DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor

No I’m saying why was it ok for Darton to play DT severely undersized, but Linton struggled to get PT, even on passing downs, because he was undersized. Steve and Geer were the only ones to consistently get some what of a pass rush .

Linton played on average 25 snaps a game.

This probably isn't the place. But since he's leaving... He doesn't get any blame for the Clemson loss, but if he didn't give up on the play that Fuentes- Cundiff hits the QB out of bounds, we probably win that game.

I don't think it was ever brought up, but when I saw it live I couldn't believe it. He needed to give 2 more seconds of effort...

Yea and if cooper doesn’t let a first down completion go off his face mask we still have the ball on their side of the field. He thought the guy was going out of bounds.

I know a guy who, while playing D2 soccer, was on a 5,000 calorie a day diet and lost weight. Some people just have crazy thyroids.
Can attest to this personally.

This probably isn't the place. But since he's leaving... He doesn't get any blame for the Clemson loss, but if he didn't give up on the play that Fuentes- Cundiff hits the QB out of bounds, we probably win that game.

I don't think it was ever brought up, but when I saw it live I couldn't believe it. He needed to give 2 more seconds of effort...

Ooof I remember that live and thought he’d pulled a hamstring or something. That was really poor effort.

Darton and Linton play different positions and Darton’s position has less depth this year.
I realize that . My point is people seem to be blaming Linton for not putting on weight. If anything it’s up to the program to develop their players. It’s an embarrassment we didn’t have a nutritionist full time on the staff making sure the athletes have customized diets to help them put on good weight, or in some cases lose weight in healthy way.

There were always references on the MOB podcast about Steve and “All the things he had to go through”. Never out right mentioned it, and it could be anything, but I think this is another player where we dropped the ball developmentally.

My only guess is they’re looking to beef up the DL cause of our rushing defensive woes.
There’s obviously a couple people I would look at ahead of Steve. He was mostly in on pass rushing downs. Our middle would get blown wide open every game. How we went into the season with only Lockett is head scratching. As soon as he went down so did our defense. He was literally the 1 player we couldn’t lose on that side of the ball.

Darton and Linton play different positions and Darton’s position has less depth this year.
Agree but isn’t Darton just shorter but about 50 or more lbs than Linton? Sorry , was meant for Anomander.

i saw far more plays that Darton won then he lost.. the DEs not being able to control the ends was the bigger issue on most plays
I dare you to go re-watch the Clemson, ND, Pitt, FSU, WF games then. There were times he would get blown 5 yards off the ball. Those teams were pounding the ball right down our throats right between the guards. It was simple old school running. It stuck out every game.

I can’t picture him saying no, so it’s probably player discretion. I haven’t heard any of the press ask him though, that’s a good question.
It wouldn't be a good idea for someone who is leaving to play in the bowl game.
Probably wouldn't sit well with the entire team. Best not to take the chance, don't need to take the chance.

I dare you to go re-watch the Clemson, ND, Pitt, FSU, WF games then. There were times he would get blown 5 yards off the ball. Those teams were pounding the ball right down our throats right between the guards. It was simple old school running. It stuck out every game.
In 2016 the defense were ranked 125th, 117th in 2017, 91st in 2018, 116th in 2019. We had 300 pounders like Slayton, Clark Samuels, Ruff, McKinley and Harper. It was no better with them. I rather be ranked 22nd and 29th on defense. It gives you a better chance of winning.

I realize that . My point is people seem to be blaming Linton for not putting on weight. If anything it’s up to the program to develop their players. It’s an embarrassment we didn’t have a nutritionist full time on the staff making sure the athletes have customized diets to help them put on good weight, or in some cases lose weight in healthy way.

There were always references on the MOB podcast about Steve and “All the things he had to go through”. Never out right mentioned it, and it could be anything, but I think this is another player where we dropped the ball developmentally.
Who’s blaming him? The things he’s had to go through is being consistently injured.

They had 5 games giving less than 100, another two less than 150 I’m pretty sure. Why do you keep harping about the run defense in a thread about a guy that didn’t play run downs?

They had 5 games giving less than 100, another two less than 150 I’m pretty sure. Why do you keep harping about the run defense in a thread about a guy that didn’t play run downs?
Some people act like the defensive line was killing it prior to this scheme. We were bad. There is no evidence of us having dominant interior D lines in recent years.

Last edited:

Why did do many other players put on weight and were jacked? Some people just can’t gain weight. Look at Marek. He ate pizza 5 meals a day and never gained an ounce. It’s lazy to say it’s because we didn’t have a full time nutritionist. We had a nutritionist, just not a football dedicated one.

That’s a great call. I remember noticing that but forgot all about it.

Linton is the first transfer that stings a bit so far this year. Queeley and Jackson made sense from a playing time aspect. Hough has the terrible injury and position change. Magnuson is buried on the depth chart.

Linton is a good situational player. I think a team could use him creatively for match-up purposes and he would be a solid player. He has decent pass rush capabilities. He just is not an every down player. I could see him having a really productive year on a Sun Belt, Conference USA, or AAC team next year. But where he decides to go will be everything to how well he ends up performing.

In 2016 the defense were ranked 125th, 117th in 2017, 91st in 2018, 116th in 2019. We had 300 pounders like Slayton, Clark Samuels, Ruff, McKinley and Harper. It was no better with them. I rather be ranked 22nd and 29th on defense. It gives you a better chance of winning.
My point exactly.

It's too bad, his grandfather is from Syracuse and I believe still lives there.

Why did do many other players put on weight and were jacked? Some people just can’t gain weight. Look at Marek. He ate pizza 5 meals a day and never gained an ounce. It’s lazy to say it’s because we didn’t have a full time nutritionist. We had a nutritionist, just not a football dedicated one.
Eating 5 pizza’s a day maybe isn’t the best way to put on good weight? Obviously there are certain foods you should be eating, in combination, to put on weight. They should have a daily schedule with a calorie breakdown and food options that will get you to where you need to be. For people with different body make ups like Marek and Steve the calorie in-take should be increased. Just like weight lifting there should be certain weight markers set where you are weighed in on schedule to make sure you’re hitting those gains and if not adjust the diet so you have a better chance to do so.

I remember Syracuse’s cafeteria having fountain soda on tap. That’s not even an option at some places. Kids are given protein shakes or other shakes to bring home to drink at certain times of the day, especially before bed, and when you wake up. Some are so serious where you are scheduled to eat during the middle of the night tk stay on your dietary schedule. This is all stuff a nutritionist will bring to a program. This will specifically help the kids like Steve and Makek who had trouble putting on good weight, but will also help the entire roster. You just don’t want lineman getting fat. You want them putting on good weight. I don’t think it’s crazy to say this is something a big time football program should have had a decade ago.

That was a response to a specific question, and it proves my point . After Lockett went down we didnt come close In those games to allowing those numbers

Last edited:
i think what we forget is that he was getting doubled a bunch of those times.. Now maybe he holds up better against that if he was bigger, but he was beating the center. the whole line was getting blown back in the ND game for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom