Dino's Presser after FSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Presser after FSU

You go for 7 when playing against a team that is running the ball down your throat and having issues stopping them, at the time we where.
Everyone is focused on how great the D played in the 2nd half, Dino had no idea the D would get it together and hold them in the second half.
He has to make his choices based on what he is seeing.
It’s nice to sit back at the end of the game and say oh yeah our coach is some dumb because x, y, z...
Sure when you see the full body of work you can pick things apart that are WAY different then in the middle of the game.
End of the day FSU still has a stud of a RB mad a ton of NFL caliber players on defense. We don’t and choices are made because of it.

He made a mistake. You always take the points away. Always.

Nope, and nope. Not in this case. I have no problem with that decision. If we get the TD, we're tied going into HT, and we go into the locker room with all the momentum. If we don't, we're still only down one score.

Yes and yes. We lost by 3. You do the math.

Nope, and nope. Not in this case. I have no problem with that decision. If we get the TD, we're tied going into HT, and we go into the locker room with all the momentum. If we don't, we're still only down one score.
Yeah It's more the running 3/4 times that erked me.

He made a mistake. You always take the points away. Always.
Not true at all.
I provided the perfect scenario in when you do go for the 7 instead of 3.
Clearly everyone is mad because we lost by 3.
Guess what you still have OT to win the damn game.
Also you can point to about 5-7 plays by the PLAYERS that prevented use from getting more points.
BUT all Dino's fault for being aggressive, I guess.
Well guess what this is Dino he is aggressive, he has to be.
We have less talent then most ACC teams.

Can't play the 20-20 hindsight game. Do the math at 21-14, end of the first half.

You can call it what you want. When he passed on the FG, I looked at Mrs Fairfax and said that he’s going to regret that decision. 21-17 is a better number in all cases.

Of course the ‘easy’ 3 points assumes Cole inconsistent Murphy would make the kick. Kid has missed extra points this season.

I’d have kicked but had no problem going for it. Would love to know how the general board reaction would be if murphy shanked it. I’m sure Babers would’ve been bashed for kicking on the road in that spot to. With a defense that had been getting shredded. Couldn’t stop the run with 9 in the box.

Sad when on the radio the announcers never even called a LB name making a tackle. It was all DBs. Players have to make some plays.

There are zero employed coaches regularly making that call.

Of course the ‘easy’ 3 points assumes Cole inconsistent Murphy would make the kick. Kid has missed extra points this season.

I’d have kicked but had no problem going for it. Would love to know how the general board reaction would be if murphy shanked it. I’m sure Babers would’ve been bashed for kicking on the road in that spot to.

This board poster would of said, he missed. Better than running a QB draw with a hurt QB.

This board poster would of said, he missed. Better than running a QB draw with a hurt QB.

Yeah right. And if we couldn’t stop the run in the 2nd half?

We tried to force FSU to beat us through the air and we couldn’t stop the run. We needed 7.

Yeah right. And if we couldn’t stop the run in the 2nd half?

We tried to force FSU to beat us through the air and we couldn’t stop the run. We needed 7.

You asked and I answered. I was also right.

pretending like this is an objective right or wrong decision is stupid. As in, objectively stupid. Dino made a call and it backfired. That's life. Sometimes you go for it and succeed. Sometimes you go for it and lose. Sometimes getting the 7 instead of settling for 3 means you win by a point and sometimes passing up the 3 in search of 7 means you lose by 3.

But no matter how much some people want to close their eyes, plug their ears, and pound the table, the decision to go for it on 4th was not objectively wrong. In fact, the purely rational point expectancy there argues in favor of going for it. There are sound arguments on both sides and Dino had to pick one. It didn't work out. Life goes on. The only stupid position is the position that there is a right and wrong answer there.

Not true at all.
I provided the perfect scenario in when you do go for the 7 instead of 3.
Clearly everyone is mad because we lost by 3.
Guess what you still have OT to win the damn game.
Also you can point to about 5-7 plays by the PLAYERS that prevented use from getting more points.
BUT all Dino's fault for being aggressive, I guess.
Well guess what this is Dino he is aggressive, he has to be.
We have less talent then most ACC teams.

pretending like this is an objective right or wrong decision is stupid. As in, objectively stupid. Dino made a call and it backfired. That's life. Sometimes you go for it and succeed. Sometimes you go for it and lose. Sometimes getting the 7 instead of settling for 3 means you win by a point and sometimes passing up the 3 in search of 7 means you lose by 3.

But no matter how much some people want to close their eyes, plug their ears, and pound the table, the decision to go for it on 4th was not objectively wrong. In fact, the purely rational point expectancy there argues in favor of going for it. There are sound arguments on both sides and Dino had to pick one. It didn't work out. Life goes on. The only stupid position is the position that there is a right and wrong answer there.

Excellent post.

There's no "you always" this or "you never" that.

To state otherwise is dishonest.

It's not like we are an option for the Playoffs. I have absolutely no problem with going for the TD. We were 4-4, right? Go for it!

I have to agree with this position. We are still at least another year, and probably 2 years from being a legit football program. We’re not in a situation where a decision like this can cost us a National Championship. Me personally, I would have taken the 3. But Dino is not that kind of coach. I’m still very pleased that we are in tight games, even though most of these teams are bigger, faster, and deeper. Excited to see how things play out over the next 2-3 years. I’m getting a little long in the tooth, and only hope I’m around to see us in a meaningful bowl game.

for everyone complaining about going on 4th and 3 to kick instead of go, you have to take away the 4th down td then as most coaches would have punted there also

All coaches would’ve punted there.

No, it's wrong! When you are on the road and its the FIRST HALF take the points and move on. You don't pass up easy points in the first half. Especially when on the road playing a school who has better talent than you. Never turn down points in a big game when you are on the road. We had all the momentum going into halftime and by not taking those 3 FSU goes into the half feeling relieved and happy. Shifts momentum back to FSU.

Easy points? It was a tough angle and given Murphy's track record on the day, it definitely wasn't the reason why we lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom