Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
Kenan Thompson What GIF by Saturday Night Live

We have played ONE game ranked past December 5th the last 9 seasons. That was a tied for 25th ranking on 12/15. Indiana has played 46 and counting. That is 46-1. Also during that span we made 4 NCAAs and 1 NIT. Indiana is on their way to their 4th NCAAT and also have 2 NITs. In conference Indiana is 80-83. SU is 81-78 Ws. Chances are Indiana catches us there. They have also won a B1G reg season (our high is 6th in the ACC). They also made a B1GT Semi, which we have never done in the ACC.

No way in hell I trade or last 9 for their last 9, given the NCAAT. But I certainly would trade November to Feburary.

The had the better good team (at the very start of this 9 year span we’ve decided on). They’ve also had the worse bad teams and they’ve finished .500 or better in the conference twice. Big Ten fans will tell you their conference was tougher in that stretch but we know better than that.

I’m not giving them points for getting ranked early in the season then flushing it down the pipes.

Most people here want JB let go as soon as possible to protect the JB from himself as well as protecting the University and program he built. He is now becoming a laughing stock nationally as he is turning into the old man yelling from the porch or whatever. Nobody and I mean nobody wants to see JB go out like that because he has brought us all so much joy over the years. 95% (probably 100% but couldn't help but use JBs 95%) of the fan base wants JB let go for his own good.
Well put. That's exactly how I feel.

Most people here want JB let go as soon as possible to protect the JB from himself as well as protecting the University and program he built. He is now becoming a laughing stock nationally as he is turning into the old man yelling from the porch or whatever. Nobody and I mean nobody wants to see JB go out like that because he has brought us all so much joy over the years. 95% (probably 100% but couldn't help but use JBs 95%) of the fan base wants JB let go for his own good.

The ol’ sell low strategy

The had the better good team (at the very start of this 9 year span we’ve decided on). They’ve also had the worse bad teams and they’ve finished .500 or better in the conference twice. Big Ten fans will tell you their conference was tougher in that stretch but we know better than that.

I’m not giving them points for getting ranked early in the season then flushing it down the pipes.

Maybe a better way to use IU would be to take the clock back 15-20 years. After Knight they have been a roller coaster. That is probably not a far stretch from what we can look forward to unless we make the perfect hire. As for who I'd rather be I am with you here- their better teams have been overrated quite a bit. I certainly would rather be them this year but our programs are in different phases post having a lifer HOF coach.

It just pinpoints how critical the next hire is while also making it so hard to know. They really thought they struck gold with Davis... and then the reality of what has happened since...

At this point he almost has to be hoping for some type of colossal meltdown. Which would leave him with no other option and 100% public sentiment behind him.

That could very well be.

I've believed for many years that AW is in a lose-lose situation with JB. Coming off the second probation, there was a clear path in place for JB to depart. So all you have to do is get to the finish line, and let JB walk off into the sunset. Then he decided to stick around, and the program continues to slip a notch.

So what can AW do? If he pushes him out, then AW is the bad guy who forced an iconic HOF coach out in the eyes of the fanbase. And if he does nothing, then the program continues to decline.

Really, there is no good option -- both of them suck.

By letting JB's obstinance do himself in, it gives him the impetus to take decisive action.

That could very well be.

I've believed for many years that the AW is in a lose-lose situation with JB. Coming off the second probation, there was a clear path in place for JB to depart. So all you have to do is get to the finish line, and let JB walk off into the sunset. Then he decided to stick around, and the program continues to slip a notch.

So what can AW do? If he pushes him out, then AW is the bad guy. And if he does nothing, then the program continues to decline.

Really, there is no good option -- both of them suck.

By letting JB's obstinance do himself in, it gives him the impetus to take decisive action.

What’s going to happen, since sentiment has already turned, is they’re going to get JB out after this season and rush to find a new hc. The uncertainty is going to push out most of the players on the current roster. We’ll play a season with mercenaries, probably to the tune of about 14 wins. A single poor season will be excused but fans will quickly want to see exceptional results. Whomever the coach is will have a monumental, almost impossible, task ahead of him. If another losing season occurs, the fan base will go full meltdown, call for the firing of Wildhack, and blame everything on JB staying too long.

What in the heck is he talking about now?

What he is referring to is it allows boosters to pay players to go to schools which is pay for play. Not what NIL is intended. An Alabama booster is bot paying NIL money for a player to go to Auburn.

JBs point is a good one but its impossible to police it in the manner he is suggesting

“I really think boeheim just needs to retire. Give someone else a chance. I think we need someone young and up beat. He’s almost 80, he left his mark.”

My mother randomly just now. Lol. Not a diehard fan or anything, but did work on the hill for like 36 years.

I've been pretty disenchanted with the results of the last 5-6 years like everyone else and agree that a change is the best way out, even if it causes some short-term discomfort. But the last few home games have still drawn around 20K fans. Obviously that's not the 25K and occasional 30K+ that we were accustomed to, but I wonder how much that plays into JW/BoT's current attitudes. And again, it's not like this level of performance is new.

I don't live in CNY so I don't have a strong grasp of the local attitudes, but it seems like most SU fans are tolerating the poor results just fine, at least by the attendance numbers, and we are a vocal minority. Is that fair to say?

Last edited:
I've been pretty disenchanted with the results of the last 5-6 years like everyone else and agree that a change is the best way out, even if it causes some short-term discomfort. But the last few home games have still drawn around 20K fans. Obviously that's not the 25K and very occasional 30K+ that we were accustomed to, but I wonder how much that plays into the current situation. And again, it's not like this level of performance is new.

I don't live in CNY so I don't have a strong grasp of the local attitudes, but it seems like most SU fans are tolerating the poor results just fine, at least by the attendance numbers, and we are a vocal minority. Is that fair to say?

For how bad we’ve been, we rarely lose games convincingly. Playing good teams close might not matter in terms of record but it does matter in terms of entertainment. And ticket prices fall as the team gets worse. Somebody who won’t pay $80 for a ticket to see a bad team might be fine paying $30.

What’s going to happen, since sentiment has already turned, is they’re going to get JB out after this season and rush to find a new hc. The uncertainty is going to push out most of the players on the current roster. We’ll play a season with mercenaries, probably to the tune of about 14 wins. A single poor season will be excused but fans will quickly want to see exceptional results. Whomever the coach is will have a monumental, almost impossible, task ahead of him. If another losing season occurs, the fan base will go full meltdown, call for the firing of Wildhack, and blame everything on JB staying too

That's a lot of assumptions. Why is JB moving on this year worst case scenario? What if he did decide on his own to leave this year?

Also over the last few years the sentiment amongst the fans has been that any new coach needs time. 3-5 years of time. This community is more condensed with hard core fans but even this community for the most part hasn't expressed expecting a new coach to mean 25 wins year 1 or 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom