Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned .. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned ..

Celtics are struggling.

When will Brad Stevens make himself available?

He would be my first choice, but SU is not
going to pay him $7 million a year to coach.

He would be my first choice, but SU is not
going to pay him $7 million a year to coach.
Michigan State boosters raised nearly $10m a year for a coach that has 1 year of decent results at a school that is somewhat competitive once in a while. Has to be somewhat to come up with $35m over 5 years if those kinds of schools are coming up with $95m over 10 for football coaches with no history of success.

I remember when the board told me Brad Stevens was going to be the Duke coach. Fun Times.

Not a realistic candidate whatsoever. Another guy that’s never coming back to college.

I remember when the board told me Brad Stevens was going to be the Duke coach. Fun Times.

Not a realistic candidate whatsoever. Another guy that’s never coming back to college.

He decided to wait until the SU job opened.

Money isn’t the issue. Stevens is making 3.7 million to be an executive. Some guys don’t want to coach in college anymore.

Brad is happily living in Wellesley, has an executive gig now with the Celtics. I'd be shocked if he moves to college. I think his lifestyle is such that he gets to his kids games and lives very comfortably.

Basketball can have down seasons but the brand is soooo strong among young and old people across the country (listen to the Hopkins, Harts talk about watching SU on tv from LA) we'll be just fine. The Carrier Dome is a unique basketball experience. I think college basketball, as an entity, benefits from SU having that on tv. It's a massive event that we'll capitalize on for decades to come

Bingo. Some programs simply have brand strength that is greater than the ups-and-downs of performance.
Its fashionable for people to say how hoops programs like, say, Indiana and UCLA are "irrelevant" because their glory days are well in the past. But those brands are about as close to timeless as is possible in this sport. Big fanbases, great facilities, and prioritization from the school means a return to glory is never out of the question. Syracuse is that kind of program.

I mean, think about college football and Miami. They haven't been a legit national title contender in ages, yet their brand is still enormously strong.

There is no comparing SU hoops and football. Its almost as if they exist in different universes.

I thought merely bringing up Stevens would sound off all the sarcasm alarms.
Guess not!

IMO this year is the first "bad" team we've had since I started watching SU Basketball. The other teams post-2014 I would describe more as mediocre. Prolly still doesn't mean that much but just wanted to put that out there
2019-2020 was pretty rough.

Making the NIT is like making a crap bowl game.
I still feel like the bowl season is far more popular even the lower ranking SyrFan Bowl etc Ketchup Bowl then the NIT though for whatever that’s worth.

I loathe that we are looking at the NIT :/.

This would’ve been a great question to ask over Thanksgiving dinner… in 1987.

Sure in 87 Ben Schartzwalder was still having lunch at Tulleys. The 59 team was like 28 years in the past. Be like comparing the fiesta bowl of 93 to today.

Football mattered more in 87. We became niche and cool w the Pearl coming. Boeheim even admits that was the moment in time when we became SYRACUSE BASKETBALL.

Since Pearl it became a debate. Since 03 it’s become a landslide. Hoops matters now 6 times to Sunday

Basketball can compete for the NC.
Football can’t.
I will say until we have a change in basketball I would feel neither is going to be top 25.

Right now - I am waaaaay more optimistic about Football.

Raise your hand if you thought that Cuse football would be giving you more sports joy over the past 6 weeks (after finishing up a disappointing, non-bowl season) than Cuse hoops?

Ok, put your hand down, you lying liar. ;)

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Football - Has far exceeded off-season expectations to date, addressed every major issue (still working on DL & WR), and seems on an upswing.

Hoops - I’ve already mailed in this season, and if we do the Boeheim Family Reunion Tour 2.0 next year, I think I’m gonna put the hoops board on Ignore.

Right now - I am waaaaay more optimistic about Football.

Raise your hand if you thought that Cuse football would be giving you more sports joy over the past 6 weeks (after finishing up a disappointing, non-bowl season) than Cuse hoops?

Ok, put your hand down, you lying liar. ;)

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Football - Has far exceeded off-season expectations to date, addressed every major issue (still working on DL & WR), and seems on an upswing.

Hoops - I’ve already mailed in this season, and if we do the Boeheim Family Reunion Tour 2.0 next year, I think I’m gonna put the hoops board on Ignore.
Agree. Football is at least trying to solve it's problems. Boeheim Family Reunion Tour 2.0 would indicate there is some denial there is a problem.

JW has to have the same talk with JB that he did with Dino. Make changes or I will have to make a change.

JW has to have the same talk with JB that he did with Dino. Make changes or I will have to make a change.
No one is going to have that kind of Talk with JB. He already told the athletic department he wasn't going to retire, that's why Hop left.

I’m feeling pretty good about both programs at this point,

On the hoops side, picking up a commitment from Judah was huge. If Mr Swider comes back, Jesse continues to develop, and Benny becomes what I think he can be, things seem to be sliding into place. I expect that the defense will be much, much better. I love a motivated JB, btw.

On the football side, for some crazy reason I am feeling the most confident I have in the past several years. From what I’ve seen, the players and coaches all seem to exhibit a very quiet confidence. Continuing to work hard toward a goal becomes easier when you actually believe you can achieve it - that saying “we can be good” is not just lip service, but something real. I get that feeling here.

The spring game was a treat for me out here in CA. I settled in at 4 PM, saw the interviews, watched the game, and came away impressed with the size and speed of the team, the apparent depth at running back, wide receivers who I think didn’t drop anything, QB’s who look the part, and a defense that I hope takes another step forward. Oh, and the marketing side of the program seems to have entered a new phase.

I am now officially looking forward to getting to the dome in late October, and watching these young men out hustle and out play and soundly defeat the Duke of college football for me - ND. I think it is going to be a special season - LGO.