Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman

Idk why but given Boeheims statements recently and how pissed the ACC was combined with a Boeheim being not so nice to reporters…those things catch up with you in time. I didn’t read the article though so there ya go. NIL won’t be going away anytime soon

So when Adam or another person pays a player... is that a charity, business expense or just spending money like buying a boat for pleasure?

In order of importance the ACC should call out and cease and desist allowing programs to try to buy players from member schools.

JB shouldn't have "named names" but this is small potatoes.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's clickbait. He talked to a lot of experts. There's just a lot of speculation in the piece, IMO.
The headline was clickbait if nothing else.

There’s no defending the article now that I read it it does nothing positve for our sports programs. It is imbalanced. The NCAA trying to get some half assed rules together on this is absurd and won’t work ever.

I haven’t read the article and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s bad….but it’s not the job of the PS to be a propaganda arm of the AD.

It's also not their job to be the opposite of a propaganda arm--whatever that is.

I mean ok, I agree, but I made that post specifically in response to “it does nothing positve for our sports programs” as if that’s an obligation of the PS or something.

In order of importance the ACC should call out and cease and desist allowing programs to try to buy players from member schools.

JB shouldn't have "named names" but this is small potatoes.
Except that recruits read this stuff and negative press might deter a recruit or his family to want to distance from Cuse.

Except that recruits read this stuff and negative press might deter a recruit or his family to want to distance from Cuse.

Yes, and Cuse is the only P5 program that has fans post this sorta stuff. :rolleyes:

I’m sure BBN is all unicorns and rainbows all the time, hence all their $u¢¢€$$ in crootin.

I haven’t read the article and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s bad….but it’s not the job of the PS to be a propaganda arm of the AD.

It’s not the job of the post standard but they have to a little more aware of how it can affect an entire community when syracuse sports isn’t relevant. Unfortunately they don’t or won’t because as you stated they aren’t, but the reality is we will continue to suck unless we finally after 18 months successfully bring a recruit in all legally btw and have some momentum? Finally have a booster willing to do things the right way and he’s trashed and embarrassed in public for no reason?? Why not write and investigate the countless boosters from across the country and put them by name for every school in the country. List all of them and be transparent….maybe you’ll find those that don’t abide by the rules and get away with anything they want anyways. The NCAA time and time again picks and chooses who to investigate. JB overstepped recently with his comments. We all know what will probably end up happening….this article will follow another article and it will only end up finding out exactly what Weistman already told them in an up front manner btw and in public. Go ahead and investigate and talk to a lawyer in Massachusetts and New Jersey who aren’t Syracuse fans to begin with to back your article…yeah that’s great

It’s not the job of the post standard but they have to a little more aware of how it can affect an entire community when syracuse sports isn’t relevant. Unfortunately they don’t or won’t because as you stated they aren’t, but the reality is we will continue to suck unless we finally after 18 months successfully bring a recruit in all legally btw and have some momentum?

They don’t have to be aware of that. They’re a newspaper. Not a cheerleader or a booster for SU.

Finally have a booster willing to do things the right way and he’s trashed and embarrassed in public for no reason??

You’re assuming facts not in evidence here.

Why not write and investigate the countless boosters from across the country and put them by name for every school in the country.

Because they’re a Syracuse newspaper, not Durham, Lawrence, Chapel Hill, or Houston’s newspaper.

By the way, I cannot stress enough how paragraphs make posts that much easier to read.

how about this. NO NIL MONEY TIL SOPHMORE YEAR.
goodbye tampering. which is what we now got.

early exit was bad for the sport. the transfer portal even worse. the abuse of the NIL is the kill shot to amateur college athletics as we knew it.

how about this. NO NIL MONEY TIL SOPHMORE YEAR.
goodbye tampering. which is what we now got.
Even so, most athletes will tell you it's the second NIL contract where they earn the big $.

The challenge that Adam and other similar boosters are faced with is dealing with an NCAA that has narrowly (and poorly) defined what NIL is and how it is supposed to be applied. Tee shirts, autographs, public appearances, etc were the intended vehicles for redistributing a minimal amount of $$ to current college athletes. It was never intended to be a vehicle to facilitate a bidding war between fellow colleges and universities to attract athletes to their program and create what is essentially a pay for play environment. That is entirely foreign to the whole concept of what the NCAA supposedly stands for,

No where in their minds eye could they ever see how the NIL concept could be manipulated to include $$ to influence high school players in their recruitment process. Now they have to scramble to address what they see as an unsavory aspect of college athletics because they didn't dot all the I's and cross all the T's when they first rolled out the program.

How successful the NCAA will be remains to be seen, but unlike others I would not rule them out. I'm not sure college administrators are ready for the free-for-all that would ensue.
This is a bit naive. I think they 100% knew it would be a giant problem and when they lost the case in court, decided to open the flood gates in an attempt to say "here, this is what you want" so they could be "right" in the end.

The best option was to realize that opening this can of worms was a) inevitable b) the right thing to do by the players and c) a major opportunity. An empowered NCAA could have said "we are going to work with all of the major stakeholders to ensure a fair and equitable situation for players AND programs" and upon agreement, the rules will be agreed to by all member institutions and iron-clad. This was the part that never happened. But they 100% knew it would end up exactly like it has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom