Does Syracuse Trail Every ACC School in Sports Nutrition? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Does Syracuse Trail Every ACC School in Sports Nutrition?

Tori Brown, Director of Sports Nutrition for The Syracuse Football Program knows her job.

If you watch the video above, you will see every player carrying a gallon jug of water with their names and the times that they should be finished drinking on the side of the jug from 8 AM – 9 PM to stay hydrated.

This will allow players a better practice, game, prevent cramping and injury AND she is monitoring them with a clipboard and taking names. You don’t bring your bottle you go get it or you don’t eat.

It’s great to see, finally, that we have a nutrition program in place and someone who is making a difference for our football program. Garret Shrader is in the video, no cast, looking good.

Thank you Emily!

Tori Brown, Director of Sports Nutrition for The Syracuse Football Program knows her job.

If you watch the video above, you will see every player carrying a gallon jug of water with their names and the times that they should be finished drinking on the side of the jug from 8 AM – 9 PM to stay hydrated.

This will allow players a better practice, game, prevent cramping and injury AND she is monitoring them with a clipboard and taking names. You don’t bring your bottle you go get it or you don’t eat.

It’s great to see, finally, that we have a nutrition program in place and someone who is making a difference for our football program. Garret Shrader is in the video, no cast, looking good.

Thank you Emily!

Maybe this will finally help cut down on injuries.

Hydration doesn’t prevent ACL tears.

Who's to say? Hydration keeps the muscles more pliable and able to recover. Torque on the knee comes from many sources - the turf, the footwear, any impact from other bodies in motion, and the strength and flexibility of the muscles supporting the joint.

Can dehydration cause ACL tear? As well, when you're dehydrated, your soft tissue stiffens and you begin to lack energy and focus — the perfect recipe for injury. Even with these prevention techniques, [B]ACL injuries can, and do, occur[/B].

I had a knee injury when I was a young athlete that was initially diagnosed as an ACL tear. The MRI was inconclusive. The doctor was anticipating reconstruction with cadaver tissue, but it turned out that the ACL was still intact, just a bit frayed. They trimmed the frayed parts and cleaned out my meniscus, which has a half dozen small tears.

I had had two opinions prior to surgery. One doctor said definitely an ACL tear, but the other wasn't so sure. The strength of my muscles around the joint (as a college distance runner) made it hard for them to determine the structural integrity of the joint. Of course, this was 35-40 years ago, and diagnostic and imaging technology has come a long way since then.

Last edited:
Who's to say? Hydration keeps the muscles more pliable and able to recover. Torque on the knee comes from many sources - the turf, the footwear, any impact from other bodies in motion, and the strength and flexibility of the muscles supporting the joint.

Can dehydration cause ACL tear? As well, when you're dehydrated, your soft tissue stiffens and you begin to lack energy and focus — the perfect recipe for injury. Even with these prevention techniques, [B]ACL injuries can, and do, occur[/B].

I had a knee injury when I was a young athlete that was initially diagnosed as an ACL tear. The MRI was inconclusive. The doctor was anticipating reconstruction with cadaver tissue, but it turned out that the ACL was still intact, just a bit frayed. They trimmed the frayed parts and cleaned out my meniscus, which has a half dozen small tears.

I had had two opinions prior to surgery. One doctor said definitely an ACL tear, but the other wasn't so sure. The strength of my muscles around the joint (as a college distance runner) made it hard for them to determine the structural integrity of the joint. Of course, this was 35-40 years ago, and diagnostic and imaging technology has come a long way since then.
I think now they refrain from trimming the frayed parts and try to suture the meniscus. It helps to keep the knee from becoming bone on bone later in life.

I know it was a cute story and a nice plug for a local business, but the fact that our basketball players each inhaled their own entire pizza after each home game is probably not the gold standard of athletic nutrition.

I think now they refrain from trimming the frayed parts and try to suture the meniscus. It helps to keep the knee from becoming bone on bone later in life.

The creepy thing was that I woke up on the table in the middle of the surgery. They were a little startled, but then they turned the monitor toward me, and I could see the frays on my meniscus in black-and-white, and it looked a little like the comb of a rooster. They turned the gas back up and back to sleep I went.