Dolezaj... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dolezaj...

Dolezaj looked like an all ACC team performer today. He is more than a glue guy at this point. He makes everyone better around him including Sidibe. Bourama has benefitted a great deal from the playmaking of Marek.

It was unthinkable we were a tourney team not that long ago. Now , when you see the individual talent and ability of Marek , Eli and Buddy it almost seems a shame if they don't get that chance this year. It's an uphill battle but Marek's improvement makes it a real possibility given the mismatch he creates.
Unfortunately the defense leaves very little margin for error. Pitt got really comfortable attacking the zone in the second half.

Marek has transformed his game as he’s taking advantage of the space around him (having 3 shooters sure helps), his length going over shorter defenders and hitting the glass, and by slowing his game down. He’s not forcing much and is taking advantage of any crack he sees.

But mostly, I think his body and skills are catching up to his basketball mind. He’ll never be big and strong but he seems to have the wiry strength and has learned to fight through contact. Been a beautiful transformation.

Senior year Marek needs to grow a mullet and full mustache.

Hmmm ...

tenor.gif

MD played PG when he was younger. He has a great understanding of the game and knows how to read the floor. He does not "think" about who to pass the ball to, he knows who to pass the ball to. Now that he is adding his aggressive game around the rim, he makes himself that much more valuable. Most big guys cannot dribble, Marek can go coast to coast. He knows to fill in the flanks, rather, to take advantage of opportunities and JB seems to encourage it.

I would like to seek him add weight, especially if he wants to go pro, but he certainly has talent.

Unfortunately the defense leaves very little margin for error. Pitt got really comfortable attacking the zone in the second half.

Pitt made some difficult shots and executed down the stretch. I wouldn't say they got comfortable. Also, Sidibe gave them fits inside until foul trouble of which some calls were head scratchers. Gotta give credit to Pitt sticking with and making some tough shots. They also are a very good offensive rebounding team and used that late as well.

Pitt made some difficult shots and executed down the stretch. I wouldn't say they got comfortable. Also, Sidibe gave them fits inside until foul trouble of which some calls were head scratchers. Gotta give credit to Pitt sticking with and making some tough shots. They also are a very good offensive rebounding team and used that late as well.

Good offensive rebounding will always give a zone D trouble, because you're always outnumbered. And if you box one guy out, another gets a bunny. Sidibe needs (based on the 3 games I've seen) to learn to pick his moments better. Seems he just reacts, and gets dumb fouls trying to block shots he can't get to. I mean you can block some shots, but you can't block 'em all. I also seem him "ball watching" and gets himself into poor position that way. He just needs experience.

Last edited:
MD played PG when he was younger. He has a great understanding of the game and knows how to read the floor. He does not "think" about who to pass the ball to, he knows who to pass the ball to. Now that he is adding his aggressive game around the rim, he makes himself that much more valuable. Most big guys cannot dribble, Marek can go coast to coast. He knows to fill in the flanks, rather, to take advantage of opportunities and JB seems to encourage it.

I would like to seek him add weight, especially if he wants to go pro, but he certainly has talent.

I didn't realize he'd played pg when he was younger. His greatest asset is his intelligence in taking what the D gives him. He has intelligent patience that way. A lot of players have their game and will either rake with it, or go down in a sea of dust and blood trying. MD rarely (that I've seen anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) forces the ball into places it shouldn't go, and we get better offensive looks (read: fewer bad ones) when the ball runs through him. He doesn't expose the ball to risk as much as some others might. That's probably a product of, as you mentioned, his ball handling experience.

I thought our D was better than our O today.

I thought our D was better than our O today.
In the first half Pitt was really tentative and some of that was our D. They became more decisive and settled down midway through the 2nd half and started getting a lot of easy buckets. They’re not a good offensive team and they hung 40 in that second half.

I didn't realize he'd played pg when he was younger. His greatest asset is his intelligence in taking what the D gives him. He has intelligent patience that way. A lot of players have their game and will either rake with it, or go down in a sea of dust and blood trying. MD rarely (that I've seen anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) forces the ball into places it shouldn't go, and we get better offensive looks (read: fewer bad ones) when the ball runs through him. He doesn't expose the ball to risk as much as some others might. That's probably a product of, as you mentioned, his ball handling experience.

I've watched almost every game the last several years, and I don't recall MD exposing the ball to risk, at least not often.

From what I recall, as a young player he was very good and was moved up into higher level competition, which meant older players, who were usually bigger. MD would then play PG because he was good and smaller. And then he grew...

His understanding of the game makes me think coaching is in his future at some point. Hopefully he gets a shot in the pros, here or in Europe, and then gets into coaching. No, this is not an "MD for SU's coach in waiting" post.

In Europe kids are taught at a very young age to move the ball, to cut, to flash, to play without the ball. He doesn't shoot it like a stereotypical Euro big, but he is "tougher" than the stereotype and still has the high level knowledge of the game.

In Europe kids are taught at a very young age to move the ball, to cut, to flash, to play without the ball. He doesn't shoot it like a stereotypical Euro big, but he is "tougher" than the stereotype and still has the high level knowledge of the game.

Definitely a higher order skill. But kids can't see any of that on the highlights, just jacking 3's and hammering dunks.

But kids can't see any of that on the highlights, just jacking 3's and hammering dunks.
Sadly, you are right. Kids are not taught the game, just the glory. Coaches want easy wins and don't focus on fundamentals,* just pass it to the big kid in the middle, or pass it to Johnny to shoot the three.
Fundamentals can make a disciplined team with less physical attributes beat major teams, see Princeton under Pete Carroll. Dribble, pass, shoot, movement off the ball, screens, pict and roll, etc. Anything to create an advantage for your team

It's amazing how much a player who is well rounded can do for a team. MD can do everything required of him, except bully bigs. To do that, he needs more weight.

I like the idea that JG3 is playing PG (not the fact that he has to, but that he stepped up and is doing so). If he gets to a SG position, he will be that much more dangerous.

*I guess that makes me a fundamentalist, at least in hoops. :cool:

Could have had 30 today if he wanted to. Made a couple of long 2s that were very smooth. He started to show some 3 point range last year, but I think the injury over the summer caused that skill to regress a bit. When he starts to feel comfortable with that shot, look out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom