"Dino needs to roll the dice" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"Dino needs to roll the dice"

I understand it, but put me on the list of people who doesn't want to hear it.

Year after year we think our QB room will be better.

Year after year it's keep the starter healthy or we will just lose every game badly and that we need to accept it because we're Syracuse and no one wants to play here (a slight exaggeration of course, but it's a message board).

Has to be something in the middle.

Put me in this camp to. I understand it but I don’t want to hear it. If you’re not playing to win every game then what’s the point?

Obviously the point this year is to just get through the murderers row with a healthy QB to beat the teams down the last half we can beat. Then why not just remove him all together or play all of the backups and come out of these games with all of your 1s and 2s perfectly healthy.

They obviously threw everything and the kitchen sink at Clemson but it was also obvious they waved the white flag very early in the last two games and it sure appeared the goal was just to survive and get out.

I get it. He’s coaching for his job right now and he knows it.

Im not talking about running when a pass plays breaks down. Im talking actual designed run plays where the QB is part of the run fit. Read options, QB counter/power/ iso. Those plays effect the whole run game, opens up more holes for LaQuint.
I will repeat my point - after Purdue, any opponents knows they have to stop Shrader. Not only when pass plays break down. Designed QB runs, RPO, counters, whatever. The defenses key on Shrader. Which is why (I suppose) our OC mixed things up.

I think all on this board are realistic about the talent disparity between us and the Clemsons, FSUs, and UNCs of the world, and we’re realistic about our ability to and likelihood of closing that gap.

We know that more often than not, we’re going to go down against those types of opponents.

What kills me is when Dino doesn’t go down swinging - he’s happy to lose the bout on “points”.

I know that we’ve become “Punter U,” but Dino needs to be going for it on 4th down in most scenarios on the opponents side of the field. You don’t need talent to have balls.

I will repeat my point - after Purdue, any opponents knows they have to stop Shrader. Not only when pass plays break down. Designed QB runs, RPO, counters, whatever. The defenses key on Shrader. Which is why (I suppose) our OC mixed things up.
He's been one of the top rushing QB's in the country. We know teams are keying him too. That's not what I'm disputing. Im saying I dont see as many QB designed runs that I've seen in the past. There was more variety.

Put me in this camp to. I understand it but I don’t want to hear it. If you’re not playing to win every game then what’s the point?

Obviously the point this year is to just get through the murderers row with a healthy QB to beat the teams down the last half we can beat. Then why not just remove him all together or play all of the backups and come out of these games with all of your 1s and 2s perfectly healthy.

They obviously threw everything and the kitchen sink at Clemson but it was also obvious they waved the white flag very early in the last two games and it sure appeared the goal was just to survive and get out.

I get it. He’s coaching for his job right now and he knows it.

Well now, that's too much of a "dead giveaway!" ;)

Are you telling me I dont have a reason for not reading his articles or asking me?

" I dont read his content or watch his video's."

Then why would you dislike him? You don't know what he's saying.

"I dont particularly read the stuff from commentors/writers that think like a fan."

I would think that fans would be drawn to people who think like them.

"I dont particularly read the stuff from commentors/writers that think like a fan."

Did you not read what you copied and pasted? I gave you my reason and please don’t try to shame me for not watching something you choose to watch. I have my own outlets. I wouldn’t get mad if you chose not to use them.

Brent Axe is a gloried water cooler in the office type of guy. Nothing he does is special or exquisite. In fact, I’d argue that the dude doesn’t seem to have a single idea for a story of his own.. His M.O. is quite clear in that he s basically an armchair quarterback who likes to beat the crowd to the punch. In fact, I’d be willing to put a sizable bet that half his ideas for stories/podcast come from this very forum. First to report gets clicks and I will admit, he’s good at getting it out quickly.

Given how long he’s covered Syracuse sports, I’d love for the guy to do a piece explaining how the 3-3-5 works and to describe the nuances between our former DC and the Godfather. Or maybe to do a breakdown of gameday rituals.. how much DP they script? who calls the plays and is it unilateral or by committee? Who makes the decisions at key points (if anybody)? Are they in the box? Or on the field? Where and how much is being put into NIL? Who deserves a thank you? Given our quarterbacks strength of running the ball, receivers lack of skill in catching a ball, coupled with our beast mode RB, why have the coaches seemingly abandoned the designed “misdirection run plays (read option) for a more pro style (traditional) offense run out of formations that aren’t built for pro-style. Why have we abandoned forcing the defense to choose their poison and the only consistently sound skill sets. -ability to improvise, get the edge and deliver blows instead of absorbing them - to get cute and hope for lightning in a bottle to emerge? These are the seemingly interesting topics I came up with 30K ft in the air responding to a message board. [Axe.. just before now would have been a good time to take notes.]

I wholeheartedly agree with money3189 on this, having played college football myself.. If I wanted to indulge in heavy emotional banter about a topic, rather than an informative/intellectual perspective, he’d be great. It’d be analogous to arguing with any other clickbait salesman about how Taylor Swift made Travis Kelce a household name.

But I don’t like wasting the one resource that has no chance of regenerating itself reading someone who mastered the who, what, why, where and how of surface level journalism. He’s perfect for the layman’s version of articulating himself through his chosen medium, journalism. But truth is, the guy is at best a 4.5 on a scale of 10 at drawing in people of average intelligence about the topic.

Brent Axe is at best US Weekly for Syracuse sports.

Last edited:
Brent Axe is a gloried water cooler in the office type of guy. Nothing he does is special or exquisite. In fact, I’d argue that the dude doesn’t seem to have a single idea for a story of his own.. His M.O. is quite clear in that he s basically an armchair quarterback who likes to beat the crowd to the punch. In fact, I’d be willing to put a sizable bet that half his ideas for stories/podcast come from this very forum. First to report gets clicks and I will admit, he’s good at getting it out quickly.

Given how long he’s covered Syracuse sports, I’d love for the guy to do a piece explaining how the 3-3-5 works and to describe the nuances between our former DC and the Godfather. Or maybe to do a breakdown of gameday rituals.. how much DP they script? who calls the plays and is it unilateral or by committee? Who makes the decisions at key points (if anybody)? Are they in the box? Or on the field? Where and how much is being put into NIL? Who deserves a thank you? Given our quarterbacks strength of running the ball, receivers lack of skill in catching a ball, coupled with our beast mode RB, why have the coaches seemingly abandoned the designed “misdirection run plays (read option) for a more pro style (traditional) offense run out of formations that aren’t built for pro-style. Why have we abandoned forcing the defense to choose their poison and the only consistently sound skill sets. -ability to improvise, get the edge and deliver blows instead of absorbing them - to get cute and hope for lightning in a bottle to emerge? These are the seemingly interesting topics I came up with 30K ft in the air responding to a message board. [Axe.. just before now would have been a good time to take notes.]

I wholeheartedly agree with money3189 on this, having played college football myself.. If I wanted to indulge in heavy emotional banter about a topic, rather than an informative/intellectual perspective, he’d be great. It’d be analogous to arguing with any other clickbait salesman about how Taylor Swift made Travis Kelce a household name.

But I don’t like wasting the one resource that has no chance of regenerating itself reading someone who mastered the who, what, why, where and how of surface level journalism. He’s perfect for the layman’s version of articulating himself through his chosen medium, journalism. But truth is, the guy is at best a 4.5 on a scale of 10 at drawing in people of average intelligence about the topic.

Actually, when I retired in 2009 and started listening to his show, it was because he seemed like a guy you like to talk about the game with, (my comparison was a local bartender but water cooler guy will do). I also liked that he has the courage to be critical.

I don't think I've ever read a newspaper columnist or a talk show host describe the intricacies of any offense or defense.

Actually, when I retired in 2009 and started listening to his show, it was because he seemed like a guy you like to talk about the game with, (my comparison was a local bartender but water cooler guy will do). I also liked that he has the courage to be critical.

I don't think I've ever read a newspaper columnist or a talk show host describe the intricacies of any offense or defense.
SWC75 - Your posts on this message board are more insightful and better researched, from the perspective of journalism, than anything Brent Axe produces.

Everyone’s entitled to their guilty pleasures, but I’m at a sever loss for why so many are pushing the sports version of the Real Housewives on the rest of us.

I do like the fact that he’s willing to be critical, but it’s all surface level.

I read many columnists articles on the interwebs that dove deep into the game. It’s unfortunate, but most of them come with a subscription cost. It’s sad that the industry has forced the subscription model upon us, but I’m willing to pay to get access to actual journalists. It’s unfortunate, but the Axes of this world are exactly why mediocre, or lesser, people shouldn’t have access to a “microphone.” The real world collectively gets more dumb every time they turn it on.

SWC75 - Your posts on this message board are more insightful and better researched, from the perspective of journalism, than anything Brent Axe produces.

Everyone’s entitled to their guilty pleasures, but I’m at a sever loss for why so many are pushing the sports version of the Real Housewives on the rest of us.

Over 14 years of calling into Brent's shows and now watching his videos, I have found his takes to be solid and our conversations intelligent. Some of the things his did to entertain and fill time on his radio show were a little goofy, (and some quite funny), but they never bothered me. Why some people have so much contempt for him has always been a mystery.

I will continue to post his You-Tube videos and maybe some people will come around to give him the respect he deserves.

Over 14 years of calling into Brent's shows and now watching his videos, I have found his takes to be solid and our conversations intelligent. Some of the things his did to entertain and fill time on his radio show were a little goofy, (and some quite funny), but they never bothered me. Why some people have so much contempt for him has always been a mystery.

I will continue to post his You-Tube videos and maybe some people will come around to give him the respect he deserves.
I have no problem with you posting his videos or articles. I have respect for the fact that YOU and others appreciate him. Heck, before now, I’ve never once spoken about him at all and will continue to tastefully abstain while you enjoy his content.

I do have a problem with people not respecting others takes in a seemingly community forum. Especially one as reputable and straight as money3189 has always been. And i firmly believe respect is earned, not deserved. There are no participation trophies in adulting. If respect is what he’s after, he may want to change his approach.

People give this forum way too much credit for coming up with topics that Axe et al are covering.

Everyone who watches SU sports teams generally have the same thoughts.

Axe has to sell advertising. He’s not a football coach. You want to learn about the 3-3-5, look for someone else.

His angle is being a fan. Bill Simmons built a media juggernaut doing that (granted he’s MUCH better at it).

Btw, Us Weekly has been around for almost half a century and has like 50 million readers.

But hey, let’s get into another thread about our uniform colors.

You like the guy and that's fine but don't be so annoyed with people for choosing different media outlets. I don't watch Meryl Streep movies but it doesn't mean she's not a great actress. Just not my cup of tea.

Um he has been our starting QB since September of 2021. Other teams knew that for awhile now. If you don't have the players to make plays, you can put 3 spies on him and it won't matter. BTW Purdue was using a spy that game. The narrative that his scrambling is now completely ineffective is a false one. They have been "keying" on him for about 25 games now.

People give this forum way too much credit for coming up with topics that Axe et al are covering.

Everyone who watches SU sports teams generally have the same thoughts.

Axe has to sell advertising. He’s not a football coach. You want to learn about the 3-3-5, look for someone else.

His angle is being a fan. Bill Simmons built a media juggernaut doing that (granted he’s MUCH better at it).

Btw, Us Weekly has been around for almost half a century and has like 50 million readers.

But hey, let’s get into another thread about our uniform colors.

Like Simmons, Axe delivers absolutely zero educational value. He speaks opinions and his interpretation of facts, not facts themselves. But after being in this community for over 10 years, 95% of the time I open the message board I know exactly what the topics of conversation will be. So I don’t think you can take credit away from the audience.

You mustn’t have read my follow on posts. I get no joy speaking negatively about anyone and haven’t done so historically. I also have no bone to pick with Axe or any of his supporters. I do have an issue with trying to ram it down others throats. Share the videos and articles and enjoy. But don’t ask people to prop the guy up for what he isn’t.

US Weekly, Real Housewives of [Insert City Here], etc all have massive followings that generate Billion$ is revenues; all for this type of content. They’re what you call “Best In Class;” whereas I’m not sure Axe even qualifies for the rung 4 steps below that.

Brent Axe gets a lot of stick here but I think he verbalized a lot of complaints from this board quite well.
I never understood why Cuse fans would hate on Axe. He calls it like he sees it and he sees it like a real fan. He doesn’t suck up and sugarcoat stuff to protect the program or his relationships which is very rare. He is SO honest and real that Boeheim (and his stoolies) got him fired from the radio.

I think there is often an underlying jealously of those who cover sports for a living.

People on this board are always trying to tear down the local media folks covering the team. I guess that comes with the territory when you’re in the media. If people want to bash a carpet bagger who is only covering Cuse to get an offer in a bigger market that’s one thing. But Axe is a legit fan who bleeds orange and STILL acts like a fan while doing his job.

Not sure what more you can ask for.

I do have an issue with trying to ram it down others throats. Share the videos and articles and enjoy. But don’t ask people to prop the guy up for what he isn’t.
Or get mad when others don't listen to him. I'm not judging people for who they listen to. I know people that turn the volume off when Joe Buck does a game. I'm not gonna hold a grudge with them because of that lol

Like Simmons, Axe delivers absolutely zero educational value. He speaks opinions and his interpretation of facts, not facts themselves. But after being in this community for over 10 years, 95% of the time I open the message board I know exactly what the topics of conversation will be. So I don’t think you can take credit away from the audience.

You mustn’t have read my follow on posts. I get no joy speaking negatively about anyone and haven’t done so historically. I also have no bone to pick with Axe or any of his supporters. I do have an issue with trying to ram it down others throats. Share the videos and articles and enjoy. But don’t ask people to prop the guy up for what he isn’t.

US Weekly, Real Housewives of [Insert City Here], etc all have massive followings that generate Billion$ is revenues; all for this type of content. They’re what you call “Best In Class;” whereas I’m not sure Axe even qualifies for the rung 4 steps below that.

What he isn't to you. Perhaps, you don't realize the irony in your own, personal viewpoint/statement.

I never understood why Cuse fans would hate on Axe. He calls it like he sees it and he sees it like a real fan. He doesn’t suck up and sugarcoat stuff to protect the program or his relationships which is very rare. He is SO honest and real that Boeheim (and his stoolies) got him fired from the radio.

I think there is often an underlying jealously of those who cover sports for a living.

People on this board are always trying to tear down the local media folks covering the team. I guess that comes with the territory when you’re in the media. If people want to bash a carpet bagger who is only covering Cuse to get an offer in a bigger market that’s one thing. But Axe is a legit fan who bleeds orange and STILL acts like a fan while doing his job.

Not sure what more you can ask for.
Who else gets torn down besides Axe? Mike and Donna are largely praised here. You could debate Emily but she had some odd choices to start her tenure here. People liked Bailey for his work. I guess I don’t see that much negativity directed to others besides Brent. Maybe I am wrong.

I heard it as a pep talk/challenge for Dino as he stares down the second part of the season. I like what I heard.

Sitting on 14 against a dealer with a 10 up is not the style to employ as we hit the top of the stretch.

Dino, go for it.
Kind of. Its more like if you know the dealer had a 20 and your sitting on a 14. You may not win if you go for it, but your definitely going to lose if you don't.

Dave Rahme was pretty damn good at this in the Marrone era.

Probably because he got much of it straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

My opinion of Axe goes back to his merciless touch-holery for Coach P.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of whether Coach P needed to go...

He didn't deserve an ignorant 20 something dickbag calling for his job as classlessly as Axe did.

Or get mad when others don't listen to him. I'm not judging people for who they listen to. I know people that turn the volume off when Joe Buck does a game. I'm not gonna hold a grudge with them because of that lol

The problem is that when I post something from him or make reference to him, people come out of the woodwork to rip him. They don't just decide, "I don't care for Axe so I'll ignore this."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom