Does Dungey start this Saturday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does Dungey start this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Dungey the best.

Regardless of what happens, his football career was going to be short lived.

Cuseguy makes the critical point here about Dungey's career at SU is very likely to be short-lived anyway.

Running has been key to his effectiveness. But he's a straight up runner without RB skills.

There's no way he plays three or four years doing what he is doing. He'll never be able stand the punishment over a longer period. It's like Robert Griffin in the NFL A higher level of contact but RGIII is also bigger, faster, and more agile.

If he were my son and he has had a second concussion, that would be it. I'd show him a video of Mohammed Ali trying to talk as many times as I had to to make the point to him. As a matter of fact, if he gets hit like he has been getting hit a few more times, I'd insist he stop even if there were no additional head injuries. It just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
It's not up to Shafer. It's up to the doctors. If he's cleared to play he will play. It'd be foolish for Shafer not too. Dungey will want to play if cleared. His family and friends will want him to play. The fans, well most of them, will want him to play. Why would you not play your starting QB who only lacks experience if the doctors have said he's good to go?

For one, we're playing Clemson and I think the kid has taken enough hard hits. I hope they sit him.

We are not winning this game.

It's not up to Shafer (Boeheim) It's up to the doctors (athletic department). If he's cleared to play he will play. It'd be foolish for Shafer (Boeheim) not too. Dungey (Fab Melo) will want to play if cleared. His family and friends will want him to play. The fans, well most of them, will want him to play. Why would you not play your starting QB (center) who only lacks experience if the doctors (athletic department) have said he's good to go?

If our coach didn't think we could come back from being down 31 points with 5 minutes left in a decided game this thread wouldn't exist. Too bad our coach left our starting QB in meaningless garbage time and he got hurt.

Can you Bees admit the decision to leave Dungey in the game was poor even without hindsight. Not many HC would leave their starting QBs in games down 31 on the road.

Stevenson said:
It's not up to Shafer (Boeheim) It's up to the doctors (athletic department). If he's cleared to play he will play. It'd be foolish for Shafer (Boeheim) not too. Dungey (Fab Melo) will want to play if cleared. His family and friends will want him to play. The fans, well most of them, will want him to play. Why would you not play your starting QB (center) who only lacks experience if the doctors (athletic department) have said he's good to go?

Don't get the attempt at a comparison. Are you trying to say the doctors will clear him to play even if he's injured or concussed?

Alsacs said:
If our coach didn't think we could come back from being down 31 points with 5 minutes left in a decided game this thread wouldn't exist. Too bad our coach left our starting QB in meaningless garbage time and he got hurt. Can you Bees admit the decision to leave Dungey in the game was poor even without hindsight. Not many HC would leave their starting QBs in games down 31 on the road.

As Lester has said, and others you don't know, he was out there to try to get some positive after a bad run. Everyone was fine with him having gone back in.

And I do not believe what Shafer said was meant as a comeback to victory.

And did you watch the bball game today? What did you think of JB putting all the starters back in up 50 with about 4:30 to play? Was it to get more work for them? Ditto Dungey.

bevosu said:
For one, we're playing Clemson and I think the kid has taken enough hard hits. I hope they sit him. We are not winning this game.

Don't think any coach would look at it that way.

This post is really something. If ED is hurt he will not play. Was it smart to leave him in the game no it wasnt. But lets not end the kids playing days we should leave that up to the Doctors.

does anybody on this board watch hockey. Hockey players take hits like ED takes every single game often times multiple hits like that each game. Getting a concussion is very rare. Im not saying that he hasnt had 20 of them but just because a player takes a hard hit doesnt mean that he has suffered a concussion. Syracuse has already ruled plenty of talented kids out for a variety of medical reasons. If ED is hurt he will not play. If not he should.

It's not up to Shafer. It's up to the doctors. If he's cleared to play he will play. It'd be foolish for Shafer not too. Dungey will want to play if cleared. His family and friends will want him to play. The fans, well most of them, will want him to play. Why would you not play your starting QB who only lacks experience if the doctors have said he's good to go?

At this point of the season, you could make an argument that would be like playing your starting QB down 41-10 with 4:30 left in the game.

not 100% the right answer, but def an argument. And even the head coach said with 20-20 hindsight he would have taken him out, even though he was cleared to play.

This post is really something. If ED is hurt he will not play. Was it smart to leave him in the game no it wasnt. But lets not end the kids playing days we should leave that up to the Doctors.

does anybody on this board watch hockey. Hockey players take hits like ED takes every single game often times multiple hits like that each game. Getting a concussion is very rare. Im not saying that he hasnt had 20 of them but just because a player takes a hard hit doesnt mean that he has suffered a concussion. Syracuse has already ruled plenty of talented kids out for a variety of medical reasons. If ED is hurt he will not play. If not he should.

whoa, bro... wth are you talking about? there is a difference between shutting him down for the season and ending his career.

As Lester has said, and others you don't know, he was out there to try to get some positive after a bad run. Everyone was fine with him having gone back in.

And did you watch the bball game today? What did you think of JB putting all the starters back in up 50 with about 4:30 to play? Was it to get more work for them? Ditto Dungey.
I asked would you have left him in.

I don't care about BB as JB has earned my trust. SS has not earned my trust and I highly doubt many HCs in the country would have let their starting QBs in the game down 31 points with 5 minutes left.

SS exact quote "The reason I kept Eric in the game is because we were fighting to see if we could go down the field and see if we couldn't get a couple more touchdowns and try to make it a great comeback situation. I feel horrible that he got hit. If I had 20-20 hindsight, I would've taken him out the play before that or something, but I don't. I feel bad about that. Hopefully he'll be ok.”
So yeah he said he left him in to try and make the game a comeback situation.

In basketball you don't have numerous players get injured each and every game. Football is a violent sport. We're talking about a player who has the ball in his hands more than anyone. A player who has a history of taking big hits, including to the head. A player who should not have been in the game at that juncture.

Alsacs said:
I asked would you have left him in. I don't care about BB as JB has earned my trust. SS has not earned my trust and I highly doubt many HCs in the country would have let their starting QBs in the game down 31 points with 5 minutes left. SS exact quote "The reason I kept Eric in the game is because we were fighting to see if we could go down the field and see if we couldn't get a couple more touchdowns and try to make it a great comeback situation. I feel horrible that he got hit. If I had 20-20 hindsight, I would've taken him out the play before that or something, but I don't. I feel bad about that. Hopefully he'll be ok.” So yeah he said he left him in to try and make the game a comeback situation.

How many times does it have to be said that he didn't say comeback to win? Lester explained it. Stop being a word lawyer. He wanted Dungey to have some positive success. And putting some points on the board would do that. And a couple more touchdowns, as Shafer called it, would not result in a comeback and win. Even the 20-20 is taken out of context by some of you. He said the play before. Meaning if he had a crystal ball that showed the play he'd get hurt he'd have taken him out the exact play before. Not that he wouldn't have put him in.

Toga said:
In basketball you don't have numerous players get injured each and every game. Football is a violent sport. We're talking about a player who has the ball in his hands more than anyone. A player who has a history of taking big hits, including to the head. A player who should not have been in the game at that juncture.

Well injuries do happen in basketball too. Just last year we lost a big cog to an ACL tear. Would you be so flip about it if G or DC had torn their ACL in a 50 point game?

How many times does it have to be said that he didn't say comeback to win? Lester explained it. Stop being a word lawyer. He wanted Dungey to have some positive success. And putting some points on the board would do that. And a couple more touchdowns, as Shafer called it, would not result in a comeback and win. Even the 20-20 is taken out of context by some of you. He said the play before. Meaning if he had a crystal ball that showed the play he'd get hurt he'd have taken him out the exact play before. Not that he wouldn't have put him in.
You are just so much smarter than me. I mean wow. The keep SS people are just as bad as the people who want change.

I just hope Coyle realizes we need change not more of the same.

Alsacs said:
You are just so much smarter than me. I mean wow. The keep SS people are just as bad as the people who want change. I just hope Coyle realizes we need change not more of the same.

I can read is all.

Well injuries do happen in basketball too. Just last year we lost a big cog to an ACL tear. Would you be so flip about it if G or DC had torn their ACL in a 50 point game?
In basketball you don't have numerous players get injured each and every game. Football is a violent sport.

Toga said:
In basketball you don't have numerous players get injured each and every game. Football is a violent sport.

Numerous players don't get hurt each and every game in football either that would end their season.

just stop

You are just so much smarter than me. I mean wow. The keep SS people are just as bad as the people who want change.

I just hope Coyle realizes we need change not more of the same.
be prepared for years of posts from bees going against the grain after the obvious change gets made

Millhouse said:
be prepared for years of posts from bees going against the grain after the obvious change gets made

This coming from the guy who has wanted the ouster of every coach we've had going back as far as I can remember which was P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom