Dinos Best HC Quality | Syracusefan.com

Dinos Best HC Quality

CU44SE

All Conference
In my opinion, to be a good head coach, you need to be excellent at at least one area. You are either an excellent motivator, game planner, game day coach, offensive or defensive guru, ace recruiter, game management, etc.

I’m curious to know what people think Dino’s strengths are because I am having trouble coming up with traits that are above average. This is why Dino needs to go in my opinion. He was hired as the head coach at Syracuse because of his offensive system (fast paced, no huddle, explosive offense). We have not seen that in many years, if at all really. His most explosive weapons at WR were players from a different coaching staff.

He constantly mismanages games and is a poor game day coach. The talent has not seen an uptick at the QB, WR, or OL positions, part of why he was hired. Thank god he hit on Tucker or else he would have missed on every offensive position he recruited. He has not learned from his mistakes. The same mistakes are happening now as when he was hired. He just leaves a ton on the plate for my liking. I have tried to give him every opportunity. I did not feel good about this FSU game and Bad games happen. It just feels like we have reached our limit with him as the head coach.

In my opinion, his greatest strength was his ability to motivate. But he seems to be more occasionally great than consistently good which is something he has preached about for years.

In the end, even though we are bowl eligible this year. And I have faith that the coordinators are in place for future success if left time to grow and develop. I just don’t see the reasons for keeping Dino. I think his best traits as a head coach are simply average at best and he has many traits that are below average.

Just curious to see what others think his best head coaching quality is?

P5 HC’s need to be either or both of good at X’s & O’s and/or one heck of a good recruiter. Dino is neither. Dino sells and markets himself but at some point the house of cards falls apart without a foundation.

He's not good. We all know it. The excuses ---- like a rebuild takes time, we have great starters but are building depth, the officials are against us, fans don't understand the process, etc etc.---- he's not good, but we are cheap so for the school he's good enough. It is what it is.

He was brought in as an offensive guru. Most of us assumed his personality and charisma would translate to recruiting success. 2023 we are again last place in recruiting in the ACC and it isn't close. Look at the product on the field and the talent disparity. We will not have success in the ACC with the worst recruiting class every season where every player is a diamond in the rough.

(The following is meant as a joke...well, sort of anyway. My personal expectation this year is that we have a winning regular season: 7 wins. That is still technically possible, if increasingly unlikely. Last night, I turned off the game at the end of the third quarter. OK, I am recovering from non-serious surgery, but since the late 1950's I can only recall turning off an SU game one other time. Last year, we needed only one more win in our final games to avoid a non-losing season and we were basically boat raced. This year, we need only one win in our final six games to have a winning season and it has been grim so far. Still, I'm not throwing in the towel completely at this point, although the towel keeps jumping into my hand. With that said, here is my response to the OP)

"Dino's best head coach quality? You know those shirts he wears on game day that everyone covets but nobody knows where to buy? Dino knows where to get those!!! Is that cool or what? Suck it, Nick Saban."

He goes against the grain of typical coaching philosophies.

Like leaving injured starters in the game when the game is absolutely over so they can really test their injuries.

Leaving starters in the game to compete and then not trying to even score a TD at the end of the game

Testing the dedication of the backups to see how likely they are to test the portal by not giving them any run in the game even against a Wagner.

So he’s definitely an out of the box coach.

He goes against the grain of typical coaching philosophies.

Like leaving injured starters in the game when the game is absolutely over so they can really test their injuries.

Leaving starters in the game to compete and then not trying to even score a TD at the end of the game

Testing the dedication of the backups to see how likely they are to test the portal by not giving them any run in the game even against a Wagner.

So he’s definitely an out of the box coach.
He has had his share of head scratching decisions for sure. Can’t figure him out

He has had his share of head scratching decisions for sure. Can’t figure him out

Those are just from last night. Although he’s done those before. I don’t even want to think of all the clock management issues and giving up on games, like at Pitt however many years ago that was.

In my opinion, to be a good head coach, you need to be excellent at at least one area. You are either an excellent motivator, game planner, game day coach, offensive or defensive guru, ace recruiter, game management, etc.

I’m curious to know what people think Dino’s strengths are because I am having trouble coming up with traits that are above average. This is why Dino needs to go in my opinion. He was hired as the head coach at Syracuse because of his offensive system (fast paced, no huddle, explosive offense). We have not seen that in many years, if at all really. His most explosive weapons at WR were players from a different coaching staff.

He constantly mismanages games and is a poor game day coach. The talent has not seen an uptick at the QB, WR, or OL positions, part of why he was hired. Thank god he hit on Tucker or else he would have missed on every offensive position he recruited. He has not learned from his mistakes. The same mistakes are happening now as when he was hired. He just leaves a ton on the plate for my liking. I have tried to give him every opportunity. I did not feel good about this FSU game and Bad games happen. It just feels like we have reached our limit with him as the head coach.

In my opinion, his greatest strength was his ability to motivate. But he seems to be more occasionally great than consistently good which is something he has preached about for years.

In the end, even though we are bowl eligible this year. And I have faith that the coordinators are in place for future success if left time to grow and develop. I just don’t see the reasons for keeping Dino. I think his best traits as a head coach are simply average at best and he has many traits that are below average.

Just curious to see what others think his best head coaching quality is?
He isnt a good coach. He is by all accounts well liked by his players and the administration.
Dino is the highest paid employee in the history of Syracuse University.
The question is can we do better and the answer is obvious. Yes.
Dino has been provided with more resources than any other football coach. JW is in the process of creating a 100 million plus Athletics complex.
Dino has not come close to earning an extension. He is by most metrics a failure.
His Schick is stale.
The only way an extension should possibly be considered is if he finishes this year strong. Retains his key players and staff. Has a 7 win or better season next year and agrees to an incentives based extension contract.

If he fails in any of those areas he needs to be replaced.

Dino is a very thoughtful, and well spoken guy. I think any parent would feel comfortable with him as a role model, and coach. However, the product on the field is currently a hot mess right now. I like Dino, but I don't think he's the answer long term.

Dino is a very thoughtful, and well spoken guy. I think any parent would feel comfortable with him as a role model, and coach. However, the product on the field is currently a hot mess right now. I like Dino, but I don't think he's the answer long term.
But none of this qualities you stated are affecting recruiting. We are dead last in the ACC in recuiting.

He's a good interview and seems sincere but, Dunno Baby should not be permitted to make any decision in any game once the opening whistle blows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom