DO article on NJ recruiting | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

DO article on NJ recruiting

Marrone should have been the perfect coach to clean up in NY. From the city, SU alumnus, constantly visitin/doing camps in the city. But if I remember correctly, the coaches were thrilled to send their borderline kids up here but always pushed their blue chip players to the big schools. In the end there was no loyalty and there wasn’t a great return on the investment. Maybe it would have changed if Marrone stuck around but we’ll never know.
Marrone took over an absolute circus. We stopped recruiting NY/NJ under Robinson. Even though Marrone was a NYer and so were key guys on his staff, but these coaches weren't just going to start pushing their top guys to Syracuse without some trust built. Even still we came the closest to getting actual blue chip recruits in Ebo and Ishaq. I think the foundation Marrone laid was about to really start paying off. We still had guys like Gus Edwards committed. I don't think it's debatable that Marrone and his staff did the best job recruiting given the huge obstacles he was up against with tick poor facilities and Big East affiliation, coming off an absolute disaster that was the Grob reign.

Marrone should have been the perfect coach to clean up in NY. From the city, SU alumnus, constantly visitin/doing camps in the city. But if I remember correctly, the coaches were thrilled to send their borderline kids up here but always pushed their blue chip players to the big schools. In the end there was no loyalty and there wasn’t a great return on the investment. Maybe it would have changed if Marrone stuck around but we’ll never know.
And Marrone got a lot more press in NYC than Dino does. I think if Marrone stuck around we would have got more/higher rated players I think we’re starting to see that with Dino/Monroe and DB’s. High school players know they can go from SU into NFL. It’s just weird because I think we all thought it would be QB’s and WR’s

Speaking of Doug, at the basketball game today.

Back to NJ recruiting.

How can we take recruiting, especially from Rutgers serious, when Dohn is evaluating?

He bumped the CB who I am a big fan of up to a 4* #2 NJ prospect right before his Rutgers commitment, well after season, and then bumped up their transfer OL to a 4* recently as well.

It's well documented that Dohn will bump up Rutgers commits when he is clued in by Rutgers staff or insiders that a kid will commit to them, and bump down Syracuse commits or kids are expected to sign with Syracuse.

It's been documented a few times in recent years.

This 1 Billion times over.

We’re only getting the blue chip NYC/NJ recruits if we’re on a comparable level to out of state programs as far as success. It’s that simple. If they want to stay local at a struggling program they can take the train to Rutgers. It’s a hell of a lot closer for them and their families.

NYC is so far from Syracuse it virtually is in another state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom