Did not believe the obvious | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did not believe the obvious

If I was a baseball player, and I hit a home run every 5th time I stepped up to the plate, would you cut me?

But I get your point and tend to agree. Forget ice. Dino is skating on chilled water at this point. I don’t think it’s realistic to cut him this year, but next year is absolutely a put up or shut up year.

If I was your best friend and only crashed your car once every 5 weekends I asked to borrow it would you still lend it to me?

If I was a surgeon and only left a sponge in someone once every 5 surgeries would you still be excited for me to take your appendix out?

If I was your nanny and only dropped your baby on Mondays, would you still hand that baby over to me?

It's a ridiculous comparison. If Dino did three .500 seasons in five years, we'd be fine. Heck with COVID, 2 in 5 years would probably suffice if we showed signs of being consistently good but not occasionally great (which is his standard), but one respectable season in 5 years, with a once in 20 years talent at QB is not acceptable -- that's my point.

My issue isn't that there have been some misses -- we've all had out disappointments (insert jokes about my wife here) -- the point is we are experiencing more disappointments than acceptable.

You're not that crummy.

You did a nice job on the lawn in year 3.

And then the drought came. And locusts. And murder hornets. And zombies.

You have no clue how zombies can mess up a lawn.

I hear ya -- but the guy across the street who doesn't believe that Zombies exist and dumps motor oil in his front yard had such green grass this weekend that I was embarrassed to show my face at the neighborhood barbecue.

I hear ya -- but the guy across the street who doesn't believe that Zombies exist and dumps motor oil in his front yard had such green grass this weekend that I was embarrassed to show my face at the neighborhood barbecue.

Was this his grill?

1603072773304.png

There are a lot of bad high school football coaches that could let you know when they are going to lose a game too...

If you think it is a positive that he knew that he could lose to Liberty, I don't know what to say.

Maybe the issue is ESPN gave him every chance to become a star, he was gifted an ideal college football underdog quarterback, has been given a competitive P5 infrastructure, and he still can't capitalize on it.

If I was running a business to care for your lawn and in year 5 you still had a patchy dirt lot would you keep me around?

If I was fixing your roof and after five years your home was still leaking every spring, except one, would you still hire me?

If I was a restaurant and only gave you a meal you thought that was worth your money once every five times you came, would you keep coming?

If I produced a movie series and only one of the 5 films was any good, would you keep buying tickets to come watch them?

So basically like 50 programs should fire their coach every year? Every 2 years?

So basically like 50 programs should fire their coach every year? Every 2 years?

I think you missed the point. I was talking about being terrible for 4 out of 5 years. Your math doesn't check out.

I mean, I tried to emphasize that in almost each point I made...

I think you missed the point. I was talking about being terrible for 4 out of 5 years. Your math doesn't check out.

I mean, I tried to emphasize that in almost each point I made...

So that’s the magic cutoff? Fair enough.

So that’s the magic cutoff? Fair enough.

That's the thing -- this is a college football message board. Everyone will have their own opinion.

For one, I don't think underachieving 4 out of 5 years is okay.

If you think 4-8; 4-8; 10-3 (Dungey as a senior); 5-7; 1-5 is okay, that's fine.

All you have to do is say that you are happy with the current state of the program.

Are you happy with the current state of the program?

That's the thing -- this is a college football message board. Everyone will have their own opinion.

For one, I don't think underachieving 4 out of 5 years is okay.

If you think 4-8; 4-8; 10-3 (Dungey as a senior); 5-7; 1-5 is okay, that's fine.

All you have to do is say that you are happy with the current state of the program.

Are you happy with the current state of the program?

I don’t think we underachieved in any of those years, personally. I think we overachieved in 2018 though.

We can’t recruit. Ever. It is what it is.

If I was your best friend and only crashed your car once every 5 weekends I asked to borrow it would you still lend it to me?

If I was a surgeon and only left a sponge in someone once every 5 surgeries would you still be excited for me to take your appendix out?

If I was your nanny and only dropped your baby on Mondays, would you still hand that baby over to me?

It's a ridiculous comparison. If Dino did three .500 seasons in five years, we'd be fine. Heck with COVID, 2 in 5 years would probably suffice if we showed signs of being consistently good but not occasionally great (which is his standard), but one respectable season in 5 years, with a once in 20 years talent at QB is not acceptable -- that's my point.

My issue isn't that there have been some misses -- we've all had out disappointments (insert jokes about my wife here) -- the point is we are experiencing more disappointments than acceptable.
What's the insurance situation in the first hypothetical? Why would I be excited about getting ny appendix out in any situation? How much do I love my kid in the 3rd scenario?

I don’t think we underachieved in any of those years, personally. I think we overachieved in 2018 though.

We can’t recruit. Ever. It is what it is.
Coach p recruited well. I'm not saying we should be challenging Alabama for the top spot but if we bring in the right guy there is no reason we can't recruit better.

Coach p recruited well. I'm not saying we should be challenging Alabama for the top spot but if we bring in the right guy there is no reason we can't recruit better.

That was a long time ago. P or the time when we could recruit like that ain’t walking through that door.

Did you know Marrone left when proper resources weren’t directed in a way that helped? Shafer was too lost and just happy to notice. Wildhack has been steadily addressing Dinos requests. This year went in the pooper for a lot of reasons - everyone wants to pin it on the HC, because that’s the easiest thing to change of the things that need changing. But I’m not sure.

Treat this season like an exhibition season. Look for growth, not wins. Hold onto the recruiting class.

Dino is 1-4 against Pitt
2-2 against Wake Forest
1–1 against Duke
1-3 against Louisville
2-2 against Boston College

7-12 against peer ACC schools.
I am not counting Clemson and Florida State.

Does anyone think he will is capable of getting to .500 against peer schools in the next 2 years?
This is year 5. He has gone thru the growing pains years.
We are trending backwards.

Dino is 1-4 against Pitt
2-2 against Wake Forest
1–1 against Duke
1-3 against Louisville

Does anyone think he will is capable of getting to .500 against peer schools in the next 2 years?
Losing to Liberty midway through their 2nd year is a fireable offense in my eyes during normal years.

The above said, he won’t be fired this year.

But, he needs to get control of his team. The cute #%&@ is OK when you’re Miami and crushing the world. It stops working when you’re losing to glorified FCS “schools.” And, assuming that he can get control of his team, I think we will be noticeably improved next year. I really do.

I personally see him as a “sell,” but he will be on the hot seat, and I think he’ll do well enough to make it hard to fire him (whether I want him replaced or not). However, going bowling in 2021 won’t be enough to get him out of the woods in and of itself. He better have a great answer for the year after.

EDIT: Going 1-4 against Pitt is a HUGE problem in my eyes. Losing to BC this year would be another significant problem. IMHO, any hope of being relevant relies on being the #2 team in the northeast (PSU is structured to always be #1, and short of expanding SU by a factor of 4-5, that reality won’t change). We absolutely need to maximize our backyard, because we will otherwise have to fight for scraps everywhere else. Kids in NJ and western PA need reasons to stay home and NOT go to Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc., and a healthy number of the 5-6 really good players from New England + New York need to suit up for us as well. We obviously need to recruit Florida and the DMV heavily, but we will never be anyone’s first pick down there.

Last edited:
Dino is 1-4 against Pitt
2-2 against Wake Forest
1–1 against Duke
1-3 against Louisville

With this record I don’t want to hear Ever again that the reason Dino would leave is because of lack of fan support. I mean, really?

The school has made huge investments in the program and given Dino pretty much everything he has asked for. And in year 5 we have this record. Time to,produce

Losing to Liberty midway through their 2nd year is a fireable offense in my eyes during normal years.

The above said, he won’t be fired this year.

But, he needs to get control of his team. The cute #%&@ is OK when you’re Miami and crushing the world. It stops working when you’re losing to glorified FCS “schools.” And, assuming that he can get control of his team, I think we will be noticeably improved next year. I really do.

I personally see him as a “sell,” but he will be on the hot seat, and I think he’ll do well enough to make it hard to fire him (whether I want him replaced or not). However, going bowling in 2021 won’t be enough to get him out of the woods in and of itself. He better have a great answer for the year after.

Disagree, 6-6, 7-5 will never get him fired. I just don't see it but that is a HUGE mountain to climb at this point. I know nobody wants to hear it but the injuries and playing all this youth are the biggest issue right now.

There are 130 FBS schools. Even giving our 10 and 3 year in 2018 I think it’s safe to say we are somewhere between 100 and 130 for overall record in Dino’s tenor to this point. That’s just a safe guess without actually crunching the numbers. It wouldn’t surprise me if we were in the bottom 15 teams win percentage wise. That coupled with the swan dive trajectory of the program since 2018 and no bottom in sight its pretty easy to see why the pitchforks are coming out and torches are being lit. Not many P5 fan bases wouldn’t be ready to burn it down.

Last edited:
Disagree, 6-6, 7-5 will never get him fired. I just don't see it but that is a HUGE mountain to climb at this point. I know nobody wants to hear it but the injuries and playing all this youth are the biggest issue right now.
I have many problems with this teams fundamentals, but from a purely coaching stand, answer me this. Why when the Liberty game was at the no win point did we keep playing Rex? Would it not been better for developement to play your best QB with a future, because Rex will not be here regardless. A missed coaching opportunity is no coaching. So next year will we have Devito and no backup with any game experience again?

I have many problems with this teams fundamentals, but from a purely coaching stand, answer me this. Why when the Liberty game was at the no win point did we keep playing Rex? Would it not been better for developement to play your best QB with a future, because Rex will not be here regardless. A missed coaching opportunity is no coaching. So next year will we have Devito and no backup with any game experience again?

Clearly they aren't ready for game action. Plain and simple. Sure in case of emergency and Rex has to play the rest of the way and needs reps. I get it, maybe we lose every game from here on in but that I am sure was the reasoning. Get Rex all the reps as the back ups aren't ready. Again, whether people want to hear it or not. What good does running out a true freshman or two that was never slated to play this year going to do? The issue is Summers not being able to get a few reps whatever his situation is I don't know.

Again, I would agree the QB position and the development and recruiting is 100% an issue but but playing a kid who isn't ready isn't the answer either. It's a huge issue and certainly not trying to say otherwise

I would think that 1 or 2 of them will see action the last 3-4 games though.

Last edited:
Bear I believe it’s because the frosh both we’re playing scout team and had very little playbook reps. Maybe in the coming weeks that will change. I would think it would have to given we are one play away from Rex going down and one of them going in. If I had to guess, they are getting taught up on certain plays at this point.

Dino is 1-4 against Pitt
2-2 against Wake Forest
1–1 against Duke
1-3 against Louisville

Look what our home record is vs the ACC the last two years. We are two and four with an OT win. The four losses weren't even close games. 2018 was a great home season. 2016 and 2017 we had those big wins but the rest of the home performance was pretty bad. We need to be consistently competitive at home before we can even think about wins.

Loss to Clemson
Loss to Pitt where the final score was closer to the actual game
Loss to BC where we were blown out
Win vs Wake in OT
Win vs GA Tech that was easy
Loss to Duke where we got our butts kicked

Dino throws in the towel and subs in a freshman, so everyone can complain that Dino quit on the team again ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom