Dome Renovation | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

MaxwellCuse said:
"Aging building." "Archaic." "Lack of game day atmosphere." These are a few of the descriptives that Carlson has used in his stories that past two days about the Dome. Throw in "dingy," "shabby" and "crumbling" and you've pretty much got the narrative that opposing coaches, the media and sad sack residents of Syr.com have been pushing during our past decade of discontent. I'm an alum. Probably for those reasons I prefer an on-campus presence. My personal preference is for a dramatically upgraded fixed-roof structure that is more open to the surrounding campus and views of the city and distant landscape. But if SU decides to build on South Campus or by the Inner Harbor I'll still be happy. We need to change the narrative 180 degrees and the sooner the better. I hope March 2 produces headlines around the nation -- or at least the ACC -- like the BC announcement has. Dino Babers needs the excitement of a major rehab, along with the excitement his scheme promises to bring to the field, in order to bring Orange football back to the place most of us want it to be.
This type of talk always bothers me.
Notre Dame stadium was built in 1930.
Ohio Stadium - 1922.
Michigan Stadium - 1927.
Rose Bowl - 1922.
Los Angeles Coliseum - 1923.
Bryant-Denny Stadium - 1929

The dome sure is old.

Displacing teams for full seasons is extremely undesirable, especially for football, playing an entire season in b buffalo or albany or the moon would set back attendance for years to come, I know we already have an attendance problem, but this would hit at the core of the 20k dihards and result in season tix non renewals, The powers that be need to make this a reburbish job without interrupting bb and fb, I personally am a season ticket holder for 10 years in albany and would give up my tickets if football didn't have a home for a year.
I guess you weren't a fan in 1979 when the team had ALL road games because the dome was under construction. BTW, Syracuse went to a bowl game and won it that year.

Ever been to NYC?

If they secure the perimeter (tough to do, but possible), why can't they have cranes moving steel?

I do work in NYC. I am actually on site at the WTC doing engineering work. Securing the perimeter is not the same as having folks watch games in a dome while cranes are up above and having folks shuffle in and out of the dome. You guys mentioning that a building going up in NYC is the same are wrong, its not the same.

Ohio Stadium - 1922.
Michigan Stadium - 1927.
Rose Bowl - 1922.

The dome sure is old.

when the on field product is excelleing, you tend to overlook a lot of the other noise.

I do work in NYC. I am actually on site at the WTC doing engineering work. Securing the perimeter is not the same as having folks watch games in a dome while cranes are up above and having folks shuffle in and out of the dome. You guys mentioning that a building going up in NYC is the same are wrong, its not the same.

I think we're on the same team. If you re-read one of my prior posts, I do not advocate having games in the Dome during construction.

My interpretation of some posts was that they do not feel it is possible to put cranes on campus at any point in time due to foot traffic. Which I don't believe to be true.

Notre Dame just spent $700m+ on upgrading the campus, including $400m for the football stadium and associated buildings. Ohio State spent $200m+ on renovations to the stadium in 2000. Michigan Stadium had a $220m renovation in 2010. The Rose Bowl just completed a $170m renovation. The LA Coliseum has more than $100m in renovations coming. Alabama has spent more than $150m on renovations in the last 15 years. Those places also all have separate buildings for other sports.

In contrast the Dome was built for about $70m (in 2015$$) to get as many people in to watch a football and basketball games. You get what you pay for.

Fly Rodder said:
Notre Dame just spent $700m+ on upgrading the campus, including $400m for the football stadium and associated buildings. Ohio State spent $200m+ on renovations to the stadium in 2000. Michigan Stadium had a $220m renovation in 2010. The Rose Bowl just completed a $170m renovation. The LA Coliseum has more than $100m in renovations coming. Alabama has spent more than $150m on renovations in the last 15 years. Those places also all have separate buildings for other sports. In contrast the Dome was built for about $70m (in 2015$$) to get as many people in to watch a football and basketball games. You get what you pay for.
I know. My point is I guess to speak for renovation, and against the whole notion the the "decrepit" old gal needs to come down.

I guess you weren't a fan in 1979 when the team had ALL road games because the dome was under construction. BTW, Syracuse went to a bowl game and won it that year.

No, I was 8...

I know. My point is I guess to speak for renovation, and against the whole notion the the "decrepit" old gal needs to come down.
I get it too, but at the same time, the dome was built dirt cheap. It's like getting a Chevy cobalt and, yeah, you probably have some real good memories with it, but even if you spend a few grand on upgrades, it's still not going to be a custom rebuilt '61 corvette ragtop.

The problem, IMO, is that if they try to rebuild that chevy cobalt into a fancy custom corvette, it's going to cost a lot more, in both construction costs and lost revenue, than to just build a fancy new one on south campus and do it right. Schools are getting tons more money for revenue sports than they did in the 70s when the dome was conceived and eventually built.

Ohio Stadium - 1922.
Michigan Stadium - 1927.
Rose Bowl - 1922.

The dome sure is old.

And almost every single one of them has undergone, or is currently undergoing, a major renovation.

SU2NASA said:
And almost every single one of them has undergone, or is currently undergoing, a major renovation.
I. Know. I'm arguing for renovation and against new construction.

Those may be terms that opposing coaches and local media use. But our coaches, and much of the fan base, look at the dome in a more positive manner. We should not overreact to declarations by those who hope for our athletic programs to fail (not referring to the PS).

I agree that the building needs an upgrade. But the whole competitive atmosphere will improve immensely when the FB team puts a winning, exciting product on the field, and the BB team gets back to Top 10 status (and 28K this past weekend is nothing to sneeze at).

Perception is reality and unfortunately "much of the fanbase" doesn't have a voice and coaches that rely on the university for their salaries don't count as far as perception goes.

I get it too, but at the same time, the dome was built dirt cheap. It's like getting a Chevy cobalt and, yeah, you probably have some real good memories with it, but even if you spend a few grand on upgrades, it's still not going to be a custom rebuilt '61 corvette ragtop.

The problem, IMO, is that if they try to rebuild that chevy cobalt into a fancy custom corvette, it's going to cost a lot more, in both construction costs and lost revenue, than to just build a fancy new one on south campus and do it right. Schools are getting tons more money for revenue sports than they did in the 70s when the dome was conceived and eventually built.

I wouldn't call the Dome in 1980 a Chevy Cobalt, it was a state of the art facility with the latest tech in an air supported roof during that period. It just didn't have very many amenities which were not nearly as important back then as they are today for fan experience.

To say that it can't be refurbished into the premier domed structure in college football is patently wrong. It is just a matter of what the administration wants to do.

As my CIO always says, anything can be accomplished with money, time and resources (people).

I will not not comment on construction/design as I am not qualified. However the major reconstruction project should be the FB team since no matter how fancy the box if the product inside is inferior the product will not sell.
I drive 4 hrs. to and from the game and if was not played in a "dome" I would give up my 4 season tickets. I am of the age where comfort counts! A renewed on campus "dome" works for me.

rrlbees said:
That's what I said. Can't happen now but originally it was but that's when the announcement was coming last fall.

This year's graduating class thought they might have to move graduation out of the Dome. So, yeah, this year was on the table at one point.

But, if part of a large city, county CNY plan, a new building could be the center piece of an economic jump start.
The university and the dome already are a major contributors economically to the city and region and will increase with an updated facility and team. The university's mission is first and formost education and that should be it's major focus.

The university and the dome already are a major contributors economically to the city and region and will increase with an updated facility and team. The university's mission is first and formost education and that should be it's major focus.
Well, if that's the case, the the cheapest option is the choice.
The University is enhanced by increased applications if the city is viewed was a cool place at which to go to college. An easy connection between campus, armory/downtown, inner harbor, the new concert center, Destiny, train station and airport, would be great.
How or if that could be done is beyond me.

I wouldn't call the Dome in 1980 a Chevy Cobalt, it was a state of the art facility with the latest tech in an air supported roof during that period. It just didn't have very many amenities which were not nearly as important back then as they are today for fan experience.

To say that it can't be refurbished into the premier domed structure in college football is patently wrong. It is just a matter of what the administration wants to do.

As my CIO always says, anything can be accomplished with money, time and resources (people).

Indeed. The articles that Carlson has been running this week have been quite informative. One of the persons interviewed was an individual directly involved in the Dome project, in which he stated, "the Dome was built to last." That was the project's main goal, along with allowing as many fannies as possible under the footprint...frills were not an objective. With the goals met, the Dome has been a tremendous success and asset to the university.

Additionally, in another piece Carlson ran, he spoke with the architect involved in the Vancouver renovation. That individual stated that the options Syracuse University has are numerous and that really the only limitations are what the university and the powers that be place on it themselves according to their particular desires, financial budgets, time frame, etc.

Ohio Stadium - 1922.
Michigan Stadium - 1927.
Rose Bowl - 1922.

The dome sure is old.
Times change; I predict that all of those stadiums will be significantly modernized over the next 20 years.

I dont get why the concern from out of town people over losing a season of FB games. if you drive from the east NYC/Albany you might actually get a game or 2 closer , same from the west if you come from Roch, Buffalo is a wash. the locals lose out and there are vastly more in the local area going to games. but a 1 yr washout for a new place is a no brainer to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom