Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

Probably the biggest disappointment of his tenure was an inability to finally have a killer class coming off 10-3.
Not that it wasn't a killer class. It was ordinary. This year is better coming off 5-7

Honestly, there is only one reason to watch at this point. Because of Covid, there is nothing else to do. I will say this, if I find anything, I really mean anything, I am doing that and not watching. And for years, I skipped playing poker tournaments to watch this team. I mean the G-rob years. The Shafer years. To not use the time outs when yes, it was slim, but we still had a chance to win, is unacceptable to me. Others are free to disagree. But why play any games if you are afraid to get injuries. You try to get the ball back. Period. I'm not mad about it. I'm sad.
I will watch because that is what I do, and yes, not too much else happening for me. But what am I even hoping to watch?

What was that last 5 minutes?

When he decided to punt on 4th and 5 near midfield down 2 scores with only 8 minutes to go, that was it.

The defense did its part and held, but then we got it back with less than 5 minutes to go, still down 2 scores. I'm glad he gave Rex the chance there at the end, but Rex missed his passes, too. That was Rex's opportunity to win the job. Missed it.

I'm glad Jawahr Jordan got it going there in the 2nd half a bit, and I liked what Sean Tucker did. Those guys ran pretty hard in the 2nd half. Small signs of improvement.

Like much of this board said, this year doesn't count and maybe he feels that way. It's indefensible. He and Wildhack are going to have that conversation sooner than anyone of us thought. I'm friends with a booster for the program and I'm hesitant to check in with him, but if anyone has a pulse of what's going on at that level, it'll be him. Might have to reach out to him. That was Shafer-esque.

All the momentum and positivity from that 10 win season is gone. This is Shafers last year offensive ineptness. Were in disastrous trouble and Babers looks lost.
It's even worse than that offensively, at least we had some idea of what Lester was trying to accomplish. Can someone tell what our offensive identity is? Because OITNF doesn't quite describe it anymore. We at least had a couple new wrinkles in the first quarter - any jet sweeps after that? Gilbert better get it together in a hurry or we are going to set records for futility.

LMFAO at Pitt being a ranked team. There's only like 39 P5 teams. Still laughing over this one.

that’s fair but EVERYONE has been saying Pitt is a great team and would destroy us. Same thing with UNC. But as normal, the revisionist historians don’t think they’re good now because we hung around.

we’d be 2-0 with a competent offense. we wouldn’t be 1-1 if Dino used all three timeouts. I personally don’t see it as quitting. But people get hung up on dumb stuff.

We’ve now been sacked 14 times in two games.

Like much of this board said, this year doesn't count and maybe he feels that way. It's indefensible. He and Wildhack are going to have that conversation sooner than anyone of us thought. I'm friends with a booster for the program and I'm hesitant to check in with him, but if anyone has a pulse of what's going on at that level, it'll be him. Might have to reach out to him. That was Shafer-esque.
What are the worst things a teammate can say about you? 1. You are selfish and not a team player. 2. you are a quitter and we can't count on you. Is there anything that comes close to those two?

I don’t disagree. But my point was specific to that thought.

His players aren’t dumb... that type of thing doesn’t foster faith or trust with the players.

You fight until you can’t fight anymore.

or you live to fight another day.

that’s a fair but EVERYONE has been saying Pitt is a great team and would destroy us. Same thing with UNC. But as normal, the revisionist historians don’t think they’re good now because we hung around.

we’d be 2-0 with a competent offense. we wouldn’t be 1-1 if Dino used all three timeouts. I personally don’t see it as quitting. But people get hung up on dumb stuff.

We’ve now been sacked 14 times in two games.
"people get hung up on dumb stuff"? Not playing to the whistle in a two score game isn't dumb stuff. It's unacceptable. We wouldn't nor would any coach, accept that from a player, we should expect no less from a coach.

Agree with this..

Except this year does count.

Conferences had teams literally begging to play. Most are going to be playing now. There likely will be a National Champion just like every other year.

A lot of these players will be back next year and you’re building the foundation on shaky ground by acting like a full season is a throwaway.

I’m not saying he is... but I dont necessarily hear the passion for playing from him and his coaching sure as **** doesn’t reflect it.

What are the worst things a teammate can say about you? 1. You are selfish and not a team player. 2. you are a quitter and we can't count on you. Is there anything that comes close to those two?

There isn't. The minute you get hit with that tag, you have to work hard to come back from it. Giving up as a coach will cause him to lose confidence among his players.

is Dino accepting his pay this year? I guess it counts then.

This might be it for HCDB. I think he came to a realization today that he couldn't win so he quit. No ifs and or buts. He quit with 4:16 to go in a two possession game.

The saddest part was this game was a moral victory until 4:16. The defense played very hard. The O-line did the best they could. Everybody was fighting a uphill battle vs a ranked team on the road who was supposed to beat us by 25 and instead of a building block. The coach quit. I have been critical of some of HCDB recruits but never him until now. Quitting is not leadership its just quitting UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Agree with this..

Except this year does count.

Conferences had teams literally begging to play. Most are going to be playing now. There likely will be a National Champion just like every other year.

A lot of these players will be back next year and you’re building the foundation on shaky ground by acting like a full season is a throwaway.

I’m not saying he is... but I dont necessarily hear the passion for playing from him and his coaching sure as **** doesn’t reflect someone who is leading men.

I totally agree. I have been one of the main opponents of the "season doesn't count" talk. As you mentioned, you have players and coaches who would love to be out there and they see this. As bad as the offense is, you don't quit with a game that was within reach.

Let’s see what he has to say after the game. Dino is a unique person and he usually has a reason for everything he does. I hate not using those timeouts, but all the talk now is about Dino and not this offense and DeVito. He just took all the heat away from his players. It depends what glasses you’re looking through. I want to hear his explanation before I run him out of town.

Let’s see what he has to say after the game. Dino is a unique person and he usually has a reason for everything he does. I hate not using those timeouts, but all the talk now is about Dino and not this offense and DeVito. He just took all the heat away from his players. It depends what glasses you’re looking through. I want to hear his explanation before I run him out of town.
I want to hear it too. And guess what? There is actually not a single thing he can say that will change my mind.

I hate to think changing my avatar during the past sevral weeks had anything to do with the way this season has started... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom