Don’t let anyone tell you that Cuse isn’t in the tier right below the Blue Bloods | Syracusefan.com

Don’t let anyone tell you that Cuse isn’t in the tier right below the Blue Bloods

24 Sweet 16 appearances. Michigan State now has 21. Louisville has 28. It seems like a good metric for ranking where college basketball teams stand historically and currently. I would historically put SU anywhere between 7 and 10, and this tracks with that.

The Johnnies would move up one tier if Slick Rick gets them back to the Sweet 16, and that feels more appropriate given their history in Eastern college basketball.

Utah is that high on the list? I remember the Keith Van Horn years but that's about it and I have watched a lot of CBB over the years.
Regardless of how it is spun (championships, sweet 16's, all time wins) we are right up there just below the big 5.

Not sure how we’re a tier above Michigan, Arizona, UConn or Nova

Longevity essentially. Smaller window success for some of those below us. When you start parsing by more recent time periods it shifts a bit.

one big deal over looked is that most of these runs in the last say 40 yrs required winning 4 games,

Kansas has 31 (1953, 1957, 1960, 1966, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1981, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022)

So in 1985 we went to 64 teams and it became much harder, Kansas 22 Kentucky has 22, Su has 16. UCLA has 16. indiana 10. MSU has 34!!!

Utah 6

Awful metric then. Id take UConn’s titles in a heartbeat over every single sweet 16 outside of 2003s.
If you are trying to decide who the best overall programs are then yes I do agree with you. This merely is showing Sweet 16 tiers. We could also do most wins all time tiers as well.

Awful metric then. Id take UConn’s titles in a heartbeat over every single sweet 16 outside of 2003s.
Of course. But Sweet 16s show consistency at the top of college basketball. The tourney is so much about luck and matchups, especially when you get past the first two rounds. We’ve been a consistently great program for 50 years. MSU also only has one title since the advent of the 64 team field. Are they not an elite program?

While I take pride in our accomplishments, as a diehard cuse fan, that graphic does very little in proving our worth as close to blueblood level. Also, regardless how well we stack up with stats, no one outside of syracuse is looking at us being a tier above UConn.

Bottom line... we're a great brand that has taken a slide. We're also a program that should have more than one title. What Boeheim did was incredible. But our case on where we are compared to other programs really takes a hit because of only one title. Our level of consistency though is hard to match.

Just a pet peeve, but I always refer to threads like this as suffering from "Stuart Smalley Syndrome"-
"We're good enough. We're smart enough. And doggone it, people like us".
Our record speaks for itself, and shouldn't require confirmation or validation to justify our status. That question only seems to crop up on this forum. Everywhere else, our status seems obvious...except maybe to some of our own? Smdh

Last edited:
Kansas for all its done since the late 80s has 1 more title than SU..
Two more since the advent of the 64 team field. 1988, 2008, and 2022.

Just a pet peeve, but I always refer to threads like this as suffering from "Stuart Smalley Syndrome"-
"We're good enough. We're smart enough. And doggone it, people like us".
Our record speaks for itself, and shouldn't require confirmation or validation to justify our status. That question only seems to crop up on this forum. Everywhere else, our status seems obvious...except maybe to some of our own? Smdh
Yep, tend to agree. Even right now, when I hear people (outside of Syracuse) talk about Cuse, they recognize the slide but still look at us as a strong basketball program and brand. Red just needs to get the engine revved up again and most will forget this slide.

Someone with some sense.

We have a great history it should be celebrated, but jesus this is about winning titles. I enjoyed all the sweet 16 runs (well most) , but you know what that many sweet 16 runs make you realize? You have to complete the journey.

I still can't wrap my head around UConn having 4. It doesn't seem right or possible.

Someone with some sense.

We have a great history it should be celebrated, but jesus this is about winning titles. I enjoyed all the sweet 16 runs (well most) , but you know what that many sweet 16 runs make you realize? You have to complete the journey.

I still can't wrap my head around UConn having 4. It doesn't seem right or possible.
Fair enough, and not to belabor the obvious, but I'm a Mets fan...and could care less about the Yankees championships.
What's there to wrap our heads around? They won when they had the opportunity- good on them.
Would I love to have their 4? Well, duh!
But...it is what it is, and the Mutts still suck. That is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom