Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

Jim Boeheim has pulled in some great players but I think of the course of his career Oats will pull in more talent. I’m not trying to argue I just think not reaching out to this guy is crazy. He would have us ranked every year that in itself should be a reason to ask. If he says no so be it, but have gauge his interest or any other top coach imo.
thats a fact, agree with everything u said but there are plenty of good coaches out there.

Right but I believe we will have to pony up the dough and JW will.

Oh, he absolutely will.

Because it’s a no-brainer to do so.

We’re in the ACC, not the MEAC.
We have ACC $ to spend.
We’ve been getting a hometown discount from JB for decades - time to deploy those savings now.
We’re a Top 10 program all time.
We have the largest on campus facility in the country.
We have a National following, and our fans travel extremely well.

The only thing we don’t have right at the moment, is consistent Top 25 talent and results.

But those will come again, if you make the right hire.
For which we will pay the going market rates.

TBH I don't care what they act like as long as they win games lol

I think personality helps with the recruiting. It was Hop's super-power - really funny and relatable.

Oh, he absolutely will.

Because it’s a no-brainer to do so.

We’re in the ACC, not the MEAC.
We have ACC $ to spend.
We’ve been getting a hometown discount from JB for decades - time to deploy those savings now.
We’re a Top 10 program all time.
We have the largest on campus facility in the country.
We have a National following, and our fans travel extremely well.

The only thing we don’t have right at the moment, is consistent Top 25 talent and results.

But those will come again, if you make the right hire.
For which we will pay the going market rates.

I like that this point of view seems to be gaining a little traction over the 'Give it to Gerry' crowd.

Alumni time to step in. Need to apply pressure

What do you think that Etan Thomas and other players' critique of recent coaching decisions was?

Time to clean house. All new coaches. Start over. I hope he announces this is his last year tonight and the search begins.

It's going to be either on senior night, or after their last game this season. That's what I believe.

Ooc… why now vs after the Colgate debacle? That was a much worse loss in my opinion
You chalk that up to a W T F moment.

The evidence is growing though.

This season embodies the term "loveless marriage." One year too long sticking around for the kids when it should've gone out on good terms. For all JB has done, would truly hate to see this get messy and not leave on his own power after this season. Don't foresee Wildhack being the one to push his hand, IMO, think this thing will run until the wheels fall off, however long it is.

This season embodies the term "loveless marriage." One year too long sticking around for the kids when it should've gone out on good terms. For all JB has done, would truly hate to see this get messy and not leave on his own power after this season. Don't foresee Wildhack being the one to push his hand, IMO, think this thing will run until the wheels fall off, however long it is.
The wheels are falling off.

Alumni time to step in. Need to apply pressure

Surprised Thamel isn't on this story. I would imagine we'll get some stories in the national press if the downward trend continues.

10 pages but no one’s gonna top the comment that Roy Danforth went to a Final Four here in *squints*

…1975.

There’s players on this current team who were born after Syracuse won the NC in ‘03 if you needed to feel old today.

The problem going with "the hot guy" approach is that people pay guys way too much money based on a couple good weeks outperforming expectations at the tournament.

We want someone who is at a P5, is under 45 years old, has coached at a couple places, and is on the rise in his current job. Also, obviously, needs East Coast AAU, Prep and HS ties.

Edit: What schools would you look at for a future coach for us? Historically, Xavier, Dayton, one of the Philly colleges, a Big East coach, or one of the smaller East Coast leagues (I'm not even sure what the better ones are called anymore ...).

What P5 coaches (or programs) would consider Syracuse a step up, assuming money was right?

By this, for example, I mean that somebody coaching at the top six of the ACC is not likely to come here, but let's say Josh Pattner suddenly had a good run at Georgia Tech, would he consider coming here (not saying we would want him, but ...)?

Would he see SU as a step up?

Buzz Williams, I think, would love to coach here. Who else carries the torch for us?

I like Mick Cronin, if it doesn't work out for him at UCLA, or Chris Mack, if his suspension at Louisville means they feel pressure to dump him.
Why does “under 45 years old” matter?

We’re not going to hire the next Boeheim….a guy who is here for FORTY FIVE years and wins over 1000 games. Not happening. Age is meaningless as long as the guy is like under 65.

Just hire a really good coach who will get the program on track. Doesn’t have to be perfect. Just friggin recruit and coach and win games. Jack the best P5 school coach that we can, even if he’s 60 for all I care. Doesn’t have to be some up and coming “hot shot” with a coiff or some “generic under armour guy”(c) ottomets.

A small indication of how the Syracuse job is perceived by outsiders. If you’re basketball person, you understand how good of a job Syracuse is. This is from a comprehensive article on a Big Ten SB Nation site discussing the open Maryland coaching job and where it stands. They clearly consider Syracuse in the second tier (first tier: UK, UNC, Duke and Kansas) of top basketball programs, so top 10-15 overall. Wildhack shouldn’t have a problem attracting really good candidates for the job.
6FF8BEF5-2ADF-4006-A7A2-EB537CCD8235.jpeg

A small indication of how the Syracuse job is perceived by outsiders. If you’re basketball person, you understand how good of a job Syracuse is. This is from a comprehensive article on a Big Ten SB Nation site discussing the open Maryland coaching job and where it stands. They clearly consider Syracuse in the second tier (first tier: UK, UNC, Duke and Kansas) of top basketball programs, so top 10-15 overall. Wildhack shouldn’t have a problem attracting really good candidates for the job. View attachment 212621

I know it’s a B1G site, but - Purdue doesn’t rate with Mich, Sparty, tOSU & Wisky.
I’m not sure Indiana does anymore at this point too, despite their history.

And UConn?? Please.

Yes, I get it - 4 Natty’s.
All with Calhoun or his players.
He ain’t walking thru that door.

(Except to maybe watch a game from the stands)

I know it’s a B1G site, but - Purdue doesn’t rate with Mich, Sparty, tOSU & Wisky.

And UConn?? Please.

Agreed on Purdue. But if you dismiss those other programs because of history (Indiana, UConn, etc.), then you need to dismiss Syracuse as well. UCLA won their championships 50 years ago with Wooden, and they’re still considered a blue blood. I hate UConn just as much as most on this board, but they have 4 national championships and a rich tradition thanks to Calhoun and the Big East. They deserve to be on that second tier for sure.

Ooc… why now vs after the Colgate debacle? That was a much worse loss in my opinion

Well, because at that time, JB still had a smidgen of credibility in regards to the malarkey he spews nowadays. You remember, "the best 3 point shooting team we'll face this season" type garb. There was probably a large JB grouping who ate that right up...however, some of them folks today may be getting some serious cases of Agita right now. :)

Agreed on Purdue. But if you dismiss those other programs because of history (Indiana, UConn, etc.), then you need to dismiss Syracuse as well. UCLA won their championships 50 years ago with Wooden, and they’re still considered a blue blood. I hate UConn just as much as most on this board, but they have 4 national championships and a rich tradition thanks to Calhoun and the Big East. They deserve to be on that second tier for sure.

100%!!!

You can't simply dismiss that fact. I mean, good grief, they've won 3 natties since we won our rogue championship. 'Nova has 3 titles! I believe most unbiased (non-orange colored glassed) basketball fans would probable conclude these are better programs than ours. Certainly, over the last decade plus or so.

100%!!!

You can't simply dismiss that fact. I mean, good grief, they've won 3 natties since we won our rogue championship. 'Nova has 3 titles! I believe most unbiased (non-orange colored glassed) basketball fans would probable conclude these are better programs than ours. Certainly, over the last decade plus or so.
I can just picture fans heads exploding from going back and forth with “only March matters” and “we’re better than Nova and UConn, UConn’s titles don’t count”; which then goes to “well we have ACC money”. Our fan base is kind of annoying.

And UConn?? Please.

Disagree on Indiana. This is about the resources and potential of the basketball programs/jobs, not necessarily the current coach. Yes, Purdue lacks historical NCAA tourney success (Final Fours and championships), but they’ve been consistently good to great in the regular season for a long time, for a vast majority of the Gene Keady and Matt Painter eras. They’ve won 24 Big Ten championships, the most all time. Their problem has been NCAA tourney failures. But I think Painter is on the brink. They were in the Elite Eight two tourneys ago with Carson Edwards and had UVA on the ropes. A Final Four breakthrough is inevitable. And Hurley is recruiting better than JB and our staff right now and UConn is a top 25 team this season. Yes, they might not be the power they were under Calhoun, but they should be very consistent going forward in the Big East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom