Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

Dino isnt going anywhere, lol. We could go 0-11 this year and his seat would still be ice cold. There’s a reason the University gave him an extension last year...they want him around for the long-term (and rightfully so). He’s already proven himself thus far in his tenure here. The 2017 season with the Clemson win (would’ve ended better if Dungey didn’t get knocked out) and the 2018 season obviously (1 play away from beating Clemson on the road). The issue now is he doesn’t have the personnel or talent to run his offense. This is 1000% his fault for his failures in recruiting, but we just need to bite the bullet and get thru this season as we have a solid QB + some good oline talent coming in next year’s class. I’m confident that once Dino gets the personnel he needs to run his offense, the offense will be humming again and we’ll start to see the “Will Dino leave for a better job?” threads again.
I don't disagree with that. But today was something I never thought I would see from any team. And I sure don't want to see it again.

Today’s performance was a disgrace. And Dino should be held accountable. That said Pitt has one of the best defenses in the country. Including all the teams that haven’t played yet.
How do we hold Dino accountable? I favor a stern talking too.

He is accountable for his record at the end of the season, not one loss to a heavily favored team, unless he is on the hot seat, which he is not.

Dino isnt going anywhere, lol. We could go 0-11 this year and his seat would still be ice cold. There’s a reason the University gave him an extension last year...they want him around for the long-term (and rightfully so). He’s already proven himself thus far in his tenure here. The 2017 season with the Clemson win (would’ve ended better if Dungey didn’t get knocked out) and the 2018 season obviously (1 play away from beating Clemson on the road). The issue now is he doesn’t have the personnel or talent to run his offense. This is 1000% his fault for his failures in recruiting, but we just need to bite the bullet and get thru this season as we have a solid QB + some good oline talent coming in next year’s class. I’m confident that once Dino gets the personnel he needs to run his offense, the offense will be humming again and we’ll start to see the “Will Dino leave for a better job?” threads again.

I no longer believe "we have a solid QB". Sorry. He's not a baller.
We've supposedly been getting "good line talent" with all the measurables - big frame, long reach, quick feet - these last few years, and our line play has gotten worse.

For several years now, we seem to recruit these promising young players who don't see the field on the line, or at linebacker or in the backfield. Defensive backs, yes, they contribute. But almost nowhere else on the field do these promising young recruits seem to get on the field before about year 3 in the program.

Is it really that hard to pick up our offense, when we famously "don't have a playbook"? Why aren't more of these young guys being given a chance, when the more experienced ones are crapping the bed?

Our player development seems to take forever. And after 5 years, we STILL seem to have no depth. Why is that? Seriously.

You guys are crazy. Write this one off. Enjoy some football on Saturday. Ive retired from critiquing the team the game plan the other stuff they may be dealing with. Global pandemic has thrown everything into a blender. We actually had a good schedule before this rewrite

firing this guy is a preposterous thought.

I find nothing enjoyable about watching this team so far.
Last year was pretty awful, too. Really disappointing.
I don't know how people keep following a team with the commitment that some of you do with a team that is not even competitive. I try to hang in there, but, man, we are just brutal to watch AGAIN.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the at Clemson game when they were clearly going to score a TD to take the lead with about a minute left and he didn't call any TOs to stop the clock for a final drive. There needs to be a clock management coach. I'll do it for 100 dollars per game.

LOL ... you're wrong, dude. 1st and 15 is far better than 2nd and 9.

To convert a 1st and 15 you need to get 5 yards 3 times
To convert a 2nd and 9 you need to get only 4.5 yards just twice.

If you need proof on which is the statistically better option, then I'm sorry you lack basic math skills and common sense.

But from Dino's point of view, if it's 2nd and 9, you only need one stop for them to punt.

Giving them 3 plays to get the first down is asking more of your defense.

We have scored 1 td in two games he's an offensive coach.
Yeah, no one is happy with that, but how are you going to hold him accountable after just 2 games into the season?

Yeah, no one is happy with that, but how are you going to hold him accountable after just 2 games into the season?

Is he going to make changes? If not that definitely is on him.

firstdownlikelihood_all.png

This is for the NFL but it looks like 1st and 15 and 2nd and 9 are basically the same

Is he going to make changes? If not that definitely is on him.
it’s on him now. He will be accountable at the end of the season. They have no great QB to bring in and that is the biggest need.

I find nothing enjoyable about watching this team so far.
Last year was pretty awful, too. Really disappointing.
I don't know how people keep following a team with the commitment that some of you do with that is not even competitive. I try to hang in there, but, man, we are just brutal to watch AGAIN.

I do think the defense is a lot better and has come a long way from the BC game last year.

LOL ... you guys need to learn math. One stop gets you to 3rd down.

Yes, but in my defense it's late and I've been drinking all day.
Still, the general point is you want fewer stops. You don't give the offense any extra chance to make 1st down.

Last edited:
I do think the defense is a lot better and has come a long way from the BC game last year.

The defense is small but some of the guys who were expected to be stud linebackers are working out well as quasi-ends in this defense, like Cantin-Arku. He seemed to have a good game, as did Mikel Jones.

The defense is small but some of the guys who were expected to be stud linebackers are working out well as quasi-ends in this defense, like Cantin-Arku. He seemed to have a good game, as did Mikel Jones.
I don’t think anyone is complaining about the defense in any regard... recruiting, development, scheme etc. This defense is really solid, with talent going pro and being back filled by young guys stepping up.

This offense though... I’m at a loss. We have an “offensive coach” and I’m not being dramatic when I say this is the worst offense I’ve ever seen. I’m kind of in shock at what it’s become.

I don't disagree with that. But today was something I never thought I would see from any team. And I sure don't want to see it again.
It was the equivalent of JB putting in the walkons instead of desperation trunk monkey.

IF he goes 0-11 and they don't consider getting rid of him or at least get him on the hot seat then they just wasted a lot of money on the Dome renovation when it comes to the Football aspect. People will go see the "fancy new Dome" once just to say they saw it, then they won't go to any football games for a long while.

Being the Football coach at SU can't be a job for life where wins and losses doesn't matter. If they aren't winning and you don't fire him or at least consider it, then don't complain about no fans at the games.

And if he doesn't have the personnel or talent to run his offense, who's fault is that? Last I knew being a college football head coach means you also recruit. So he can't pass the buck on that.

And Im pretty sure there aren't any schools knocking down his door or blowing up his agents phones these days. If Dino fails at Syracuse he is going back to the MAC or the SUN BELT or something. His Power 5 days are over.

Even grob played till the end. His players left it all out there against nd and came back to win a game for a lame dunk coach. This is an awful message. Dino should resign if he doesn’t want to be here

View attachment 188304

This is for the NFL but it looks like 1st and 15 and 2nd and 9 are basically the same
There is another chart from NFL data from 2000 - 2011 that shows there is a higher conversion percentage for 3rd and 6 than for 3rd and 4, which further muddies the water if using average yards per play as a decision-maker. In other words, using DomeStrangers earlier logic that 2nd and 9 only requires 4.5 ypp to convert (compared to 5 ypp for 1st and 15), if the offense picks up 4.5 yards to make it 3rd and 4.5, it has a lower chance of converting than if it were to get 4.5 ypp on both 1st and 15 and 2nd and 10.5, resulting in 3rd and 6. This supports the thought it is a deeper decision than just average ypp required. At the very least it shows there isn't a clear cut right answer.
But, DomeStranger point out me no good at math.

IF he goes 0-11 and they don't consider getting rid of him or at least get him on the hot seat then they just wasted a lot of money on the Dome renovation when it comes to the Football aspect. People will go see the "fancy new Dome" once just to say they saw it, then they won't go to any football games for a long while.

Being the Football coach at SU can't be a job for life where wins and losses doesn't matter. If they aren't winning and you don't fire him or at least consider it, then don't complain about no fans at the games.

And if he doesn't have the personnel or talent to run his offense, who's fault is that? Last I knew being a college football head coach means you also recruit. So he can't pass the buck on that.

And Im pretty sure there aren't any schools knocking down his door or blowing up his agents phones these days. If Dino fails at Syracuse he is going back to the MAC or the SUN BELT or something. His Power 5 days are over.
I don't think any coach should survive 0-11 or even 1-10 in year 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom