Dino Gets Contract Extension !! | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Gets Contract Extension !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyouts don't mean a damned thing if a wealthy school wants a coach. Exhibit 1: Jimbo Fisher had a huge buyout at FSU. It didn't stop aTm from hiring him.
This is a really important point! He's not locked down. Despite the buy-out clause, the university, the AD, and the community need to give Dino reasons to stay at every turn. This contract is just the beginning.

He can still leave ? Are we guaranteed anything other than a buy out ?

This is a really important point! He's not locked down. Despite the buy-out clause, the university, the AD, and the community need to give Dino reasons to stay at every turn. This contract is just the beginning.

Of course he can still leave and of course other schools can buy him out
The big picture is Syracuse University is doing everything in it's POWER to keep him and make us great again.

No, the only thing we are guaranteed is the buyout unless there is specific language in the contract which I doubt is there. As someone noted previously if a blue blood program comes offering the world there is little SU can do but with this extension SU has done everything it can to ensure Babers will be here for the long haul. That said were not guaranteed anything more then the buyout if say USC came calling next year.

I know, I am tentatively planning my trip for my one game a year and I am torn between Clemson or Pitt in the dome. Clemson will likely be the choice, but I think that the Pitt beatdown could be fun too.
Clemson.

I hate Pitt so much. But Clemson. You deserve it.

DuQGKzXXgAA7tpl.jpg
There is literally tears in my eyes as I am reading this ...

They didn’t slip to those levels under Jake. It was never not true. Ridiculous assertion. Football cratered because of intentional decisions by new management

Bad leadership and bad hires by his successors drove the program into the ground
We were already losing to Temple and Rutgers. We were still playing on AstroTurf and were told we couldn't upgrade because we didn't want to mess with the track and lose the BE Championships. The Dome was old and stale and looked like a big concrete blob. To think that Jake's complacency wasn't a major cause of our decline is short-sighted. Recruiting had fallen way off and huge part of that was how fast we were falling behind in the facilities arm race. We were bringing in guys like Giruzzi and Flaherty instead of guys like Greenwood and Bulluck. Matt Hale instead of McNabb. Beddle and Bembo instead of Harrison and Johnson

None of us knew what motivated Dino, but I think the fact that Syracuse plays in a Conference and Division that is among the top in the country, be in the national conversation, and play his offense indoors were some major motivators.

So happy to see this extension and looking forward to seeing Cuse in Orlando!

The decline began in the late 90's, not the mid 2000's. it certainly wasn't just Jake but I felt even he got complacement late in his distinguished tenure here.

Yeah they hadn't won 10 games in a season in what, three years?

It didn't become a 10 win in four year program because of Jake or P. That was by choice.

Cue the “he can still get bought out” threads.

That's the Syracuse isn't committed to big time football thread, followed by "With All the ACC Money" posts as well

Essentially "this doesnt mean much in the end, he will still do what he wants"

true but they have stepped up and are doing the right things to try and keep him here. At the end of the day, Dino has done his part by rebuilding, Wildhack and the University have done theirs as well. Now with continued success, the next part will be how much does Dino really like it here and value the total package of being the football coach at Syracuse, some of these factories have such crazy expectations. what program could truly hire him away? Who knows but it won't be this year and it may never happen.

I feel like people saying he could still leave are just observing the obvious or just being Syracuse type people which is pretty much negative all the time

Not for nothing guys, our fans did something incredible coming out to support and beat a national attendance trend for a team thats sucked for 20 years. We all freaked out about home attendance, but taking a step back and seeing things realistically we showed growth that 99% of the league did not.

Dino’s probably touched by that. Our AD has supported him every step of the way. SU has provided him a growing spotlight at ESPN, and a future there undoubtedly.

This may be the perfect place for Dino and I think he’s well aware.

That's the Syracuse isn't committed to big time football thread, followed by "With All the ACC Money" posts as well
How about the, " you can't win at Syracuse threads" Money, facilities, private school, weather, ECT.... I always felt it was BS and if we got the right guy here he could bring us back, of course I had the advantage of being in the Dome from 87 to 98.

We were already losing to Temple and Rutgers. We were still playing on AstroTurf and were told we couldn't upgrade because we didn't want to mess with the track and lose the BE Championships. The Dome was old and stale and looked like a big concrete blob. To think that Jake's complacency wasn't a major cause of our decline is short-sighted. Recruiting had fallen way off and huge part of that was how fast we were falling behind in the facilities arm race. We were bringing in guys like Giruzzi and Flaherty instead of guys like Greenwood and Bulluck. Matt Hale instead of McNabb. Beddle and Bembo instead of Harrison and Johnson

FWIW, Giruzzi was plagued by injuries, He was a solid talent with some nice offers

Essentially "this doesnt mean much in the end, he will still do what he wants"

I will never understand the mentality of sh#tting on great news. If the time ever comes, you'll have plenty of room and company to moan and groan. But now? All for a possible "I told you so" moment down the line? You have to be a real miserable b#stard to indulge in that kind of thinking.

None of us knew what motivated Dino, but I think the fact that Syracuse plays in a Conference and Division that is among the top in the country, be in the national conversation, and play his offense indoors were some major motivators.

So happy to see this extension and looking forward to seeing Cuse in Orlando!

Actually Dino has spoken quite openly about what motivates him. He wants to win a national championship and is committed to doing that at Syracuse. He wants to see the same level of commitment from everyone associated with the program - athletics administration, university leadership and community. Signing this extension indicates that he has faith that level of commitment exists or is well on its way. As long as he is paid a competitive wage, feels he can attract and retain a strong assistant coaching and support staff, sees a commitment to upgrading facilities and sees the community support the program we have very little to worry about and I can see Dino retiring from Syracuse.

Next big hurdle to come is a major upgrade in student-athlete housing (a pet peeve of his). Funny, when I first heard Dino talk about a National Championship in football I'll admit I rolled my eyes a bit. But having gotten to know John Wildhack and having met a good portion of his staff it is evident they share that commitment. For the first time in years I believe that goal may actually be in reach. Amazing turnaround!

Yup.

I think this contract closes the door on a lateral move. Only 1-2 jobs are going to open up annually that he'd actually consider. The odds are no longer stacked against us. My gut tells me if he leaves its for the NFL.

If we get another 2-3 years out of Dino we won't be screwed as a program and be given a death sentence once he leaves IMO assuming we stick with an offense first coach and get the brightest mind in to shred ACC defenses. Any hire based on supposed recruiting ability or defensive acumen will be a colossal mistake. Losing him this year would have sent us back to the stone age. Didn't happen and we are in great shape going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom