Do we even realize what Coach K has on his bench? | Syracusefan.com

Do we even realize what Coach K has on his bench?

OrangeDW

Living Legend
We've got people who trash Boeheim for not playing his bench. And the recent guys he doesn't play enough? Everyone from Ron Patterson to freshman Tyler Roberson to Frank Howard, etc. going way back to Eric Williams and Ethan Cole. Do we see what Coach K has on this roster doing little and playing little???

Coach K has the #1 recruit Harry Giles coming off his bench averaging 4.9 points per game! He's got top 10 recruit Chase Jeter averaging 2.7 points and 2.6 rebounds per game! Top 40 recruit Javin DeLaurier averages 1.7 and 2.3. These are potential lottery picks this year(Giles) and in the next couple years(the other two). Yes, I know about the injuries. That hasn't mattered when some of you criticize Boeheim's short bench this year. So I don't care.

Frank Jackson was a borderline top 10 recruit and one of the best PG prospects not named Fultz, Ball, or Dennis Smith...and John Gillon is outplaying him(and half the board have spent the year trashing Gillon!)

We beat this team with multiple projected first round picks that don't even play! Coach K must really suck. Short bench and loses to a team with significantly less talent. The entire offense was passing the ball around the perimeter aimlessly and chucking 3's or letting the stud NBA player(Tatum) make a play. Horrible end of the game execution on the last possession as they pussyfooted with the ball on the perimeter, waited too long to go, and got a terrible shot. And the possession before, Allen jacked a deep three and bricked it. No defensive adjustments. The man to man defense gave up 53 points and 70% shooting in the second half and he just sits in that same man to man. He should retire now.

If you're a top freshman why would you want to go there to just ride the pine if you can go somewhere else and play immediately? Makes zero sense to me. Hopefully these kids start realizing that.

Makes no sense. Studs go to Kentucky to play half the game at the most because he's promised 6 other studs the same thing. Studs go to Duke to not even play. Meanwhile Markelle Fultz is averaging 23 and 5 at Washington and is a top 2 pick. Hopefully so many of them stop all going to the same 2 schools.

Wonder if Q. Green was watching Gillon shine against Duke the other night? He could've ran the show here next year. Like 35 mpg, ball in his hands constantly run the show. At UK, he's another guy. And they'll have another guy coming in right behind him the following year.

Strange post, understand what you are trying to do here but really doesn't make much sense. Really has no merit with either school. Coach K won a national championship in 2015 as well I think he has 5 now?

Just trying to apply some consistency. If we're going to criticize Boeheim for not playing scrubs, we've got to criticize Coach K for not playing lottery picks.

If we're going to criticize Boeheim for playing zone when the other team scores a lot, we should criticize K for playing man when the other team scores a lot.

If we're going to blame Boeheim when his players spaz late in a game we should criticize Coach K when his players do the same. Syracuse badly out-executed lottery pick ladden Duke in the last minute of the game. When that one goes the other way, its a big thing around here. So I'm talking about it!

Oh yeah, some kid who went to Arkansas Little Rock and Colorado State just took a dump on Duke's lottery picks. Must be the coaching staff that put him in position to do so.

Last edited:
Duke played 7 guys(multiple top recruits didn't even get in the game) and scored 50 points today in a loss. Doesn't play his bench and doesn't run a sophisticated offense. #1 recruit Harry Giles(0ften compared to Chris Webber and Kevin Garnett) in the country scored 2 points. Tatum shot 4-16. When White shot bad against Louisville, it was Boeheim's offense's fault. So when infinitely more talented Tatum does nothing....whose fault is it?

Just looking for some consistency here.

Duke played 7 guys(multiple top recruits didn't even get in the game) and scored 50 points today in a loss. Doesn't play his bench and doesn't run a sophisticated offense. #1 recruit Harry Giles(0ften compared to Chris Webber and Kevin Garnett) in the country scored 2 points. Tatum shot 4-16. When White shot bad against Louisville, it was Boeheim's offense's fault. So when infinitely more talented Tatum does nothing...whose fault is it?

Just looking for some consistency here.

I hear ya...but 5 national championships to one and its significance trumps everything.

I hear ya...but 5 national championships to one and its significance trumps everything.

What's that got to do with right now? Boeheim's 1,000 wins and national title don't matter when these guys are wishing Shaka Smart or Sean Miller was our coach. So what does 1992 or 2001 or even 2015 have to do with anything? Coach K has projected lottery picks not even getting into the game, played 7, his D got roasted, and his guys spazzed on their last two offensive possessions and choked away a game they led all the way. He must suck and need to retire.

Oh yeah, his team scored 50 points and lost tonight despite having like 5 projected first round picks this year(more coming in the next few years). I guess he can't coach offense either.

What's that got to do with right now? Boeheim's 1,000 wins and national title don't matter when these guys are wishing Shaka Smart or Sean Miller was our coach. So what does 1992 or 2001 or even 2015 have to do with anything? Coach K has projected lottery picks not even getting into the game, played 7, his D got roasted, and his guys spazzed on their last two offensive possessions and choked away a game they led all the way. He must suck and need to retire.

Oh yeah, his team scored 50 points and lost tonight despite having like 5 projected first round picks this year(more coming in the next few years). I guess he can't coach offense either.

Again, 5 national championships, including one just two seasons ago. It speaks for itself. It's like that sales rep who's paperwork/contract always has administrative issues, but he blows everyone else away in production/generated revenue, etc., so it's overlooked or just swept under the rug. May not be fair, but that's life.

Again, 5 national championships, including one just two seasons ago. It speaks for itself. It's like that sales rep who's paperwork/contract always has administrative issues, but he blows everyone else away in production/generated revenue, etc., so it's overlooked or just swept under the rug. May not be fair, but that's life.

Awesome. And we just beat that guy? With 5 NC's and lottery picks that he doesn't even play? Our coach must be a genius to beat that guy.

Awesome. And we just beat that guy? With 5 NC's and lottery picks that he doesn't even play? Our coach must be a genius to beat that guy.

He is a genius and a wizard I think too. The spell he cast on those Duke players early in the first half and making them miss on a few of those 3-4 on one fast breaks was remarkable. And, that Gillon bank shot to win it at the buzzer was genius as well, if not pure magic! ;):)

He is a genius and a wizard I think too. The spell he cast on those Duke players early in the first half and making them miss on a few of those 3-4 on one fast breaks was remarkable. And, that Gillon bank shot to win it at the buzzer was genius as well, if not pure magic! ;):)

Coach k's guys didn't finish in transition or execute down the stretch...his fault. Or is it only Syracuse players that are robots that if the coach simply presses the right buttons, will play perfectly everytime?

Boeheim beat the 5 time champ that has 7 first rounders on his roster! What a coach. Zone >>>>man to man, since the man to man gave up 53 points on 70% shooting in the decisive half. Make an adjustment, K! Stop sitting in that same man to man!

We had some guy on here posting last week saying "not nice what Boeheim did to that kid" in reference to Dion Waiters. Dion, of course, averaged 6 ppg on a team with two starting guards back as a freshman. He was a bit overweight. He came into his sophomore year in great shape, continued to come off the bench though he played as much as anybody, and averaged 12 ppg on a 34-3 team. He got drafted 4th. He's currently an NBA starter. "Not nice". SMH. That's what the guy said.

"Not nice what JB did to that kid."

Coach K has multiple higher rated kids out of high school playing far less and doing far less on his team this year. "Not nice what K is doing to those kids?" Right? Or do you pissants not pay attention to any other teams out there, and don't understand how team basketball at a high level works? The #1 recruit in the country is averaging 5 points per game. A sophomore that was a top 10 recruit doesn't even play! A top 40 freshman with freak size, athleticism, and future lottery potential(watch), doesn't even play. This from a 5 time champion coach. "Not nice"? Or do we only act like stupid soccer moms who don't understand team sports when it's our coach?

If K isn't playing guys it's because they cannot help him win.

Agreed. Same with Boeheim.

Except the guys K has that can't help him win right now, are better than some of our starters that can help us win.

We still beat them though.

We've got people who trash Boeheim for not playing his bench. And the recent guys he doesn't play enough? Everyone from Ron Patterson to freshman Tyler Roberson to Frank Howard, etc. going way back to Eric Williams and Ethan Cole. Do we see what Coach K has on this roster doing little and playing little???

Coach K has the #1 recruit Harry Giles coming off his bench averaging 4.9 points per game! He's got top 10 recruit Chase Jeter averaging 2.7 points and 2.6 rebounds per game! Top 40 recruit Javin DeLaurier averages 1.7 and 2.3. These are potential lottery picks this year(Giles) and in the next couple years(the other two). Yes, I know about the injuries. That hasn't mattered when some of you criticize Boeheim's short bench this year. So I don't care.

Frank Jackson was a borderline top 10 recruit and one of the best PG prospects not named Fultz, Ball, or Dennis Smith...and John Gillon is outplaying him(and half the board have spent the year trashing Gillon!)

We beat this team with multiple projected first round picks that don't even play! Coach K must really suck. Short bench and loses to a team with significantly less talent. The entire offense was passing the ball around the perimeter aimlessly and chucking 3's or letting the stud NBA player(Tatum) make a play. Horrible end of the game execution on the last possession as they pussyfooted with the ball on the perimeter, waited too long to go, and got a terrible shot. And the possession before, Allen jacked a deep three and bricked it. No defensive adjustments. The man to man defense gave up 53 points and 70% shooting in the second half and he just sits in that same man to man. He should retire now.

To be fair, Giles has had some major Knee issues, he isn't the player he could be right now, but your point is valid. Duke gets like 4 mcdonalds all americans every year, and they never have a bench, ever.

Giles is coming off a major knee injury, no? Most people think he won't be fully ready until next season.

I'm surprised Jackson has not had that much of an impact. I saw some games of his in H.S. on ESPN against good competition (one against Battle) and he was outstanding. He's not a PG though.

Jeter was always overrated, IMO.

Fultz had a connection with Romar and his assistant from way back early on. He's an Under Armour kid, too. Francis and others know more about that recruitment.

They aren't all choosing Duke and UK. Arizona has a bunch of studs too. All those teams are reloading after losing some major players and are pretty much doing just fine. We're still crying about Tyler Ennis.

To be fair, Giles has had some major Knee issues, he isn't the player he could be right now, but your point is valid. Duke gets like 4 mcdonalds all americans every year, and they never have a bench, ever.

True. But Coleman has knee issues, Chukwu almost went blind, and Moyer is redshirting because he was hurt and some of these goofballs still blame Boeheim for only playing the 7 guys he has available to him.

If Giles was here and playing half a game and getting 5 ppg? Wow! They'd be so dramatic.

I'm being completely sarcastic in regards to coach K. He's trying to win, he's one of the best ever, and I couldn't care less about him or his program. I'm just making some points that I feel need to be made.

True. But Coleman has knee issues, Chukwu almost went blind, and Moyer is redshirting because he was hurt and some of these goofballs still blame Boeheim for only playing the 7 guys he has available to him.

If Giles was here and playing half a game and getting 5 ppg? Wow! They'd be so dramatic.

I'm being completely sarcastic in regards to coach K. He's trying to win, he's one of the best ever, and I couldn't care less about him or his program. I'm just making some points that I feel need to be made.

Who's blaming Boeheim about the bench? There are no other options because of what you said.

Giles is coming off a major knee injury, no? Most people think he won't be fully ready until next season.

I'm surprised Jackson has not had that much of an impact. I saw some games of his in H.S. on ESPN against good competition (one against Battle) and he was outstanding. He's not a PG though.

Jeter was always overrated, IMO.

Fultz had a connection with Romar and his assistant from way back early on. He's an Under Armour kid, too. Francis and others know more about that recruitment.

They aren't all choosing Duke and UK. Arizona has a bunch of studs too. All those teams are reloading after losing some major players and are pretty much doing just fine. We're still crying about Tyler Ennis.

#1 pick. Lottery pick. 5 ppg.

Jackson is a top prospect. Figure it out. We're trying to make Frank Howard work off the bench. Oh yeah...we beat them. And they scored 50 and lost tonight.

Roberson was always overrated IMO. But he started for us and almost averaged a double double. What would Jeter do here?

Duke and UK have been consistently getting the best classes, but they don't win every year. Neither does Arizona. We're still crying about Ennis while being on probation but the Arkansas Little Rock recruit kid we've got running point just took a giant, watery, smelly dump on Duke.

#1 pick. Lottery pick. 5 ppg.

Jackson is a top prospect. Figure it out. We're trying to make Frank Howard work off the bench. Oh yeah...we beat them. And they scored 50 and lost tonight.

Roberson was always overrated IMO. But he started for us and almost averaged a double double. What would Jeter do here?

Duke and UK have been consistently getting the best classes, but they don't win every year. Neither does Arizona. We're still crying about Ennis while being on probation but the Arkansas Little Rock recruit kid we've got running point just took a giant, watery, smelly dump on Duke.

What's your point? Re: Jackson I can't figure it out as I expressed. You do realize that Gillon (fortunately) was a last minute emergency add because we had like NO PG on the roster, right? Duke had beat us 3 out of 4 prior to the other night. I don't get your rant.

Didn't even mention Top 20 Frosh Marques Bolden who was a projected 1st rounder to begin the season. Didn't play a minute in the Dome & I don't recall reading that he was injured. Played 14 mins today.

Who's blaming Boeheim about the bench? There are no other options because of what you said.

I wish I took note of the names. But it's happened.

But "we play 7 every year." So does Duke though.

I just find it funny that they play a short bench(while having projected 1st rounders not even get in the game), choke down the stretch l, get lit up defensively while staying in the same defense, and lose whole scoring 50 points in back to back games....literally every criticism that people have been making of Boeheim. They have more talent though and aren't on probation, so good for them. And they're 5 time champs and just won it a couple years ago. But we did just beat them. For the second time in a row. And we've been to a final four more recently than them. Sometimes you'd think we'll never win another game again from reading here and they're the best team in the history of basketball, but a lot of the issues we complain about they have too.

Didn't even mention Top 20 Frosh Marques Bolden who was a projected 1st rounder to begin the season. Didn't play a minute in the Dome & I don't recall reading that he was injured. Played 14 mins today.

Good point. Didn't realize he was that high of a recruit, but have seen him on NBA radars. They've got a veteran Jefferson and #1 recruit Giles, but this kid must be getting Krychefski'd(I spell it my way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom