DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor

i think what we forget is that he was getting doubled a bunch of those times.. Now maybe he holds up better against that if he was bigger, but he was beating the center. the whole line was getting blown back in the ND game for sure.
Some fail to mention ND O line was doing that to everyone this year. It was the best unit Kelly left behind for Freeman.

Disappointed that Linton has entered the portal and I wish him good luck. But and in my eyes, this is not a major loss for we all know what the glaring issues are and Dino/staff need to finally lasso some big nasty dudes in the portal...something the CUSE hasn't done since Dino has been HC. Tired of seeing our DL getting pushed around most games.

Disappointed that Linton has entered the portal and I wish him good luck. But and in my eyes, this is not a major loss for we all know what the glaring issues are and Dino/staff need to finally lasso some big nasty dudes in the portal...something the CUSE hasn't done since Dino has been HC. Tired of seeing our DL getting pushed around most games.
The last two seasons they have given up less than 100 10 times. Another 6 between 100 and 150.

That’s being consistently good. Yep, they struggled once the line was down some guys. But the young guys that got thrown in the deep end will be back this year, and will come back stronger and bigger.

The last two seasons they have given up less than 100 10 times. Another 6 between 100 and 150.

That’s being consistently good. Yep, they struggled once the line was down some guys. But the young guys that got thrown in the deep end will be back this year, and will come back stronger and bigger.

...and I'll add to this by pointing out that Darton had to be an iron man. Next year, even if we don't add new personnel, the unit could be elevated by:

[1] Lockett returning to give us a viable two-deep inside
[2] Fuentes-Cundiff being a third-year player, who's got thrown to the wolves early but got a dose of playing time
[3] Bazille having a year under his belt
[4] Perry coming in ready
[5] Thompson -- who is a fantastic run-stuffing LB -- returning, and not missing the whole year

Etc.

This unit was consistently good. And they'll be even better with improved depth, and guys returning from injury.

Last edited:
Speaking of being consistently good ...

Linton was not that, but he was an occasionally great playmaker. And yes, a playmaker is exactly what he was, even if he wasn't an every down player.

He is a big loss. He filled in spectacularly when called upon. And to keep focusing on his weight when you can obviously see his contributions on the field is just nonsensical

And to focus on Darton's weight and height when the kid would just blow up the interior of a defensive line is just frustrating

In 2016 the defense were ranked 125th, 117th in 2017, 91st in 2018, 116th in 2019. We had 300 pounders like Slayton, Clark Samuels, Ruff, McKinley and Harper. It was no better with them. I rather be ranked 22nd and 29th on defense. It gives you a better chance of winning.
I know this is a Linton thread, and the stats guys might quibble. But since you posted defensive rankings that included our (much improved) secondary, I thought it might be interesting to look just at rushing yards allowed compared to our DL personnel. In 2017 we had the 99th ranked defense against the run (196 o-ypg) - with lots of size up front (280-320 with Ruff, Slayton, Samuels and MacW). They were even better the next year (2018, sans Samuels) with more experience and obviously a good offense: we moved up 34 spots to 65th (162 o-ypg).

After Slayton left, in 2019 we dropped 43 spots from 65th to 108 (201 o-ypg), stayed around the same in 2020 (105th, 209 o-ypg). But interestingly, in 2021 when we had some size and experience (MacW 285 and Josh Black 290) and NOT a great offense (ranked 93rd ypg), we made the biggest jump in recent years moving up 78 spots to 27th (127 o-ypg). Maybe TW and Achuff helped.

But this year with the same coaches and MacW and JB gone (with a similar offense - 89th ypg), we were both undersized (all interior guys at or < 270 Lockett, Darton, EFC ) and inexperienced. So we dropped 39 spots to 66th (149 0-ypg) and got dominated on the ground in some losses (ND, Pitt, Clemson).

Smaller shifts in ranking probably don't mean much. But huge jumps (30-80 spots during a 6 year period with different DC's) suggest that regardless of offensive prowess or scheme ... size and experience do play important roles in our run defense.

Last edited:
I know this is a Linton thread, and the math guys may flame me. But since you posted rankings that included our (excellent) pass defense, I thought it might be interesting to look specifically at rushing yards allowed compared to our DL personnel. In 2017 we had the 99th ranked defense against the run (196 o-ypg) - with lots of size up front (280-320 with Ruff, Slayton, Samuels and MacW). But they were even better the next year (2018, sans Samuels) with more experience and a good offense: we moved up 34 spots to 65th (162 o-ypg).

After Slayton left, in 2019 we dropped from 65th to 108 (201 o-ypg), stayed around the same in 2020 (105th, 209 o-ypg). But interestingly, in 2021 when we had some size and experience (MacW 285 and Josh Black 290) and NOT a great offense (ranked 93rd ypg), we made the biggest jump in recent years moving up 78 spots to 27th (127 o-ypg). Maybe this was TW lol.

But this year with MacW and JB gone, we were undersized (all interior guys at or < 270 Lockett, Darton, EFC ) and didn't have a lot of experience. So we dropped 39 spots to 66th (149 0-ypg) and got dominated on the ground in some losses (ND, Pitt, Clemson).

Smaller shifts in ranking probably don't mean much. But huge jumps (30-80 spots during a 6 year period with different DC's) indicate that regardless of offensive prowess or scheme ... size and experience have played important roles in our run defense.

I wasnt trying to go on a in depth research. I knew most of those numbers in my head. The scheme is more effective for us. I would say experience is the big factor. Its a factor for all teams. I can take seeing our D line getting pushed around at times if it means that we are better overall as a defense. Thats the point I was making. Cant just think of the D line unit alone. Next year the D line will be better because of the experience they bring back.

Last edited:
Speaking of being consistently good ...

Linton was not that, but he was an occasionally great playmaker. And yes, a playmaker is exactly what he was, even if he wasn't an every down player.

He is a big loss. He filled in spectacularly when called upon. And to keep focusing on his weight when you can obviously see his contributions on the field is just nonsensical

And to focus on Darton's weight and height when the kid would just blow up the interior of a defensive line is just frustrating
Blow up? In what universe were you watching these games?

...and I'll add to this by pointing out that Darton had to be an iron man. Next year, even if we don't add new personnel, the unit could be elevated by:

[1] Lockett returning to give us a viable two-deep inside
[2] Fuentes-Cundiff being a third-year player, who's got thrown to the wolves early but got a dose of playing time
[3] Bazille having a year under his belt
[4] Perry coming in ready
[5] Thompson -- who is a fantastic run-stuffing LB -- returning, and not missing the whole year

Etc.

This unit was consistently good. And they'll be even better with improved depth, and guys returning from injury.
Bazille? Wilky? He’d be a helluva help in the middle. Honestly, do we have another Bazille?

Bazille, Bassette,
Hasenpfeffer Incorporated
We’re gonna do it!! :p
GIF by The Heckler by TBS

Eating 5 pizza’s a day maybe isn’t the best way to put on good weight? Obviously there are certain foods you should be eating, in combination, to put on weight. They should have a daily schedule with a calorie breakdown and food options that will get you to where you need to be. For people with different body make ups like Marek and Steve the calorie in-take should be increased. Just like weight lifting there should be certain weight markers set where you are weighed in on schedule to make sure you’re hitting those gains and if not adjust the diet so you have a better chance to do so.

I remember Syracuse’s cafeteria having fountain soda on tap. That’s not even an option at some places. Kids are given protein shakes or other shakes to bring home to drink at certain times of the day, especially before bed, and when you wake up. Some are so serious where you are scheduled to eat during the middle of the night tk stay on your dietary schedule. This is all stuff a nutritionist will bring to a program. This will specifically help the kids like Steve and Makek who had trouble putting on good weight, but will also help the entire roster. You just don’t want lineman getting fat. You want them putting on good weight. I don’t think it’s crazy to say this is something a big time football program should have had a decade ago.
Read the stories on Louie Orr and SU’s attempts and his own family’s attempts to have him gain weight. It just didn’t work. His metabolism especially playing a sport that expended so much energy, prevented him from weight gain even in the pros. It worked for other players to gain and conversely lose weight but there were a number of players where all sincere efforts were fruitless.

Read the stories on Louie Orr and SU’s attempts and his own family’s attempts to have him gain weight. It just didn’t work. His metabolism especially playing a sport that expended so much energy, prevented him from weight gain even in the pros. It worked for other players to gain and conversely lose weight but there were a number of players where all sincere efforts were fruitless.
JB Reafsnyder as well. He didn’t start holding the weight until his last year. He played in Europe at 265-270. At SU he was 235-240 most of his career.

He should have hung out with me. He would have easily put on 50

If SU wanted they could probably match that, my guess is they don’t.

That same amount per player model is never going to work. It will end up destroying locker rooms.

QB1, RB1, WR1 are never going accept that they'll get the same as OL4 or even worse, K or P.

But it will be fun to watch this rudderless ship smash into a bunch of icebergs like a pinball.

Going for that $25k per player
Thats fair.

Syracuse DL is the better draft springboard but maybe he feels that his weights gonna stay his weight and the Big 12’s more favorable.

We have a lot of young edge talent. He may have been told that hes not guaranteed significant snaps this year

No problem. That’s who I figured you meant. I was just clarifying for another poster.
Mine was a genuine confusion, as in I didn’t know who you meant, but loved remembering Wilky Bazile and those teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom