"Dino needs to roll the dice" | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"Dino needs to roll the dice"

My opinion of Axe goes back to his merciless touch-holery for Coach P.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of whether Coach P needed to go...

He didn't deserve an ignorant 20 something dickbag calling for his job as classlessly as Axe did.

That was before my time. He's now a 40 something non-dickbag who criticizes, (and also defends), but stops short of demanding firings.

The problem is that when I post something from him or make reference to him, people come out of the woodwork to rip him. They don't just decide, "I don't care for Axe so I'll ignore this."
Gotcha. It makes sense now. I don’t normally comment on him so I wasn’t aware of the sensitivity of the topic

The problem is that when I post something from him or make reference to him, people come out of the woodwork to rip him. They don't just decide, "I don't care for Axe so I'll ignore this."
I miss the old scout

I miss the old scout

From "The Bold Brave Men of Archbold 1957 - Penn State":

Arnie Burdick: “The Old Scout wore a large, deep bag under each bleary eye. It was obvious he’d spent a sleepless night. “Even picking up an extra hour of sleep, (due to returning to standard time), didn’t help me much. I just rolled and tossed all night long, playing and replaying the game…Some days you’re lucky and some days everything you try goes against you.”

“I believe that the tip off on the poor luck that the Orange was going to have Saturday occurred right on the opening kick-off. It was a screwball kick that Caprara of State booted and Zimmerman didn’t know whether to handle it or let it go out of bounds. Chuck finally had to help it out on the 17…So, instead of having the benefit of a runback, the Orange was deep in its own territory. And seconds later, had Mike Bill’s bad pass from center on the punt bounced once more Tom Stephens would have been tackled in the end zone for a safety instead of on the one yard line, which set up a quick TD.”

If you are wishing the other team had scored a safety, you probably didn’t play very well. “Probably none of this would have changed the result for the Lions were a fired-up bunch, had more pep and spirit and seemed to want the game more than Syracuse. They were the classier team and deserved to win. “

“Both teams had been committing a lot of errors in their previous games and it figured that the squad that could make the fewer costly bobbles would win. State kept their mistakes down to a minimum and won it. You know, there’s an old axiom in sports that this Syracuse team might put to good use. It goes something like this: Mistakes are part of every game and if you make one, don’t brood about it. Forget it. If you don’t you’ll probably make another. Many of the Syracuse players seemed to be thinking about a previous error or scared to death that they were going to commit one. They were playing as though they were in a trance rather than being alive and alert and aggressive. There was little animation. And this attitude- worry about the past- is apt to take a toll this week if it continues. The boys had better forget this Penn State game- that’s gone- and concentrate on the one coming up- Pitt. “

“With this, the Old Scout’s eyes began to close. In a minute, he was sound asleep. A smile came over his face- he was probably dreaming of an Orange upset of Pitt. “

Last edited:
I understand it, but put me on the list of people who doesn't want to hear it.

Year after year we think our QB room will be better.

Year after year it's keep the starter healthy or we will just lose every game badly and that we need to accept it because we're Syracuse and no one wants to play here (a slight exaggeration of course, but it's a message board).

Has to be something in the middle.
Unfortunately I think a lot of us are finding out that believing the hype about guys who had good HS pedigrees but couldn’t crack depth charts at other P5’s probably wasn’t the best idea.

Losing Sellers hurt immensely.

Dave Rahme was pretty damn good at this in the Marrone era.

Probably because he got much of it straight from the horse's mouth.
He was. He was Homerish enough to get close to the program and get real information but without completely losing objectivity.

The PS content on the whole nosedived when he was no longer involved. Too many younger writers trying to make a name for themselves playing the gotcha game and analysis of stuff that was largely public content already.

Who else gets torn down besides Axe? Mike and Donna are largely praised here. You could debate Emily but she had some odd choices to start her tenure here. People liked Bailey for his work. I guess I don’t see that much negativity directed to others besides Brent. Maybe I am wrong.
Who was covering the team before Bailey? He was a young kid that people used to torture bc he used the word “ journo” lol

Who was covering the team before Bailey? He was a young kid that people used to torture bc he used the word “ journo” lol
Cohen got tortured because he wrote jerky articles.

From "The Bold Brave Men of Archbold 1957 - Penn State":

Arnie Burdick: “The Old Scout wore a large, deep bag under each bleary eye. It was obvious he’d spent a sleepless night. “Even picking up an extra hour of sleep, (due to returning to standard time), didn’t help me much. I just rolled and tossed all night long, playing and replaying the game…Some days you’re lucky and some days everything you try goes against you.”

“I believe that the tip off on the poor luck that the Orange was going to have Saturday occurred right on the opening kick-off. It was a screwball kick that Caprara of State booted and Zimmerman didn’t know whether to handle it or let it go out of bounds. Chuck finally had to help it out on the 17…So, instead of having the benefit of a runback, the Orange was deep in its own territory. And seconds later, had Mike Bill’s bad pass from center on the punt bounced once more Tom Stephens would have been tackled in the end zone for a safety instead of on the one yard line, which set up a quick TD.”

If you are wishing the other team had scored a safety, you probably didn’t play very well. “Probably none of this would have changed the result for the Lions were a fired-up bunch, had more pep and spirit and seemed to want the game more than Syracuse. They were the classier team and deserved to win. “

“Both teams had been committing a lot of errors in their previous games and it figured that the squad that could make the fewer costly bobbles would win. State kept their mistakes down to a minimum and won it. You know, there’s an old axiom in sports that this Syracuse team might put to good use. It goes something like this: Mistakes are part of every game and if you make one, don’t brood about it. Forget it. If you don’t you’ll probably make another. Many of the Syracuse players seemed to be thinking about a previous error or scared to death that they were going to commit one. They were playing as though they were in a trance rather than being alive and alert and aggressive. There was little animation. And this attitude- worry about the past- is apt to take a toll this week if it continues. The boys had better forge this Penn State game- that’s gone- and concentrate on the one coming up- Pitt. “

“With this, the Old Scout’s eyes began to close. In a minute, he was sound asleep. A smile came over his face- he was probably dreaming of an Orange upset of Pitt. “
I remember waiting for the paper to be delivered. Couldn’t wait to read about the Orange. He was the best. Thx for this.

i can listen to the axe show and be entertained for a bit. i don't agree with all his takes but hey we all got opinions and they don't always synch. he shows a real passion for SU sports . probably cuz that's basically his paycheck. without SU sports he's selling cars or flipping something (antiques, property , burgers ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom