Art and he’s a fantastic prospect - but he’s a guy that won’t contribute too much offensively right now, although he’d be great in the zone. Obviously Art would he here next year too which is huge; but JC really movrs the needle for this season

I usually agree with you often ... but this one doesn’t make sense to me. JC is probably the ACCPOY, and he brings exactly what we don’t have - rebounding and low post scoring. IMO we are a top 10 team with him. I like Art and he’s a fantastic prospect - but he’s a guy that won’t contribute too much offensively right now, although he’d be great in the zone. Obviously Art would he here next year too which is huge; but JC really movrs the needle for this season

So, the needle - it moved? ;)

I respect our staff not even hiding the tampering
Just how is disclosing that a player may unexpectedly become available via the portal tampering?

If a player not in the portal contacts you about transferring to your program and you answer him/her would that be tampering? If you said enter the portal and call me back would that be ok?

I respectfully completely disagree. This might as well be tampering. And it's gross thinking about it
It a player, either directly or indirectly initiates contact, how is that tampering?

It a player, either directly or indirectly initiates contact, how is that tampering?

This.

Now, I guess once the coach responds, one could then potentially say that was tampering.

But given that it was initiated by the player and/or their camp, it’d be pretty hard to pin that down.

Of course, it’d be just as hard to pin it down if it happened in reverse.

Like say if Willard or somebody else from Seton Hall reached out to Kadary’s people and said -
“he doesn’t look too happy there, if he decides to look around, we’d be interested.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom