Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation?

It a player, either directly or indirectly initiates contact, how is that tampering?
Gaping loopholes are why regulations don't work.

Any school accused of tampering could say, "well the individual contacted party A, who contacted party B, who let party A know there was interest, who let said individual know it's good to go ..."

How is that not indirect recruitment of a player?

I respectfully completely disagree. This might as well be tampering. And it's gross thinking about it
Players thinking about entering the portal (or people close to them) should be allowed to reach out to programs in a casual and unofficial manner to gauge interest.

Once a player puts their name in the portal, they effectively give up their scholarship. It can be a terrifying thing to do when you have no idea what kind of interest there is in you.

If you start cracking down on kids who are unhappy and hoping to go to a place that is a better fit, or on the schools that they desperately want and need feedback from, you are undermining the whole movement to make it easier for players to switch schools (like coaches can).

Tampering is when the schools reach out and make initial contact. IMHO it is a very different situation when a school responds to a theoretical question regarding interest from a player who wants out from their current school.

i would rather allow players to reach out before entering the portal than force them to make life changing decisions completely in the dark.

It is the right thing to do. If you are going to make changes to make it easier for players to find a place they will be happy and thrive, give them the ability to make a relatively informed decision.

If a player not in the portal contacts you about transferring to your program and you answer him/her would that be tampering? If you said enter the portal and call me back would that be ok?
Yes, but the player would not make that call. Player A’s HS/AAU coach or parent calls an assistant coach, or the coaches friend or booster, who talks to the assistant, who talks to the HC. If interested, word gets back to make the jump

Players thinking about entering the portal (or people close to them) should be allowed to reach out to programs in a casual and unofficial manner to gauge interest.

Once a player puts their name in the portal, they effectively give up their scholarship. It can be a terrifying thing to do when you have no idea what kind of interest there is in you.

If you start cracking down on kids who are unhappy and hoping to go to a place that is a better fit, or on the schools that they desperately want and need feedback from, you are undermining the whole movement to make it easier for players to switch schools (like coaches can).

Tampering is when the schools reach out and make initial contact. IMHO it is a very different situation when a school responds to a theoretical question regarding interest from a player who wants out from their current school.

i would rather allow players to reach out before entering the portal than force them to make life changing decisions completely in the dark.

It is the right thing to do. If you are going to make changes to make it easier for players to find a place they will be happy and thrive, give them the ability to make a relatively informed decision.
Yes the minute they enter the portal, their rights to a scholarship are gone, along with use of the former school’s facilities etc. The portal entry date was during a semester , so credits for that semester would be gone. A school can be extremely generous and take on those costs but with schools hurting financially and the restriction on the number of scholarships - unless schools hold off making scholarship offers to replacement transfer portal players, a player must decide they really want to leave. Maybe JB is waiting to use scholarships now because they are eating some of the scholarship costs for some entering the portal. No way to know.

You know, I did not know this about the portal. I thought a player has absolute freedom to remove their name from the portal at any time without giving up their scholarship. Do they actually give up their scholarship by entering the portal, or is it really not relinquished until the transfer becomes official? I'm confused by your term "effectively give up their scholarship."

You know, I did not know this about the portal. I thought a player has absolute freedom to remove their name from the portal at any time without giving up their scholarship. Do they actually give up their scholarship by entering the portal, or is it really not relinquished until the transfer becomes official? I'm confused by your term "effectively give up their scholarship."
My understanding is that putting your name in the portal relieves the school that gave the scholarship of having to guarantee that scholarship any longer. You have a guaranteed scholarship for 4 years until you put your name in the portal. After that, all bets are off.

Here’s why players need to make a raw, honest evaluation of their situations before they enter the portal. Once a player enters the portal, the player’s current school is under no obligation to keep that player on scholarship. After all, a man can’t leave the house and tell his wife he’s going on a few dates that night and reasonably expect her to still let him sleep in her bed. Most programs sign so many players that if everyone comes back for next season, that program will be over the 85-scholarship limit. Attrition—players getting booted, players retiring, players transferring—always seems to get programs to 85, but there is no reason a coach couldn’t just zap the players in the portal to get to the number. This potential transfer described above appears prepared to stay at his original school, which is willing to take him back.

My understanding is that putting your name in the portal relieves the school that gave the scholarship of having to guarantee that scholarship any longer. You have a guaranteed scholarship for 4 years until you put your name in the portal. After that, all bets are off.

Here’s why players need to make a raw, honest evaluation of their situations before they enter the portal. Once a player enters the portal, the player’s current school is under no obligation to keep that player on scholarship. After all, a man can’t leave the house and tell his wife he’s going on a few dates that night and reasonably expect her to still let him sleep in her bed. Most programs sign so many players that if everyone comes back for next season, that program will be over the 85-scholarship limit. Attrition—players getting booted, players retiring, players transferring—always seems to get programs to 85, but there is no reason a coach couldn’t just zap the players in the portal to get to the number. This potential transfer described above appears prepared to stay at his original school, which is willing to take him back.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess the operative term for the school/coaching staff is that they are "under no obligation."

Fascinating. I would have never guessed you felt that way.
Fascinating is what did you in store the green canvas bags?
Not that I will just be happy with another player who can play.

Last edited:
Truly happy or less unhappy? ;)
I just want to be relevant again or the fanbase stop pretending we are what we were.
I get the joke but I am not impressed with current status quo if we are trying to compete as the best.
If we are just trying to be okay then it’s a different standard.

Yes the minute they enter the portal, their rights to a scholarship are gone, along with use of the former school’s facilities etc. The portal entry date was during a semester , so credits for that semester would be gone. A school can be extremely generous and take on those costs but with schools hurting financially and the restriction on the number of scholarships - unless schools hold off making scholarship offers to replacement transfer portal players, a player must decide they really want to leave. Maybe JB is waiting to use scholarships now because they are eating some of the scholarship costs for some entering the portal. No way to know.
The current scholarship they’re on is granted until completion.

I just want to win a natty so I can go on the bender of all benders.

Is that too much to ask for, Jim?
I missed the football natty but the basketball one was and is still fully enjoyed to this day in Dux town. ( It coincided with a birth of a daughter )

I want a football one ( which is so stacked against all odds with the current setup and trend) but, I also want to fly and be invisible when I want too.

I missed the football natty but the basketball one was and is still fully enjoyed to this day in Dux town. ( It coincided with a birth of a daughter )

I want a football one ( which is so stacked against all odds with the current setup and trend) but, I also want to fly and be invisible when I want too.
If you were invisible, but I had x-ray vision...is that kind of like unstoppable force meets immovable object?

Maybe it depends if your invisible form still reacts to electromagnetic energy the same way.

Or I’m watching too much Marvel with Covid and all.

Terrific post!

I just want to be relevant again or the fanbase stop pretending we are what we were.
I get the joke but I am not impressed with current status quo if we are trying to compete as the best.
If we are just trying to be okay then it’s a different standard.
We know all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom