Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

I didn’t know their WR coaching jobs were open
...and I don't know if you've seen our WRs.
(II'm joking. It was just too sweet a setup to not take.)

So you would rather have them try to average only 4.5 yards per play vs having to average 5 yards per play?

Hmmm interesting.
I mean, I'm not arguing it either way, because I think both are acceptable depending on the situation. I'm no statistician, but average yard per play seems like
not enough of a metric to really do a thoughtful examination between the two choices.

Dino didn’t quit stop it. That’s nuts. That’s not the reason they lost. The offense sucks and calling the TO’s just prolongs the loss. Wind the clock, get out and go home, get nobody else hurt.

we just played 2 ranked teams to open the season. Regroup and open the Dome.

I have zero problem getting the game over.
Dino is in his fifth year and comes from the offensive side of the ball. "The offense sucks" reflects poorly on him at this point. Two ranked teams? Okay, but early season rankings are just pre-season rankings that have since been further watered down as Big Ten and Pac 12 schools were dropped going into the second week. And guess what...Pittsburgh popped up, or should I say propped up, at #25 going into the second week.

Today’s performance was a disgrace. And Dino should be held accountable. That said Pitt has one of the best defenses in the country. Including all the teams that haven’t played yet.

or you live to fight another day.
I take this stance everyday trading. Play defense on your account is the #1 rule.
It’s alright guys Dino was just trying to get the achievement “No rest for the wicked” achievement: call no timeouts in a 2 score game in the second half
1.2% of active coaches have this achievement*

Yes, TD struggles with quick reads and getting rid of the ball, yes the play calling is LSD level sometimes, yes we lost two running backs...but our offensive line recruiting must be absolutely horrible if this is the best product we can put in front of our playmakers. Freshmen next year won’t be able to step in and make a miraculous turn around. Lots of whiffs on the recruiting trail with the O line. UNC and PITT might stay ranked this year because of the circumstances and lack of teams playing, but neither are that impressive. Are we happy as a fanbase with 1 great win (Clemson) and a beating a few ranked opponents on occasion? I’m not.

Dino is in his fifth year and comes from the offensive side of the ball. "The offense sucks" reflects poorly on him at this point. Two ranked teams? Okay, but early season rankings are just pre-season rankings that have since been further watered down as Big Ten and Pac 12 schools were dropped going into the second week. And guess what...Pittsburgh popped up, or should I say propped up, at #25 going into the second week.

ok fine Pitt shouldn’t be ranked, but they were 22 point favorites or whatever and EVERYONE said they were great and we’re going to destroy us. better?

All hat no saddle comes to mind. He has sucked since Lewis left.
Name one other major college coach who had to replace both coordinators, followed up by a losing season that eventually became the guy. Name one.
i hope Dino becomes the first and magically morphs into a
Ohana unicorn.

All hat no saddle comes to mind. He has sucked since Lewis left.
Name one other major college coach who had to replace both coordinators, followed up by a losing season that eventually became the guy. Name one.
i hope Dino becomes the first and magically morphs into a
Ohana unicorn.
In fairness, the defense isn’t bad, so he’s halfway there.

Also in fairness, he’s had 1 good offensive year since he’s been here, which probably had more to do with a really good senior QB than anything else. Point being the players drove it, and turnover is high in college. Talent on a roster can change quickly. He can still win if he gets good players.

(Don’t get me wrong. I hear you, and blaming recruiting in year 5 doesn’t work. My point isn’t meant to refute what you wrote. It’s more to give a reason to believe in the hope of Hawaiian unicorn magic.)

The stat nerds figured out that if you have a man on 2nd with nobody out, you have a better chance of scoring than if you have a man on 3rd with 1 out.

With nobody out, you have three chances at a base hit. With one out, you only have two chances.

1st and 15, the defense needs to get 3 stops. 2nd and 9 you only need 2 stops (it's like saying we held you to 1 yard on 1st down).

The stat nerds figured out that if you have a man on 2nd with nobody out, you have a better chance of scoring than if you have a man on 3rd with 1 out.

With nobody out, you have three chances at a base hit. With one out, you only have two chances.

1st and 15, the defense needs to get 3 stops. 2nd and 9 you only need 2 stops (it's like saying we held you to 1 yard on 1st down).
This. I have no idea what choice is better, but looking at it through the lens of yards per try doesn’t necessarily prove the point. It’s evidence, no doubt, and it’s probably a rule of thumb that I’d use as a coach, where I wouldn’t have time to make complicated calculations. But it doesn’t definitively prove the point.

Which one of the Hanson Brothers was he?

1600564331530.png

I have been a HUGE Dino supporter since Day 1. Heading into this crazy season I thought there was no way his job would be in jeopardy. Only 2 games into the season, I still think he survives this year even under the "WORSE CASE SCENARIO" type of season which is 2 wins, 1 win or 0 wins. (which unfortunately may be realistic the way things are looking)

WITH THAT SAID THOUGH...... I hope Wildhack is starting to put together a list of candidates and looking around the college football landscape. This must be on his radar and he must be prepared! Not saying Dino is toast, but to think his seat isn't RED HOT right now is just putting your head in the sand and being naive. If they don't pull the trigger after this year (and he gets a COVID pass), then anything short of a winning season in 2021 gets him fired. You wouldn't be able to justify keeping him around at that point.

I have been a HUGE Dino supporter since Day 1. Heading into this crazy season I thought there was no way his job would be in jeopardy. Only 2 games into the season, I still think he survives this year even under the "WORSE CASE SCENARIO" type of season which is 2 wins, 1 win or 0 wins. (which unfortunately may be realistic the way things are looking)

WITH THAT SAID THOUGH... I hope Wildhack is starting to put together a list of candidates and looking around the college football landscape. This must be on his radar and he must be prepared! Not saying Dino is toast, but to think his seat isn't RED HOT right now is just putting your head in the sand and being naive. If they don't pull the trigger after this year (and he gets a COVID pass), then anything short of a winning season in 2021 gets him fired. You wouldn't be able to justify keeping him around at that point.

Wildhack better have a list of candidates ready for all major positions at all times or he wouldn't be doing his job. You never know what the future will bring, so you better be ready.

WITH THAT SAID THOUGH... I hope Wildhack is starting to put together a list of candidates and looking around the college football landscape. This must be on his radar and he must be prepared! Not saying Dino is toast, but to think his seat isn't RED HOT right now is just putting your head in the sand and being naive. If they don't pull the trigger after this year (and he gets a COVID pass), then anything short of a winning season in 2021 gets him fired. You wouldn't be able to justify keeping him around at that point.

It shouldn’t be red hot yet. We could we any of our home games. But if the season doesn’t turn around fast, then by season’s end it should be hot.

That being said SU doesn’t like to fire HCs. Watch us go 3-8 this year then 5-7 next year. They will try to sell us fans an improved record and recruiting is doing better. Which usually is just delaying the inevitable.

I wanted Dino here before he was even mentioned for the job. I would love for him to stay here as our HC. But for that to happen he needs to fix the O ASAP and bring in some playmakers in O. This is year 5 and we don’t have guys on O. The O has been historically bad for 15 games now. He has been trying to fix this O without success and has yet to recruit a good RB or WR. Decent undersized guys aren’t good enough.

It shouldn’t be red hot yet. We could we any of our home games. But if the season doesn’t turn around fast, then by season’s end it should be hot.

That being said SU doesn’t like to fire HCs. Watch us go 3-8 this year then 5-7 next year. They will try to sell us fans an improved record and recruiting is doing better. Which usually is just delaying the inevitable.

I wanted Dino here before he was even mentioned for the job. I would love for him to stay here as our HC. But for that to happen he needs to fix the O ASAP and bring in some playmakers in O. This is year 5 and we don’t have guys on O. The O has been historically bad for 15 games now. He has been trying to fix this O without success and has yet to recruit a good RB or WR. Decent undersized guys aren’t good enough.
Dino can't survive two more losing seasons.

2 people made Dino looked amazing during his tenure. Lewis and Dungey. It’s that simple. I love the guy as a guy but him not calling timeouts just for the overall perception of how it looked was beyond wrong. Do it for your kids. Do it for the program. Do it for the fan base so we know you are at least trying even if deep down you’re not. It seems like he’s very okay with losing as well in his attitude. At some point you gotta say the fired up thing

Yeah, it works both ways though, the defense has the same extra opportunity to have a win. Incomplete pass, now it's 2nd and 15 and your odds get much worse.

Also, since the entire premise of football is to move the ball closer to your goal line, accepting the penalty helps your cause by 5 yards. There are times you can override this concept, but you should have sound reasoning why you are doing so.

Dino isnt going anywhere, lol. We could go 0-11 this year and his seat would still be ice cold. There’s a reason the University gave him an extension last year...they want him around for the long-term (and rightfully so). He’s already proven himself thus far in his tenure here. The 2017 season with the Clemson win (would’ve ended better if Dungey didn’t get knocked out) and the 2018 season obviously (1 play away from beating Clemson on the road). The issue now is he doesn’t have the personnel or talent to run his offense. This is 1000% his fault for his failures in recruiting, but we just need to bite the bullet and get thru this season as we have a solid QB + some good oline talent coming in next year’s class. I’m confident that once Dino gets the personnel he needs to run his offense, the offense will be humming again and we’ll start to see the “Will Dino leave for a better job?” threads again.

What drives me crazy is that we see new coaches coming in across the league and having success. We are in year 5 of Dino and have regressed to Gerg levels.
I have heard all of the excuses, it's Syracuse, it's cold, blah blah blah. A coach can come in here and be competitive.

Coaches have to come in here and coach.

This is not a hard game. Block the other guy, tackle the other guy.

We can't even do that.

Like Lombardi said, "gentlemen, THIS is a football."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom