Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

Dino didn’t quit stop it. That’s nuts. That’s not the reason they lost. The offense sucks and calling the TO’s just prolongs the loss. Wind the clock, get out and go home, get nobody else hurt.

we just played 2 ranked teams to open the season. Regroup and open the Dome.

I have zero problem getting the game over.
he was totally lost, thats what was concerning. he selfishly lost interest and appeared way out of the persona of a leader. i felt sorry for him ---especially if the team sees that. he always needs to be the COACH.

Everyone is complaining about the quitting, but he made even worse decisions this game. Maybe someone will go through the horror of all the bad coaching and play calling decisions.

The one that annoyed me the most was early in second quarter after we scored to make it 10-7. It was 1st down on the Pitt 35 and Pitt ran the ball for 1 yard, and they got called for a illegal formation. Every coach accepts the penalty and makes it 1st and 15. Dino for some unknown reason declines the penalty to make it 2nd and 9. Pitt ends up just barely getting a first down, and continues to score a TD.

1st and 15 is such a great gift. It forces the offense into gaining an extra 5 yards. Many coaches are inclined to throw to pick up the lost yards, and it puts the D at an instant advantage. It's such an advantage, it's downright stupid to decline. Taking 2nd and 9 over that tells your defense that you can't hold their D to under a 6 yard play. It's gutless and stupid. If you don't think your D can hold a team to a 6 yard gain then you have already given up.
This is a strange decision to be most annoyed about. 1st and 20, definitely. 1st and 15 vs 2nd and 9 current seem like that big of a gulf. I don't know that most coaches would think of 1st and 15 to be "such a great gift". Those probably get picked up as frequently as 2nd and 9. Maybe somebody has the stats on that one - I dont.

This is a strange decision to be most annoyed about. 1st and 20, definitely. 1st and 15 vs 2nd and 9 current seem like that big of a gulf. I don't know that most coaches would think of 1st and 15 to be "such a great gift". Those probably get picked up as frequently as 2nd and 9. Maybe somebody has the stats on that one - I dont.

I've never seen a coach decline that penalty, ever. Go ahead a show some proof of another coach doing that.

I hate the giving up part- it’s just too presumptive to assume we wouldn’t score, as stranger things have happened in many a football game. Unlikely we would score? Sure. But to be so definitive tells me that he gave up on his offense, and decided it was a lost cause & not worth the effort- at least that’s how it translates.
So the question has to be asked; “Why are we so inept, even in game 2, that the HC seems clueless & willing to give up”? Our entire game plan was scuttled... vs Pitt? THAT, is what’s unacceptable.

50% of coaches decline this. Prove me wrong.

LOL ... you're wrong, dude. 1st and 15 is far better than 2nd and 9.

To convert a 1st and 15 you need to get 5 yards 3 times
To convert a 2nd and 9 you need to get only 4.5 yards just twice.

If you need proof on which is the statistically better option, then I'm sorry you lack basic math skills and common sense.

Im afraid Dino might not be a program builder, rather a turn around talent. I have purchased numerous businesses to help grow and add capabilities to our core company over the years. We have a team that handles the integration and if required the turn around. Dino would be excellent at that role.
Once the company is stabilized we typically bring in someone else to build the business.
I think Dino expected to land a major job after our 10-3 year. Its why we didn't have a great recruiting class. Now he is in uncharted waters as he has always moved from job to job his whole career and prior to that moved as an Army kid.
Its in his DNA. I dont think he is built to build. I hope im wrong but his entire career and life points strongly against it.

Navy. Navy kid.
Anchors aweigh...
No caissons rolling along...sadly.:(

Last edited:
Everyone is complaining about the quitting, but he made even worse decisions this game. Maybe someone will go through the horror of all the bad coaching and play calling decisions.

The one that annoyed me the most was early in second quarter after we scored to make it 10-7. It was 1st down on the Pitt 35 and Pitt ran the ball for 1 yard, and they got called for a illegal formation. Every coach accepts the penalty and makes it 1st and 15. Dino for some unknown reason declines the penalty to make it 2nd and 9. Pitt ends up just barely getting a first down, and continues to score a TD.

1st and 15 is such a great gift. It forces the offense into gaining an extra 5 yards. Many coaches are inclined to throw to pick up the lost yards, and it puts the D at an instant advantage. It's such an advantage, it's downright stupid to decline. Taking 2nd and 9 over that tells your defense that you can't hold their D to under a 6 yard play. It's gutless and stupid. If you don't think your D can hold a team to a 6 yard gain then you have already given up.
As bad as that was, and it was a bad decision, the decision not to use his time outs was much worse. All of the other things can be at least debated. To not use your time outs is just quitting. And there is no debate on whether that is right or not. Really, in anything in life or in sports.

LOL ... you're wrong, dude. 1st and 15 is far better than 2nd and 9.

To convert a 1st and 15 you need to get 5 yards 3 times
To convert a 2nd and 9 you need to get only 4.5 yards just twice.

If you need proof on which is the statistically better option, then I'm sorry you lack basic math skills and common sense.
It's not as simple as that. There are 3 attempts to pick up 15 vs 2 attempts to pick up 9. It's not as simple as 5+5+5 is harder than 4.5+4.5. There's a lot more in play than that, but if you want to be degrading, have at it, I'm moving on.
Btw, it doesn't change that of all the things to be mad about in this game that it was that decision.

It's not as simple as that. There are 3 attempts to pick up 15 vs 2 attempts to pick up 9. It's not as simple as 5+5+5 is harder than 4.5+4.5. There's a lot more in play than that, but if you want to be degrading, have at it, I'm moving on.
Btw, it doesn't change that of all the things to be mad about in this game that it was that decision.

So you would rather have them try to average only 4.5 yards per play vs having to average 5 yards per play?

Hmmm interesting.

“he’s been very clear that has seen these first two games as basically preseason.”
what did they do in preseason then? Preseason is time to figure out things not 3 games in or last year 9 games in with the OL.

Let's go back to his call of moving 4 olmen to accommodate the center injury last year blowing up the offensive vibe. And the fact cavanagh is still here is just nuts. 8-9 games last year to identify that lethal mistake.

As bad as that was, and it was a bad decision, the decision not to use his time outs was much worse. All of the other things can be at least debated. To not use your time outs is just quitting. And there is no debate on whether that is right or not. Really, in anything in life or in sports.

No, you're right. that one stuck with me, you stop them there and force them to punt, who knows what could've happened. But yes, quitting is pretty bad. I was upset that he didn't use his first half time outs also, we could've had the ball at midfield with over 1 minute to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom