Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

When you're making millions none of that stuff matters, he's a in a bubble just like Saban and their donor class is.
I hear you Bayside, just challenging Alabama is some paradise. As stated 3.2 mm is nothing. At least you inquire and make Alabama increase Oats with an offer of our own. If we lose, at least we lose on trying to bring in a program changer. You don't not try.

Yeah Oats ain’t coming…and you know he’s at Bama right? They have the biggest checkbook in the nation
For Football

Yes, what’s your point?
First off, the racial makeup with our roster doesn’t scream “black culture and history”, secondly Syracuse’s on campus track record when it comes to race isn’t something to tout, #notagainSU

Since no one answered my question.

1641326430973.png

I don't believe this includes state income taxes.

NYS Income taxes for JB's bracket - (just on salary - $305,932 in NYS taxes)

1641326525173.png

Alabama state taxes -

1641326639727.png

People need to let Nate Oats go.
He isn’t coming here.

We can get a good coach but we aren’t getting Oats and it’s not happening.

Alabama is a good job for him he doesn’t have to go to the Final Four and that fanbase is happy as long as they are competitive and make the tournament each year and kill time between Football and spring football.

I hear you Bayside, just challenging Alabama is some paradise. As stated 3.2 mm is nothing. At least you inquire and make Alabama increase Oats with an offer of our own. If we lose, at least we lose on trying to bring in a program changer. You don't not try.

To get a guy like that to leave we would have to come in a mil higher, or something along those lines. And they would likely match it.

It's why I think it's going to be internal / local at first, and if that person flops then maybe a route like this.

This isn’t true. There's plenty of northern schools that are successful right now. Providence is 13-1 ffs and they have nothing of anything.

The two best conferences this year are in the north. BE and Big 10.
What specifically isn't true? Not being snarky at all. I said more and more of the best bball talent is down south. It's still early, but I count 5 SEC schools and 4 Texas schools in KenPom's top 20 currently. Villanova's the only school from the NE. I agree there's plenty of talent in the NE, but we're not getting it. I think we can get a great coach and become an elite program again, but the balance of power in the sport is shifting. No debate about the B10 being one of the best conferences, but it's a midwestern conference. I tend to think college bball is trending like college football.

What specifically isn't true? Not being snarky at all. I said more and more of the best bball talent is down south. It's still early, but I count 5 SEC schools and 4 Texas schools in KenPom's top 20 currently. Villanova's the only school from the NE. I agree there's plenty of talent in the NE, but we're not getting it. I think we can get a great coach and become an elite program again, but the balance of power in the sport is shifting. No debate about the B10 being one of the best conferences, but it's a midwestern conference. I tend to think college bball is trending like college football.
I looked at conference strength. I wasn’t looking at specific rankings. There’s arguments to be made for both the SEC and BE.

The ACC stinks and is going through a transition right now and I think that’s the biggest reason it’s struggling. This stuff tends to be cyclical. In the late 90’s everyone was calling the Big East the Big Least due to lack of tournament success and then Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, West Virginia and Nova all got really good at the same time and the conference was the best until realignment.

I really don’t like focusing on regions as much as I do schools and who they hire. This isn’t football. You can win anywhere. That’s been proven over the years.

I looked at conference strength. I wasn’t looking at specific rankings. There’s arguments to be made for both the SEC and BE.

The ACC stinks and is going through a transition right now and I think that’s the biggest reason it’s struggling. This stuff tends to be cyclical. In the late 90’s everyone was calling the Big East the Big Least due to lack of tournament success and then Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, West Virginia and Nova all got really good at the same time and the conference was the best until realignment.

I really don’t like focusing on regions as much as I do schools and who they hire. This isn’t football. You can win anywhere. That’s been proven over the years.
Thanks. I agree wholeheartedly you can win anywhere in college bball. I just think it's getting harder w/ the B10 and SEC getting stronger.

I have no idea how this will play out, but I am certain that HC compensation will not be an issue.
For the kind of coach we want. Look at a guy like Chris Beard. Probably the age and caliber
Of a coach that we might think could coach at SU. He got a 7 year, 35mm deal. I don’t think we are anywhere near that.

No, it isn't. The Dome. Attendance. Big budget. We are one of the biggest earning programs in the NCAA. We are in a recruiting hotbed, the NYC to DC corridor. This program will be fine. Need I remind you that Roy Danforth once made a Final Four at this school?
Roy Danforth was like 60 years ago. That’s irrelevant. Any coach worth his salt is going to want a HUGE contract AND assurance that the Univ has everything lined up on the NIL/payment side.

People might be in denial about Oats coming here, but I disagree with the rest.

Coaching is an ego-driven profession. Any proven head coach worthy of landing at a program with our tradition will look at the foundational pieces of the puzzle -- the biggest hoops arena in college basketball, the Melo center, the ACC, the rabid fanbase that travels well, the opportunity to be on TV 25+ times every season -- and believe that they can leverage these advantages to get things back on track quickly.

Financials will NOT be an issue.

If a candidate is worried about following a legend, then we don't want them.

The only -- and I mean ONLY -- way there will be an internal hire first is if JB retires unexpectedly at the 11th hour, handcuffing the AD. In which case, said internal hire will be slapped with the "interim" label, and summarily replaced when the AD has time to do due diligence.
Other than Oats, I’ve never really heard anyone identify who outside guys might be. We can ATD. But there’s a lot of pipe dreaming going on here. And NIL changes the game completely. If schools aren’t committed to getting players paid, the coaches will not be on board.

What are the negatives? Let's hear your list...
Well I gave you the big two. The other big one I see is the schools commitment to getting players comped. That’s a huge bill and a huge advantage for the state schools and monster booster bases.

Why so fatalistic, AZ? You really think we’re just going to be resigned to mediocrity and worse going forward? I see two small northeast programs that we dominated for decades, Seton Hall and Providence, in the top 25. Come on, man. You don’t think a program of our stature and with our resources can compete with those tiny programs? There are plenty of recruits and good players to go around. You just need a good coach and staff to bring them in, construct a competitive and cohesive roster, and coach them up.
“You just need a good coach.” That’s the whole point. And getting that here today is not the same as it was 10-15 years ago. We are not the same school. And the entire landscape has changed.

Finding a good coach is going to be a big challenge.

When you're making millions none of that stuff matters, he's a in a bubble just like Saban and their donor class is.
Yeah and his next contract will make that bubble bigger

Conference strength generally follows coaching strength IMO. A bunch of no names in the ACC and a few really old guys near the end.

Well I gave you the big two. The other big one I see is the schools commitment to getting players comped. That’s a huge bill and a huge advantage for the state schools and monster booster bases.

So, your negatives list as to why we can't land a good Tier 1 coach is:

1. Compensation: You think we can't/won't pay market rate for Tier 1 coach
2. Legacy: Good Tier 1 coaches will not want to follow the longest-tenured HOF coach in history
3. NIL: Good Tier 1 coaches will not come to a private university that will not / can not seed NIL opportunities with recruits/players like Anystate U with huge money and bosters can.

Other than Oats, I’ve never really heard anyone identify who outside guys might be. We can ATD. But there’s a lot of pipe dreaming going on here. And NIL changes the game completely. If schools aren’t committed to getting players paid, the coaches will not be on board.

Why would anyone put any stock in lists of candidates generated on a bulletin board? Posters might accidentally guess some candidates right, but would be clueless about other viable options.

And by "other viable options," I'm not talking about a celebrity wish list of who's who -- I'm talking about established coaches from other levels [G5, 1AA, etc.] that 99.9% of the posters probably have never heard of.

Timing will be a factor, as well. Nobody knows when JB is going to eventually step down [or worst case, be "coaxed" into retirement]. Coaches that have homes today aren't going to come forward to express public interest about a job vacancy that isn't open.

We also don't know what other programs -- if any -- we'll be competing against when our position opens up. That could work in our favor, if we are the most attractive program open when the time comes -- or potentially work against us, if several other high profile jobs are simultaneously looking to fill vacancies.

I'm also highly confident that JW is maintaining a list, that is probably constantly fluid, based upon the changing dynamics of the profession, people taking different jobs, etc. And that said list will be further refined with external input from the proper industry channels when the time comes.

As for NIL -- times have changed, you are correct. And it's time for our program to get with the times to avoid being left behind. Roy Williams retired rather than having to deal with it. If we aren't going to actualize the potential for prospective recruits from an NIL standpoint, then things will continue to slip until we bring somebody in from outside the current program who WILL.

So, your negatives list as to why we can't land a good Tier 1 coach is:

1. Compensation: You think we can't/won't pay market rate for Tier 1 coach
2. Legacy: Good Tier 1 coaches will not want to follow the longest-tenured HOF coach in history
3. NIL: Good Tier 1 coaches will not come to a private university that will not / can not seed NIL opportunities with recruits/players like Anystate U with huge money and bosters can.
I think those will be big factors. I think there might be others like location etc but these are my main 3.

Conference strength generally follows coaching strength IMO. A bunch of no names in the ACC and a few really old guys near the end.
That was exactly my point.

Why would anyone put any stock in lists of candidates generated on a bulletin board? Posters might accidentally guess some candidates right, but would be clueless about other viable options.

And by "other viable options," I'm not talking about a celebrity wish list of who's who -- I'm talking about established coaches from other levels [G5, 1AA, etc.] that 99.9% of the posters probably have never heard of.

Timing will be a factor, as well. Nobody knows when JB is going to eventually step down [or worst case, be "coaxed" into retirement]. Coaches that have homes today aren't going to come forward to express public interest about a job vacancy that isn't open.

We also don't know what other programs -- if any -- we'll be competing against when our position opens up. That could work in our favor, if we are the most attractive program open when the time comes -- or potentially work against us, if several other high profile jobs are simultaneously looking to fill vacancies.

I'm also highly confident that JW is maintaining a list, that is probably constantly fluid, based upon the changing dynamics of the profession, people taking different jobs, etc. And that said list will be further refined with external input from the proper industry channels when the time comes.

As for NIL -- times have changed, you are correct. And it's time for our program to get with the times to avoid being left behind. Roy Williams retired rather than having to deal with it. If we aren't going to actualize the potential for prospective recruits from an NIL standpoint, then things will continue to slip until we bring somebody in from outside the current program who WILL.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply. But I thought we considered ourselves a top 10-ish program that would land an established Tier 1 coach who is coaching at this level now? If we are looking at G5 candidates or people most have never heard of….well I think that’s kind of my point. We might get lucky and get a very good coach on our next hire. But it might not exactly be the guy we think it should be when we hire

For the kind of coach we want. Look at a guy like Chris Beard. Probably the age and caliber
Of a coach that we might think could coach at SU. He got a 7 year, 35mm deal. I don’t think we are anywhere near that.
I don't see SU setting the top of the market for HC salaries. But I have no doubt that JW understands the value AND the need to be competitive should SU choose to go after an established name or an up and coming young HC. This is his wheelhouse. One step further... if the university chooses to hire internally I do not believe that salary will be the primary driving factor behind that decision.

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. But I thought we considered ourselves a top 10-ish program that would land an established Tier 1 coach who is coaching at this level now? If we are looking at G5 candidates or people most have never heard of….well I think that’s kind of my point. We might get lucky and get a very good coach on our next hire. But it might not exactly be the guy we think it should be when we hire

I don't agree with your interpretation. Every level has rising stars who are on the way up. Brad Stevens was a nobody... until he wasn't -- then, he became a highly coveted commodity that every program would have killed to hire.

I'm not suggesting that we are going to "settle" for some unknown low level coach because of financial limitations, in case anyone wants to spin it that way. Just because JB has not sought top dollar doesn't mean that the University doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pay market value.

But when this job opens up, I think it is going to be a lot more highly in demand that you project. And we're going to see a lot of names that our bulletin board isn't focusing on today -- and some will be more high profile than others.

Will be interesting to see how the dust settles and which names emerge after the AD does due diligence to identify the best candidates from outside the program. I'm guessing that the fanbase will be a lot more jazzed about which names emerge than they are about the candidates with ties to the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom