"Dino needs to roll the dice" | Syracusefan.com

"Dino needs to roll the dice"

1697568152069.jpeg

I heard it as a pep talk/challenge for Dino as he stares down the second part of the season. I like what I heard.

Sitting on 14 against a dealer with a 10 up is not the style to employ as we hit the top of the stretch.

Dino, go for it.

Brent Axe gets a lot of stick here but I think he verbalized a lot of complaints from this board quite well.
Yes and he got fired for doing the same thing on basketball and Boeheim. But I digress, that's for another thread and it's ancient history anyway.

Brent Axe gets a lot of stick here but I think he verbalized a lot of complaints from this board quite well.

People who didn't like his radio show might like these You-Tube videos because he doesn't have to fill it with a lot of silly routines to fill the time or make it a 'show'. It' all lean content about SU sports.

People who didn't like his radio show might like these You-Tube videos because he doesn't have to fill it with a lot of silly routines to fill the time or make it a 'show'. It' all lean content about SU sports.
For the most part, I like his podcast and listen during my workouts.

Axe is spot on. It’s very frustrating. It’s pathetic when our great slums go public and bash the program, but that is a result of the way we are going about playing these games.

Dino has been coaching since 1984. His stay at Syracuse is, I think, double the time he has spent anywhere over the course of five different decades.

I wonder if some sort of unintended complacency has set in. He doesn’t emote any indication we have a chance to beat upper echelon teams with 24-3 FG attempts.

Not making the accusation. But I wonder.

Here is what I see in Dino. A man who believes that he is a teacher of young men. He teaches life skills and football. If that approach produces wins on the scoreboard...fantastic. But he's not going to waiver in what he believes. He runs a program the way he wants to run it and won't budge. In some way, I respect him for that. He's a good man. But on the other hand, in this dog eat dog world of college football, that isn't going to allow you to survive for very long in a P4 conference. I'd also say his approach may have worked better before transfer rules and NIL changed the landscape. You could get kids in here and build them up with less chance of them leaving. Now you are turning over rosters a lot faster which makes it harder to hang on to kids and build your culture.

It's not even rolling the dice is the thing.

Agree, the 4th down decisions the past 3 weeks would even be head scratchers for the meatiest of heads.

Maybe he's just so intimidated by the good teams and having the 3 of them back to back was living way too rent free in his head. But these weren't riverboat gambler type calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom