Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

Alabama is a strange place. Its coyote ugly the weather is horrible. Why any black athlete would actually consider going to the University of Alabama is beyond me. Racism is in the chip there and will be for generations to come.
I know this is a strong post but if you spend any real non tourist time in the state you will understand.
Having posted this i dont think there is any chance that Oats is the next SU coach. As to Alabama i find the entire state scary strange.
Around 25yrs ago, drove thru Alabama S to N.
Southern 2/3 or so appeared to confirm what I expected: not great.
Then the northern 1/3 surprised me -could have been in upstate NY. Rolling hills/forested, nice.
Huntsville area in particular appeared to be thriving.
That trip didn't make me an Alabama Expert, but gained some perspective.

Musselman is in his 50s and just signed a contract extension worth $4m a year. However, his buyout drops from $7.5m to $2m at the end of this season. The next contract will put him in the top-5 paid coaches probably.

Instead of hiring Oats or Beard we need to find the next Oats or Beard. There's not a soul here who knew who these guys were just 4 years ago.
While I agree with the sentiment, it's a dangerous game projecting coaches. If Cuse hired post-VCU Shaka right now it would've seemed like a no-doubt homerun. Few years later he's at middling Marquette. I'm more in the camp of a P5 coach on the rise, much like Muss who is looking to join ranks of Oats and Beard (who are not leaving).

Instead of hiring Oats or Beard we need to find the next Oats or Beard. There's not a soul here who knew who these guys were just 4 years ago.
Well that’s not true. But let’s assume it is. And let’s assume JB hangs it up this year. Who is the next Oats or Beard? You don’t have to give me names but give me the approximate level of coaching. Beard was HC at TT from 2016 until he got his big score at UT. Oats was at Buffalo starting in 2015 before he got his big score.

Well that’s not true. But let’s assume it is. And let’s assume JB hangs it up this year. Who is the next Oats or Beard? You don’t have to give me names but give me the approximate level of coaching. Beard was HC at TT from 2016 until he got his big score at UT. Oats was at Buffalo starting in 2015 before he got his big score.

Without too much looking into things I think Niko Medved from Colorado State could be one of those guys. Has improved every program he has been to and has Colorado State undefeated and in the top 20. Like I said I would have to look more into him and see but his name jumped out after your question.

Without too much looking into things I think Niko Medved from Colorado State could be one of those guys. Has improved every program he has been to and has Colorado State undefeated and in the top 20. Like I said I would have to look more into him and see but his name jumped out after your question.
Great example. And again I think this is exactly my point and the type of candidate we will go after (and get). Not having a headliner is just a reality and not necessarily a bad thing.

I know when they were there. It still took until 2017 for Beard to have a good team. So 5 years ago? My math was a bit off.

Oats didn't have his first great team in Buffalo until 2017-18. And they didn't beat us until the next season. That's when this place really became enthralled by him.

If I had to look right now I think the next crop of up and coming coaches includes Matt McMahon, Travis Steele and Todd Golden. They are all going to get looks by high major programs. I'd take McMahon or Golden in a heartbeat.

Jeff Boals is another guy worth a look. He replaced Pikiell at Stony Brook and is now at Ohio.

I know when they were there. It still took until 2017 for Beard to have a good team. So 5 years ago? My math was a bit off.

Oats didn't have his first great team in Buffalo until 2017-18. And they didn't beat us until the next season. That's when this place really became enthralled by him.

If I had to look right now I think the next crop of up and coming coaches includes Matt McMahon, Travis Steele and Todd Golden. They are all going to get looks by high major programs. I'd take McMahon or Golden in a heartbeat.
(Todd) Golden Ticket. If there is one, this is it. Similar to how people viewed Brad Stevens as one of the sharpest emerging minds in the game, before the Butler runs. If Cuse were to "reach" this is the one I would fully back.

And think of the puns!

(Todd) Golden Ticket. If there is one, this is it. Similar to how people viewed Brad Stevens as one of the sharpest emerging minds in the game, before the Butler runs. If Cuse were to "reach" this is the one I would fully back.

And think of the puns!
I think he's going to be great. I also think he probably gets a Power 5 job next season.

No place in the country can provide a better venue for talented kids to play, in front of more fanatical humans than SU. I don't believe it will be a tough transition for a charismatic coach to make. Good players can be attracted to SU. I feel the same way about good coaches. This is a place good coaches will want to be.

I have no idea whether the timing would work out for somebody like Donovan, but given his NYC roots and outstanding success at the collegiate level, that would be a home run.

Or, we could just hire GMac.
Im back home and last night had dinner with my friend who is tight with the program.
Golfs with JB. For what its worth he said the weitz is a big Gmac fan.

I think there is one maybe two serious candidates on the list

Buzz Williams? I kind of like his personality. I like that his teams play hard. Not a "wow", but better than a nobody.

The problem going with "the hot guy" approach is that people pay guys way too much money based on a couple good weeks outperforming expectations at the tournament.

We want someone who is at a P5, is under 45 years old, has coached at a couple places, and is on the rise in his current job. Also, obviously, needs East Coast AAU, Prep and HS ties.

Edit: What schools would you look at for a future coach for us? Historically, Xavier, Dayton, one of the Philly colleges, a Big East coach, or one of the smaller East Coast leagues (I'm not even sure what the better ones are called anymore ...).

What P5 coaches (or programs) would consider Syracuse a step up, assuming money was right?

By this, for example, I mean that somebody coaching at the top six of the ACC is not likely to come here, but let's say Josh Pattner suddenly had a good run at Georgia Tech, would he consider coming here (not saying we would want him, but ...)?

Would he see SU as a step up?

Buzz Williams, I think, would love to coach here. Who else carries the torch for us?

I like Mick Cronin, if it doesn't work out for him at UCLA, or Chris Mack, if his suspension at Louisville means they feel pressure to dump him.

Last edited:

If I had to look right now I think the next crop of up and coming coaches includes Matt McMahon, Travis Steele and Todd Golden. They are all going to get looks by high major programs. I'd take McMahon or Golden in a heartbeat

If I was betting on “one” guy from outside the program, Steele would be my pick hands down

Buzz Williams? I kind of like his personality. I like that his teams play hard. Not a "wow", but better than a nobody.
His teams also had a toughness to them that this program has been lacking which speaks to the culture in the program
He could get his teams at Marquette and Vtech to beat Cuse

My only concern is does Buzz put us on a treadmill? Will he bring in enough talent to make us elite? If I am not mistaken he hasn't really been known to bring in top-end talent more than his teams play hard with less talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom