"Dino needs to roll the dice" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"Dino needs to roll the dice"

Some don't want to hear this but there's reasons why a HC changes his philosophy on something. Maybe he did his research and realized he did more harm than good. IDK but he hasnt been that aggressive. Last two weeks felt like he was trying to survive and not get too many guys banged up. Ive noticed they havent done as much QB design runs. That's been a big part of their run scheme in the past. They are probably trying to keep GS healthy going into the last 5 games. Its the bulk of the acc schedule.

Some don't want to hear this but there's reasons why a HC changes his philosophy on something. Maybe he did his research and realized he did more harm than good. IDK but he hasnt been that aggressive. Last two weeks felt like he was trying to survive and not get too many guys banged up. Ive noticed they havent done as much QB design runs. That's been a big part of their run scheme in the past. They are probably trying to keep GS healthy going into the last 5 games. Its the bulk of the acc schedule.

I understand it, but put me on the list of people who doesn't want to hear it.

Year after year we think our QB room will be better.

Year after year it's keep the starter healthy or we will just lose every game badly and that we need to accept it because we're Syracuse and no one wants to play here (a slight exaggeration of course, but it's a message board).

Has to be something in the middle.

I actually think this was well done, solid interview
yep but don't forget the narrative, axe sucks, he doesn't understand, know or address the nuances of the situation here and the difficulties that lay therein. Heard this conversation from him a whole bunch in the past, but you're right it was solid.

Basically the message was given the current landscape we're flucked no matter whose here, as if we didn't know that already.

understand and agree, but won't complain if they try and get a coach who makes better simple in game decisions, one who makes a bigger stink in defense of his team in response to the consistent screw job calls and who also is younger with more fight.

but, yeah, regardless the expectations will remain tempered unlike back in the day.

Last edited:
I understand it, but put me on the list of people who doesn't want to hear it.

Year after year we think our QB room will be better.

Year after year it's keep the starter healthy or we will just lose every game badly and that we need to accept it because we're Syracuse and no one wants to play here (a slight exaggeration of course, but it's a message board).

Has to be something in the middle.
I'm not mentioning it to convince anyone. I feel the same. I'm just sharing what my thoughts are from a coaching perspective.

yep but don't forget the narrative, axe sucks, he doesnt address the nuances of the situation here and the difficulities therein. Heard this conversation from him a whole bunch in the past. You're right it was solid
There's 200 guys on this forum that can do what axe does. No nuances. Just complaints. We all do that.

I'm not mentioning it to convince anyone. I feel the same. I'm just sharing what my thoughts are from a coaching perspective.

This year will be interesting to see how he coaches down the stretch. He's never had a long ending of mediocre opponents quite like this. The season is halfway done, and not one of them has a winning record.

There's 200 guys on this forum that can do what axe does. No nuances. Just complaints. We all do that.
yeah no sh!te that's not the point of the haters complaints.

Any opponent who scouted our Purdue game would know they had to spy and stop Shrader. His running is our #1 key.

Going forward there is no point in harping on our last 3 games against the best teams on our schedule. Not saying you are doing that, but many are.

We lost Jaquez, Wohlabaugh, Gadsden but overall we are more healthy and have a bit more depth than usual at this stage. It is all about winning at least 3 and figuring out how to get the offense better.

Any opponent who scouted our Purdue game would know they had to spy and stop Shrader. His running is our #1 key.

Going forward there is no point in harping on our last 3 games against the best teams on our schedule. Not saying you are doing that, but many are.

We lost Jaquez, Wohlabaugh, Gadsden but overall we are more healthy and have a bit more depth than usual at this stage. It is all about winning at least 3 and figuring out how to get the offense better.
yep, good post. And shrader sounds like he'll be 100%. Just heard him interviewed on the radio and sounds like, yeah, dude was ill for a while. Lost almost 10 lbs from whatever he had, exhausted etc., the usual stuff. Hopefully he's good to go and channels the good VT mojo and vibe from last time down there.

Im not talking about running when a pass plays breaks down. Im talking actual designed run plays where the QB is part of the run fit. Read options, QB counter/power/ iso. Those plays effect the whole run game, opens up more holes for LaQuint.

No reason to save anything now.. the goal is get to 6 and beyond. We need to find some passing game to create chunk plays again. VT will be jumping on a prime time game. After that none of the games will have any negative energy to fight.

I have listened to him and I have read him - for years.

He has the knowledge base of an average fan - and that's about it.

Your reference "add Dino to the list" is an excellent summary of Brent Axe's analysis.

He sounds like a fan who really doesn't understand at all the details of what he presumes to cover.
Funny how Axe seems to rail against coaches (e.g. P & Babers) while not saying much about SU leadership (Chancellors/ADs).

Hard for me to believe he truly understands much of what goes on at SU and how it impacts sports programs.

This is not to say Babers’ in game decision making is beyond reproach because it’s been mostly awful.

Then you don't like him but don't know why.
interesting that those who don't like him don't listen/read him with the opposite true as well.

This is not a hill I wanna die on perpetually defending him but in conversations and with listening, as I've said elsewhere, the guy knows full well what's going on up there both internally/administratively and externally, but hey haters gonna and gotta hate

Last edited:
My whole point was I thought David Hale was pretty realistic about current and future status of the program.

Perhaps. However, it really isn't that enlightening as his perspective doesn't vary from the numerous & repetitive conversations on this topic that has been discussed pretty consistently on this forum in various threads for years. So, there's that.

In the end, it really comes down to (both kind of draw a parallel on this in the interview) as many things do in life; the mindset/perspective one may chose all the reason's one can, versus all the reasons one can't.

Last edited:

He had a good guest. Hale can contextualize things considering his perch in the ACC landscape and him going to school here. Agree otherwise.

Somebody else's job always seems simple if you've never done it.
I never said I can do his job. Im sure he's a good writer and commentator to some. I dont particularly read his content or analysis. I read some of his stuff years ago and I got nothing out of it. That's just me. I dont particularly read the stuff from commentors/writers that think like a fan. I dont want emotions involved in their thoughts or analysis. I can get that here and in other places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom