Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame

I think Dino’s answer was fairly clear
"Babers on RB Sean Tucker’s lack of involvement: “He should have more than five carries in a football game. That’s been addressed.”

If that makes it clear then what should we expect - more than 5 carries ? More than 20 ?

I understand the purpose in spirit but we have been getting hosed since we joined the ACC. Nothing has changed. Keep submitting these things of course. I'm ready to change conferences.
Nonsense.

I have no idea if or to what extent he’s injured. Thats primarily board conjecture at the moment, though he did ask out of a few plays saturday.

My point is it was a mistake we did not use our running backs more.
Right, I didn’t think that was really a question as Tucker was productive when he did get the ball.

Yeah, I mean he's the head coach for Pete's sake. He has the authority to call a time out at anytime, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. The whole "handling it internally" is nothing more than him simply not taking complete ownership publicly of such a significant blunder at a such a critical time. Period!

It's been an issue his entire 7 years here, the "it wont happen again" line is either him not being honest or the biggest troll job of all time.

well he took responsibility for the two big issues not that it means much.

He makes a great point about Cundiff's sideline shoulder bump. The FSU kid faked going out of bounds. Really puts the defender in a bad spot. The Clemson kid was toe touching to get extra inches. I thought it was egregious live but on replay I didn't even think it was flag worthy. I guess all you can do is use your hands but that's a really tough spot.

He makes a great point about Cundiff's sideline shoulder bump. The FSU kid faked going out of bounds. Really puts the defender in a bad spot. The Clemson kid was toe touching to get extra inches. I thought it was egregious live but on replay I didn't think it was flag worthy. I guess all you can do is use your hands but that's a really tough spot.

Your right but in that spot you have to use your hands and hope for the best. The shoulder is going to get flagged on the road at clemson 90% of the time. Tough to remember in the heat of the moment/game but on 3rd and nearly 30 you have to change your approach.

He makes a great point about Cundiff's sideline shoulder bump. The FSU killed faked going out of bounds. Really puts the defender in a bad spot. The Clemson kid was toe touching to get extra inches. I thought it was egregious live but on replay I didn't think it was flag worthy. I guess all you can do is use your hands but that's a really tough spot.

The FSU comparison was spot on.

I get the "it automatically draws a flag" argument, but on the other hand Funetes didn't hit the guy, he didn't knock him down, he just bumped into him -- in bounds, clearly trying to pull up, and only after being jostled into the QB by a Clemson player.

If Fuentes didn't chase the kid down, then he's off to the races up the sidelines -- a la FSU.

And of course, the parallel to when Shrader get shoved down OUT OF BOUNDS after making a throw, but didn't get a flag thrown, further exacerbates how lopsided the game was being officiated. IMO, a player making a throw who has released the ball is way more exposed than a QB who is running the ball. Total garbage.

The FSU comparison was spot on.

I get the "it automatically draws a flag" argument, but on the other hand Funetes didn't hit the guy, he didn't knock him down, he just bumped into him -- in bounds, clearly trying to pull up, and only after being jostled into the QB by a Clemson player.

If Fuentes didn't chase the kid down, then he's off to the races up the sidelines -- a la FSU.

And of course, the parallel to when Shrader get shoved down OUT OF BOUNDS after making a throw, but didn't get a flag thrown, further exacerbates how lopsided the game was being officiated. IMO, a player making a throw who has released the ball is way more exposed than a QB who is running the ball. Total garbage.
I’ve seen the replay like ten times, Fuentes purposely put his shoulder down. Yes he was slightly pushed into him but laying his shoulder down was unnecessary and completely changed the momentum of the game. He hit their QB OOB, it is what it is.

Your right but in that spot you have to use your hands and hope for the best. The shoulder is going to get flagged on the road at clemson 90% of the time. Tough to remember in the heat of the moment/game but on 3rd and nearly 30 you have to change your approach.

The key was getting the kid out of bounds. Fuentes didn't do anything overly physical. It was a bogus call.

As evidenced by Shrader not getting the call for an even more flagrant hit out of bounds.

I’ve seen the replay like ten times, Fuentes purposely put his shoulder down. Yes he was slightly pushed into him but laying his shoulder down was unnecessary and completely changed the momentum of the game. He hit their QB OOB, it is what it is.

Fuentes got shoved from behind. Could have been a block in the back, causing the contact. But the ref flagged it because it "looked" worse than it was.

Still no excuse for why the hit on our player -- which was much worse than what Fuentes did -- didn't draw the same call.

I think big difference between call and no call. Shrader was engaged with the player well before going out of bounds. Even though there was a little extra push, he was in process of being tackled in play

Fuentes got shoved from behind. Could have been a block in the back, causing the contact. But the ref flagged it because it "looked" worse than it was.

Still no excuse for why the hit on our player -- which was much worse than what Fuentes did -- didn't draw the same call.
I agree that Shrader getting ripped down to the ground OOB was way more over the top than what Fuentes did (laying the shoulder down), but they were both should have been called. Also Fuentes wasn’t shoved he was pushed with one hand.

I think big difference between call and no call. Shrader was engaged with the player well before going out of bounds. Even though there was a little extra push, he was in process of being tackled in play

But he got shoved down after he was OUT OF BOUNDS.

I agree that Shrader getting ripped down to the ground OOB was way more over the top than what Fuentes did (laying the shoulder down), but they were both should have been called. Also Fuentes wasn’t shoved he was pushed with one hand.

So he wasn't shoved, he was pushed?

David, I don't want to split hairs. You are a highly reasonable poster, and I don't want to argue -- agree to disagree on this one. Water under the bridge at this point.

I completely disagree. I re-watched it several times too. You should not be able to run up the sideline like that then tap your toe out of bounds at the last second while still appearing to be heading directly up the field, and not expect to get hit. How the hell is a defender supposed to play that? Its not like he was heading directly out of bounds and you know he is going out and you get him out of bounds just to get a shot on him. And if the counter argument is that he was hit out of bounds and that is the rule then they need to change the rule. Its just dumb all around.

Last edited:

That's irrelevant.

It was the "little extra push" that occurred on the *inside* (coaches/benches) side of the sideline that was:
A - egregious
B - a blatant personal foul penalty that was NOT called.

According to what you posted, as long as the defender is "engaged" with the player in bounds, he can do whatever the hell he wants to him out of bounds, as some sort of bizarro-world 'continuation' rule - which doesn't exist?

Refs aside, I like our conference. It fits the university, culture, and I like the teams we play against. Also appreciate that it doesn’t seem to want to lose it’s regional identity. If we went to the B1G, we’d have the same troubles when playing against their blue bloods anyway.
Conference Records since joining the ACC
Basketball: 88-76
Football: 25-53

My absolutely unimportant opinion is that I have not enjoyed my fan experience in the ACC.

I don't think Fuentes hit the QB OOB. The QB was in bounds at the time of the hit. The flag (IIRC) was for unnecessary roughness .. IOW, too much force applied in that situation (a QB running on the sideline). The problem is .. they don't call it both ways. Classic. BTW, it needs to be (re) stated that the referee is awful. I've seen his face way too many times and he nearly always officiates with southern cooking. Just who he is.

I didn't like the endzone PI call either. IJ went up over the WR and batted the ball down. He might have had his R hand on the receivers lower back, but that's allowed as long as he doesn't push the guy (except in a Clemson Home game).

As one-sided as the officiating was, it's clear that we lost because CU shut down our offense in the second half. The calls didn't help, but we just couldn't get anything going. We also didn't contain Shipley - 170+ yards. That's on us. Great game. We were in it to the end, our D played outstanding except the one mistake on the Shipley run. Live and learn. A lot of opportunities left to make this a special season.

Last edited:
"Babers on RB Sean Tucker’s lack of involvement: “He should have more than five carries in a football game. That’s been addressed.”

If that makes it clear then what should we expect - more than 5 carries ? More than 20 ?
What I don’t get is how anyone could game plan for any game in which Tucker is able to play and not get him 15+ Carries. What’s interesting is that HCDB didn’t say “hey, this was a scheme thing for this game” …. The way it’s presented here is as if someone did something wrong …

The key was getting the kid out of bounds. Fuentes didn't do anything overly physical. It was a bogus call.

As evidenced by Shrader not getting the call for an even more flagrant hit out of bounds.

I dont disagree but you have to (as tough as it maybe) remember time locationa and situation. Your Syracuse playing at CLemson, you know any close call is going against you and being up 13 or whatever it was and it being 3rd and 25. As bogus as it was don't even put yourself in that situation.

I UNDERSTAND THERE WAS AN EXTRA SHOVE. I’m saying I can see the ref saying he was in process of being tackled because they were engaged all the way to the sideline. In our instance the QB was out of bounds and got a shoulder. There was no contact until after the play was already over. Not saying it is right. But I can understand why they may have called it differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom