Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned .. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned ..

Can the football team sign the 35th best recruit in the country?
No shot but I bet the football team puts out better draft performances in the next three years than the basketball team does

We are a top 10 brand nationally in hoops.
since when ? we're pedaling hard to keep up with creighton crissakes . do you even look at the polls ?

since when ? we're pedaling hard to keep up with creighton crissakes .
He said "brand" not team. Even though we suck as of late, we're definitely still in that 2nd tier of brands after Duke/UNC/Kansas/Kentucky.

He said "brand" not team. Even though we suck as of late, we're definitely still in that 2nd tier of brands after Duke/UNC/Kansas/Kentucky.
and villanova, and virginia, and UCLA, and Michigan proper and STATE, and Gonzaga, and...you get the picture. you ain't in it if you ain't winning . and we are off the map.

and villanova, and virginia, and UCLA, and Michigan proper and STATE, and Gonzaga, and...you get the picture.
Agreed. So probably toward the bottom of the Top 10.

Agreed. So probably toward the bottom of the Top 10.
last title belt ? atlantis ?

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar
I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside, sat down, had a few drinks
But all he kept talking about was GLORY DAYS

well they pass you by...

Last edited:

While dollars aren’t the whole brand picture, the last data I saw we were 6th in revenue and 4th in profit.

False equivalence, football roster gets 85 scholarship players where basketball gets 13. He's 53rd by 247sports who are hands down the best recruiting service these days. 2018 and 2019 football recruiting class both had 3 top 500 recruits.

While dollars aren’t the whole brand picture, the last data I saw we were 6th in revenue and 4th in profit.
average price of a ticket to watch SU basketball is $85. average price at NOVA $50 .
yes they seat far fewer. we may make more money. which in your eyes is the better product ?

average price of a ticket to watch SU basketball is $85. average price at NOVA $50 .
yes they seat far fewer. we may make more money. which in your eyes is the better product ?

Villanova has the better basketball program right now. Syracuse has the better brand.

This might be the most ridiculous argument or discussion that I have seen on this board. The hoops team just had their first losing season in over 50 years. Since just 2016, we have been to a final 4 and two other sweet 16. The football program hire a couple of ass'ts after another losing season and all of a sudden, they are the program that is ahead of the basketball program? I love both. But if the question is which program will get us back to a big time game first, it's hoop.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Basketball and it's no contest. We have stunk in football for 20 years. Not just bad. Not just under achieved. Stunk. A lot of the football problems are systemic and not easily changed by any coach. There is no reason for SU to not be reasonably good in basketball every year.

First, calm down.

Second, brand.

Third, I know what I’m talking about.
you talk "brand " and don't mention notre dame ? or how about BAMA or DAWGS ?
kids aren't snapping up SU jerseys anymore mr belbivdevoe. we are not a hot "brand".

-d7776337874ab515.jpg

This might be the most ridiculous argument or discussion that I have seen on this board. The hoops team just had their first losing season in over 50 years. Since just 2016, we have been to a final 4 and two other sweet 16. The football program hire a couple of ass'ts after another losing season and all of a sudden, they are the program that is ahead of the basketball program? I love both. But if the question is which program will get us back to a big time game first, it's hoop.
More likely to happen next year:

Football makes a bowl, or b-ball makes the tourney?

I’m leaning football, at this point.

I agree, b-ball will get back to the big time first. Way more upside.

No but we need alot more than that. If we don't add a significant forward and a backup center we are in trouble. I think the football team can win 7 next year.

For a fan with a 60+ year perspective I can remember when the school was SERIOUSLY considering deemphasizing football. So we are ahead of that. I still think what Coach Mac did was a near miracle. I don't think we are ever going to be in a position to compete with the big state university programs on a regular basis.

The way basketball is now, you can come back in a season, and then stink the next. Only a few schools can rely on reloading with Big Mac AAs every year. As for next season in BBal who can say. We don't know who's going and who we might get through the portal.

To answer the question, BBall will comeback first unless you're excited about being in the Screen and Storm Door Bowl.

Basketball and it's no contest. We have stunk in football for 20 years. Not just bad. Not just under achieved. Stunk. A lot of the football problems are systemic and not easily changed by any coach. There is no reason for SU to not be reasonably good in basketball every year.
What's your definition of reasonably good? For Syracuse we need to be challenging for the ACC title EVERY YEAR.

not only is Syracuse Basketball a middle of the pack "brand" they are downright boring to watch.

not only is Syracuse Basketball a middle of the pack "brand" they are downright boring to watch.

I think your definition of “brand” and everyone else’s are different.

We’ve been a middle of the pack program recently. There’s more to “brand” than that.

No but we need alot more than that. If we don't add a significant forward and a backup center we are in trouble. I think the football team can win 7 next year.
At the end of the day we are excited about coaching changes with the football team. We are still 11-24 over the last 3 years.

Our football program is about on the same level as the Pitt or BC basketball programs.

At the end of the day we are excited about coaching changes with the football team. We are still 11-24 over the last 3 years.

Our football program is about on the same level as the Pitt or BC basketball programs.
I'm not debating the past its dreadful. I look at the current rosters going forward. I think our offense has a chance to be really good and we can surprise some people. Now looking at the bball roster and I get its not a finished product but where are the points coming from next year?