Does anyone else think | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else think

That comment annoyed me as well. Who cares about the weather when you can go play for a National Powerhouse with a huge fanbase, in front of the biggest crowds in the country and practice in the best facilities in CBB.

Adios with that weak ish..

I agree with him about the weather, it generally sucks for 60% of the academic year and is mediocre for the remainder. If you think that Syracuse doesn't get more snow annually than Indiana and Kansas you need to check your almanac.

Syracuse 123.8"
Gainesville, FL 0.1"
Durham, NC 6.1"
Lexington, KY 13.1"
Bloomington, IN 16.1"
Lawrence, KS 10.6"
Columbus, OH 26.7"
Pittsburgh, Pa 41.4"
East Lansing, MI 51.1"

What's worse is that life in the snow in Syracuse probably has a reputation for being worse than it is, especially with those that are not accustomed to living with snow. But, if snow is at all distasteful to you, then it is most certainly a negative that must be overcome in the recruiting process and that was the only point he was trying to make.

I agree with him about the weather, it generally sucks for 60% of the academic year and is mediocre for the remainder. If you think that Syracuse doesn't get more snow annually than Indiana and Kansas you need to check your almanac.

Syracuse 123.8"
Gainesville, FL 0.1"
Durham, NC 6.1"
Lexington, KY 13.1"
Bloomington, IN 16.1"
Lawrence, KS 10.6"
Columbus, OH 26.7"
Pittsburgh, Pa 41.4"
East Lansing, MI 51.1"

What's worse is that life in the snow in Syracuse probably has a reputation for being worse than it is, especially with those that are not accustomed to living with snow. But, if snow is at all distasteful to you, then it is most certainly a negative that must be overcome in the recruiting process and that was the only point he was trying to make.
Please point out where I said Syracuse doesn't get more snow. I simply said Bloomington Indiana and Lawrence Kansas aren't known for their weather. They're nearly as cold in January, and, despite their lack of snow, it wouldn't surprise me if they had more wind. When was the last time you booked a vacation to either locale in January to enjoy their balmy temperatures? Snow isn't the only type of weather that exists. Kansas is known for tornadoes. That's exactly what I call a perfect weather recipe for a destination school.

He was reaching in an attempt to make a stupid point because he's from the south, and it's not even a point everyone shares. Do you have any idea how many people here in Tennessee think I was lucky to grow up with all of the snow because they think it looks so nice?

The weather is a negative.
But the fact is a recruit - and most students for that matter - will go to the school they think is the best fit.
If the weather and the relatively dumpy campus area were so important...then CJ Fair, Tyler Ennis and company would be playing at UCLA or Pepperdine.

the comment about Syracuse not being a destination school because of the weather is the dumbest thing said last night? Last time I checked, Indiana and Kansas were not known for their stellar winter weather. What a moron.
There are like 6 destination schools on earth. Fgcu, Hawaii, chaminade, Miami, princetons best party school that year, and best college chicks on campus that year.

Duh?

What's a "destination school" and whatever the reasons, how does anyone conclude that SU not one?

Weather Channel says storm warning up to 6 inches of snow or Weather Channel says storm warning possible tornadoes tonight.

Take your pick, Dorothy!
6 inches?

yao-ming-meme-rf_501729.jpg

You must not be from around here.

the comment about Syracuse not being a destination school because of the weather is the dumbest thing said last night? Last time I checked, Indiana and Kansas were not known for their stellar winter weather. What a moron.
It's lazy journalism. We all know what CNY in the winter is like. He could have expounded further and talked about all of JAB's accomplishements (which they did) but also talked about the great programs the school offers and the successful alumni that have graduated from SU. The thing is that it is a destination school for a lot of people. Sad part is that the play by play guy was a Cuse grad. That makes it inexcusable.

Let's talk about the weather when the mid west and the south are ravaged by tornadoes in April and May. Or maybe from late May to September when those wonderful parts of the country have many consecutive days of 90 degree + weather with high humidity.

I'll take upstate NY any day.

Syracuse 123.8"
Gainesville, FL 0.1"
Durham, NC 6.1"
Lexington, KY 13.1"
Bloomington, IN 16.1"
Lawrence, KS 10.6"
Columbus, OH 26.7"
Pittsburgh, Pa 41.4"
East Lansing, MI 51.1"

Winter isn't just about snow ...it's about COLD. Most of these other blue blood schools are in areas just as cold:

Average January High/Low Temperature

Syracuse, NY 31/16
Ann Arbor, MI 31/18
Columbus, OH 36/23
East Lansing, MI 30/17
Bloomington, IN 37/20
Lawrence, KS 39/18
Lexington, KY 41/25
Durham, NC 48/27

If a prospective college player doesn't go to Syracuse because of the weather, they're probably a huge p*ssy and not someone we'd really want anyway. Those are things that adults take into consideration when they're deciding where to settle. College kids going to school to play an indoor sport like basketball? Who cares? It's not like these kids are big outdoorsmen or something.

If a prospective college player doesn't go to Syracuse because of the weather, they're probably a huge p*ssy and not someone we'd really want anyway. Those are things that adults take into consideration when they're deciding where to settle. College kids going to school to play an indoor sport like basketball? Who cares? It's not like these kids are big outdoorsmen or something.

I agree, but it happens. I know of one particular recruit out of LI, different sport but highly rated out of HS. A friend of mine was close to this individual, and he strongly considered Syracuse but (allegedly) wanted better weather. He went south. The greatest irony, however, is that he is currently on the hill battling the elements. He transferred and is wearing orange.

The weather is a negative.
But the fact is a recruit - and most students for that matter - will go to the school they think is the best fit.
If the weather and the relatively dumpy campus area were so important...then CJ Fair, Tyler Ennis and company would be playing at UCLA or Pepperdine.
Didn't Boeheim playing this by "We only want guys that want to be here. If weather scares them away , we don't want them."
Or words to that effect.

Some of our fanbase needs to grow thicker skin. This was a throwaway comment made by a horrible announcer & former ACC homer in Corey Alexander- r we really gonna get hot & bothered over that? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom