"Dino needs to roll the dice" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Dino needs to roll the dice"

Here is what I see in Dino. A man who believes that he is a teacher of young men. He teaches life skills and football. If that approach produces wins on the scoreboard...fantastic. But he's not going to waiver in what he believes. He runs a program the way he wants to run it and won't budge. In some way, I respect him for that. He's a good man. But on the other hand, in this dog eat dog world of college football, that isn't going to allow you to survive for very long in a P4 conference. I'd also say his approach may have worked better before transfer rules and NIL changed the landscape. You could get kids in here and build them up with less chance of them leaving. Now you are turning over rosters a lot faster which makes it harder to hang on to kids and build your culture.
All due respect, but I think this is very naive. Dino is a major college football head coach. His primary goal -- well ahead of anything else -- is to win football games. Lots of them. And, like every other major college head football coach, he wants to get the glory of winning lots of football games.

They all spin yarns about molding young men. And some have probably deluded themselves into thinking that's really their primary goal. But every single one of them is maniacally focused on winning, first and foremost.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have core values. But every HC will bend those to some extent, and rationalize why they did it, to win more.

All due respect, but I think this is very naive. Dino is a major college football head coach. His primary goal -- well ahead of anything else -- is to win football games. Lots of them. And, like every other major college head football coach, he wants to get the glory of winning lots of football games.

They all spin yarns about molding young men. And some have probably deluded themselves into thinking that's really their primary goal. But every single one of them is maniacally focused on winning, first and foremost.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have core values. But every HC will bend those to some extent, and rationalize why they did it, to win more.
Then explain why Dino says things like "we aren't in the acquisition business to build our program" which he said on the coaches show last Thursday. Are we not because of limited resources or because Dino doesn't want to build a roster that way. Who knows. Probably both. Look, we all know he wants to win...no doubt. But in my opinion, he wants to do it his way because that's what he believes in.

Then explain why Dino says things like "we aren't in the acquisition business to build our program" which he said on the coaches show last Thursday. Are we not because of limited resources or because Dino doesn't want to build a roster that way. Who knows. Probably both. Look, we all know he wants to win...no doubt. But in my opinion, he wants to do it his way because that's what he believes in.
He is either talking large scale like Colorado or it’s just spin to manage expectations. We have gotten players through the portal including 3 quarterbacks and players in the secondary so we have been in the acquisition business.

Eloquently stated.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Unless you are a woman or non-binary or other identifying person, in which case, please excuse my gaffe as a poor attempt at a compliment made with the best intentions.
Sir is great. It makes me feel mature.

While we are at it we should stop kicking FG's with a kicker who is extremely inaccurate past 40 yards as well!

While we are at it we should stop kicking FG's with a kicker who is extremely inaccurate past 40 yards as well!
Szmyt was accurate but didn’t have the leg for a 57 yarder. Denaberg has the leg but not the accuracy. But if you’re going to try a 57 yarder, BD is your guy.

Szmyt was accurate but didn’t have the leg for a 57 yarder. Denaberg has the leg but not the accuracy. But if you’re going to try a 57 yarder, BD is your guy.

I'd submit we don't try a 57 yarder.

Or throw 3 straight deep balls after we get a first down at the opponent's 40.

But what do I know.

Seems like he's referring to the practice of taking in dozens of portal guys in one offseason. He's been realllly hung up on that recently.

As others have said, the guy has brought in players via traditional transfers, and via the portal, since the day he stepped foot on the Hill.

I don't care for him.

His analysis is pretty superficial - not reflective of a professional who is supposed to know more than the average fan.

He seems to have an agenda in this instance.
You expect talk radio hosts to know more than the average fan? I don't care for him either but he was right to question JB and he is right here.

Talk radio in general for me is similar to those of us on the forum - we know stuff but readily admit we aren't experts, and we only worry about one topic, pro talkers have to be able to vamp on every topic, can't be well versed in all of them.

I'd submit we don't try a 57 yarder.

Or throw 3 straight deep balls after we get a first down at the opponent's 40.

But what do I know.
I don’t disagree with that. Not really arguing for the call situationally. Just saying, accuracy is less important than leg when choosing to kick really long FGs. My guess is if we ever tried to kick one even with last year, HCDB would have called on Denaberg over Szmyt.

You expect talk radio hosts to know more than the average fan? I don't care for him either but he was right to question JB and he is right here.

Talk radio in general for me is similar to those of us on the forum - we know stuff but readily admit we aren't experts, and we only worry about one topic, pro talkers have to be able to vamp on every topic, can't be well versed in all of them.
The best sports radio talk show hosts know their stuff.

Ray Didinger in Philadelphia is a good example. He studies his craft.

Chris Russo, has become a bit of a caricature of late, but when it comes to baseball he is very knowledgeable.

Axe has never demonstrated any depth of knowledge - not even close.

And his take on Babers is at best click bait, with no feel for the underlying issues with the Syracuse Football Program.

The best sports radio talk show hosts know their stuff.

Ray Didinger in Philadelphia is a good example. He studies his craft.

Chris Russo, has become a bit of a caricature of late, but when it comes to baseball he is very knowledgeable.

Axe has never demonstrated any depth of knowledge - not even close.

And his take on Babers is at best click bait, with no feel for the underlying issues with the Syracuse Football Program.
This is just plain wrong, and you and others wouldn’t know since yas don’t listen to him, apparently ever.

Have heard him discuss the nuances, very real and unique obstacles facing our little northeastern program, faced both internally on the hill an externally in general, heard accurate discussions on these realities and topics a whole bunch of times over the years.

Admire many of yas loyalty to our coaches, but it remains the real reason he’s disliked by so many is that while acknowledging the above realities and keeping them in mind, he dishes out cold hard facts and realities for coaches whose tenor(s) should be over sooner vs later. Add Dino to the list.

Glad to have a guy who speaks up, truth to power if you will to the point where his wussy SU homer boss fires him for being a factually honest critic. For the life of me will never completely get it, the hate and dislike for clearly a person who doesn't deserve it for simply doing his job and doing it pretty well.

Last edited:
This is just plain wrong, and you and others wouldn’t know since yas don’t listen to him, apparently ever.

Have heard him discuss the nuances, very real and unique obstacles facing our little northeastern program, faced both internally on the hill an externally in general, heard accurate discussions on these realities and topics a whole bunch of times over the years.

Admire many of yas loyalty to our coaches, but it remains the real reason he’s disliked by so many is that while acknowledging the above realities and keeping them in mind, he dishes out cold hard facts and realities for coaches whose tenor(s) should be over sooner vs later. Add Dino to the list.

Glad to have a guy who speaks up, truth to power if you will to the point where his wussy SU homer boss fires him for being a factually honest critic. For the life of me will never completely get it, the hate and dislike for clearly a person who doesn't deserve it for simply doing his job and doing it pretty well.
I have listened to him and I have read him - for years.

He has the knowledge base of an average fan - and that's about it.

Your reference "add Dino to the list" is an excellent summary of Brent Axe's analysis.

He sounds like a fan who really doesn't understand at all the details of what he presumes to cover.

I feel he is good with being ok and that f I n kills me inside. Anyone with a love of football has to see how he has given up last 2 weeks. I would rather lose 70-24 and have tried offensively than how we lost last 2 weeks. Yes he makes boneheaded sideline calls and I could deal if we played physical tough football in all three phases. Good man and a not so good coach. We could end up 8-4 but I doubt it. I say send him on his way and find a guy who doesn’t make excuses for his kids or himself. I wish I had a great choice for us, but I don’t except Marrone. He said he won’t do it. Do we have an alum that would bring the old timers and new timers here and could field a tough hard nose football team who doesn’t give in or quit. I don’t think the team did, just Dino in his offensive game plan. , Dino lied to us. We did believe and we had faith without evidence. Not year 8 faith.

If he wants to win, he needs to deal with acquisitions and make them happen. Period.

Is 40 the cut off? I feel like anything past the goal line is dicey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom