Dome Renovation is Perfect Time To Fix MY Retired Jersey Issue. | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation is Perfect Time To Fix MY Retired Jersey Issue.

DoubleDee

All American
We could debate forever regarding WHOSE jerseys deserve to be up there. Whether it be football, basketball, whatever. We could argue til we're blue in the face about whether or not 44 should be retired. But we can all agree that big 44 jersey is horrible. We have multiple 44s on the basketball court as of this season. It needs to happen in football.

Let's pretend for a moment that the big three did not wear 44 at all. Let's just pretend that Brown wore 32, Davis wore 45, and Little wore 25.
Brown - First team All-American as a senior, 5th in a Heisman race he should have won, and widely known as the "greatest" to play the game.
Davis - Two-time First team All-American, National Championship, First African-American, and only Orangeman to win the Heisman Trophy.
Little - Three-time All-American, and finished 5th in Heisman voting in '65 and '66.
(if any of that is false, my apologies. But doesn't change my point)

Add all the incredible stats of their careers to the above accolades. Does that not constitute a 32, 45, and 25 jersey to be hung up next to the likes of Mackey, Csonka, McNabb, McPherson, Morris? It certainly does. And that's how it should be. They should be recognized for their achievements the same way the others have been. Those three should have had individual jersey retirements, and then continue the tradition of 44 they same way you still offer 88, 39,5, etc.

That ugly gigantic 44 jersey does nothing to spotlight the big three. All that represents is the legend of 44, and hopefully that will continue. But I personally will not be satisfied about the whole thing until I see a Brown 44, Davis 44, and Little 44 hung up in the rafters and celebrated the way they each should be.

Am I wrong?

Side notes:
Why is there not a Gait?

Brent Axe has been making a point on the radio that there needs to finally be a woman's jersey retired. I agree, but lets use our head. Basketball and lacrosse is fine. But if we start talking volleyball , soccer, etc, then they need to be retired in the appropriate field or court. The effect of it would be lost if there was a volleyball jersey in the Dome, and not one in the Women's Building.

We could debate forever regarding WHOSE jerseys deserve to be up there. Whether it be football, basketball, whatever. We could argue til we're blue in the face about whether or not 44 should be retired. But we can all agree that big 44 jersey is horrible. We have multiple 44s on the basketball court as of this season. It needs to happen in football.

Let's pretend for a moment that the big three did not wear 44 at all. Let's just pretend that Brown wore 32, Davis wore 45, and Little wore 25.
Brown - First team All-American as a senior, 5th in a Heisman race he should have won, and widely known as the "greatest" to play the game.
Davis - Two-time First team All-American, National Championship, First African-American, and only Orangeman to win the Heisman Trophy.
Little - Three-time All-American, and finished 5th in Heisman voting in '65 and '66.
(if any of that is false, my apologies. But doesn't change my point)

Add all the incredible stats of their careers to the above accolades. Does that not constitute a 32, 45, and 25 jersey to be hung up next to the likes of Mackey, Csonka, McNabb, McPherson, Morris? It certainly does. And that's how it should be. They should be recognized for their achievements the same way the others have been. Those three should have had individual jersey retirements, and then continue the tradition of 44 they same way you still offer 88, 39,5, etc.

That ugly gigantic 44 jersey does nothing to spotlight the big three. All that represents is the legend of 44, and hopefully that will continue. But I personally will not be satisfied about the whole thing until I see a Brown 44, Davis 44, and Little 44 hung up in the rafters and celebrated the way they each should be.

Am I wrong?

Side notes:
Why is there not a Gait?

Brent Axe has been making a point on the radio that there needs to finally be a woman's jersey retired. I agree, but lets use our head. Basketball and lacrosse is fine. But if we start talking volleyball , soccer, etc, then they need to be retired in the appropriate field or court. The effect of it would be lost if there was a volleyball jersey in the Dome, and not one in the Women's Building.

You realize the women play in the carrier dome, right?

I want to see the #44 projected onto the new roof - maybe with the names of the greats!

I wish we retired jerseys and not numbers.

It will never stop being crazy to me that the school allowed Daryl Gross, in his first year as AD, to retire #44 as a way to sell tickets for a game against South Florida. (A game where we failed to score a point).

He apparently signed the same contract that Carrier did. Can't be undone.

Um, yeah. That's why I wrote what I wrote. Where did I screw up?

It just seemed like you didn't really agree. No one is calling for VB or Soccer uniforms. Women's basketball and lacrosse? Yes.

It just seemed like you didn't really agree. No one is calling for VB or Soccer uniforms. Women's basketball and lacrosse? Yes.
No I don't imagine they are. But Axe kind of made it sound like if we retired _______, who was a champion basket weaver, maybe it would be in the Dome. When in fact, it should clearly be in the Basket Weaving Auditorium.
Basketball, Lax, and anything that id played in the Dome should be in the Dome.

Other sports no. It would be like hanging Joe Morris' jersey over the lake where Crew does their thing.

I wish we retired jerseys and not numbers.

It will never stop being crazy to me that the school allowed Daryl Gross, in his first year as AD, to retire #44 as a way to sell tickets for a game against South Florida. (A game where we failed to score a point).

He apparently signed the same contract that Carrier did. Can't be undone.
To be fair, jerseys is exactly what we DO do. 44 being the exception. Which I agree is absurd.

Couple things:

1 - Axe is a tool
2 - there should be 3 44 jerseys with the legends names on them in the rafters to honor each player
3 - When a womans Jersey gets "retired" it should be in the venue they played the sport in
4 - I always thought we "honored" players jersey numbers and didn't "retire" them
5 - They shouldn't even think of getting rid of the pee troughs

Ok, my work is done here.

That Jersey is horrendous.. It looks like it was made out of garbage bags and duct tape. At the very least they could try and make the single 44 a much nicer version if that's what they want to do.

Honestly all of the banners including the Hopps National Championship one look gaudy and outdated. As the OP said now is the time to redo them and make it right.

The whole things looks pieced together with no plan or style used, make it right and lets honor the star athletes the way they should be!

Yo
Couple things:

1 - Axe is a tool
2 - there should be 3 44 jerseys with the legends names on them in the rafters to honor each player
3 - When a womans Jersey gets "retired" it should be in the venue they played the sport in
4 - I always thought we "honored" players jersey numbers and didn't "retire" them
5 - They shouldn't even think of getting rid of the pee troughs

Ok, my work is done here.
You get it my friend!

Literally everything about the way the Dome acknowledges banners/accomplishments sucks.

I mean for the longest time we put our bowl games on the padding around the field which you literally had to be standing in front of to read. And then there's the 2003 National Champions banner that looks like it was printed up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need to hire a professional graphic design company to completely rework all our banners and retired jerseys to look polished and consistent and aesthetically pleasing.

Literally everything about the way the Dome acknowledges banners/accomplishments sucks.

I mean for the longest time we put our bowl games on the padding around the field which you literally had to be standing in front of to read. And then there's the 2003 National Champions banner that looks like it was printed up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need to hire a professional graphic design company to completely rework all our banners and retired jerseys to look polished and consistent and aesthetically pleasing.
Yes the 2003 banner is horrible, as are the rest of the “tarp” type banners. Billy Joel banner? See ya!
With all the bright beautiful bus wrap style signage in the halls now, you’d think we could do something like that.

SU is part of a relatively small group of schools that have won both a football and basketball title. Those should be the two banners, in the same color scheme and format, that draw your attention the most when you're in the Dome. And then have smaller secondary banners for Final Fours, Conference Titles, etc.

More stupidity: for the longest time on the blue curtain, we listed NCAA and NIT berths, but not Final Fours. Like who thinks of this stuff?

UNC gets this right. We are so bad at this:

1573666111079.png
1573666127991.png

44 should not be retired. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact, much like the rest of my opinions.

Everyone that disagrees is a witch that should be burned at the stake.

44 should not be retired. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact, much like the rest of my opinions.

Everyone that disagrees is a witch that should be burned at the stake.
Jim Brown thinks it should be retired soooooo...

Jim Brown thinks it should be retired soooooo...

I thought we unretired it for the right person. I can't keep track anymore.

Is 44 permanently retired for hoops? Someone send me a flow chart...

I thought we unretired it for the right person. I can't keep track anymore.

Is 44 permanently retired for hoops? Someone send me a flow chart...

No.

No numbers are retired for hoops.

No number is permanently retired in any sport except 44 in football.

But that doesn't change my point that all three should have their own jersey in the rafters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom