Don't get too excited, yet | Syracusefan.com

Don't get too excited, yet

Caboose

Scout Team
I'm extremely happy that the team has taken care of business against most of the teams it should have and pulled a surprise win against Duke. However, the jury is still out, and we won't know just how good we really are until we hit the NC State and-later portion of the schedule. I will say though, yesterday's performance against Va Tech has me thinking we should beat NC State. They only made 9 buckets the entire game! Va Tech's defense is legit.

6 of our 7 wins have come against 5 of the bottom 6 teams in the conference with a combined record of 9-33 (ND, Clemson, Pitt(2), BC). I don't think that tells us much about how good we really are (or aren't). We'll soon find out... We have 4 games remaining against opponents who have a combined record of 29-5 (Duke, Virginia @UNC, Louisville), 2 against teams w a record of 8-9 (Florida St, @NC State), and 3 against bottom feeders w a combined record of 5-18 (BC, @Wake, Clemson).

The question is, how will we do in the splits? Ideally, I think we can go 2-2, 1-1, and 3-0, to finish 13-5 in the conference, which all considering, would be absolutely amazing. It's also very possible that this team goes 14-4 by going 5-0 against the 5 latter teams above, and splitting with the top 4. Would it be too greedy to ask for 3-1 against the top 4 remaining on our schedule? Thoughts on all this? How do we finish?

I think best case 6-3 and worst case 1-8. That averages out to 3.5-5.5 which is realistic.

On paper we should lose to Duke, @UNC, UVA. FSU, @NC State, Louisville, Clemson are toss ups. We should beat BC and @Wake. Although Wake despite stinking is mid gauntlet and a trap game. So IMO we go 0-3, 2-2, 2-0 to finish 4-5 and 20-11 (11-7).

We are 4-1 in road ACC games.
I don’t care if they are against the dregs or not you have to give the team props and be excited by that performance on the road.
Road wins are how you get in the tournament.
Plus we got the best win any team in the country will have on selection Sunday winning at Duke.
We aren’t going to be a protected seed so just winning games to be safely in on selection Sunday is all that matters.
I just don’t want to be in Virginia’s bracket come March. We won’t be in Duke’s because we will have played them 2 times in the regular season.
Give us Tennessee or Michigan/Michigan State’s bracket please.

Yeah I’m not worried about NC State after watching them yesterday. Same with Louisville.

Yeah I’m not worried about NC State after watching them yesterday. Same with Louisville.
You’re not worried? We have a team that can go 5 minutes at a time without scoring, that doesn’t have a point guard, that can’t dribble against high pressure, that has a center who shows up every other game or so, that relies almost exclusively on jump shooting and you’re not worried?

You’re not worried? We have a team that can go 5 minutes at a time without scoring, that doesn’t have a point guard, that can’t dribble against high pressure, that has a center who shows up every other game or so, that relies almost exclusively on jump shooting and you’re not worried?
Have we ever scored under 30 points?

11 conference wins is the mark to go dancing. Beating the 3 bottom feeders and 1 other team is very doable. Anything after that is gravy.

I'm excited.

Road wins are important.

Just win, baby -- lots of work left to do. But this start to the ACC conference schedule has positioned us well. Even if we basically go .500 the rest of the way, we can get to 12 wins.

This was a strange OP. It leads off with a cautionary statement about our record because it's been against the bottom half of the league and that we should temper about excitement and ends with the suggestion we will go 13-5 or 14-4.
I'm thinking 11-7. Anything more and I will be very happy.

I'm thinking enjoy the ride. There are no sure wins, there are no definite losses. Some outcomes are more likely than others, but take them one at a time and see what happens.

After a win, it wouldn't hurt to

DSC03327-300x168.jpg

The team isn't just barely winning these games against the lower ACC tier teams, they are handling them rather easily. I think they think that the ACC regular season crown is there to get. Still conserving Frank for the tough stretch.

I'm thinking enjoy the ride. There are no sure wins, there are no definite losses. Some outcomes are more likely than others, but take them one at a time and see what happens.

DSC03327-300x168.jpg
This is probably the best way to word how every Syracuse fan should view the rest of the year.

We have yet to play Duke, LVille, UNC, and VA. But all but Carolina are at home, so that gives me a good feeling we might win one of them, most likely LVille.

Virginia and Duke also have a murderer’s row coming up. Their schedule is harder than ours. VA still has to play Duke (again), UNC, VTech and LVille twice. Duke has to play VA (again), LVille, VTech and UNC twice. Something’s gotta give there and maybe we can take advantage and slither up in the W-L column.

DSC03327-300x168.jpg

...wonder whose dog poo'd on your lawn?

This sentiment, in part, is why I'm married to my wife...balance. I watched that VPI v. State game and my thinking was... you watch, they won't miss a frigging thing when we play them. :)

I'm extremely happy that the team has taken care of business against most of the teams it should have and pulled a surprise win against Duke. However, the jury is still out, and we won't know just how good we really are until we hit the NC State and-later portion of the schedule. I will say though, yesterday's performance against Va Tech has me thinking we should beat NC State. They only made 9 buckets the entire game! Va Tech's defense is legit.

6 of our 7 wins have come against 5 of the bottom 6 teams in the conference with a combined record of 9-33 (ND, Clemson, Pitt(2), BC). I don't think that tells us much about how good we really are (or aren't). We'll soon find out... We have 4 games remaining against opponents who have a combined record of 29-5 (Duke, Virginia @UNC, Louisville), 2 against teams w a record of 8-9 (Florida St, @NC State), and 3 against bottom feeders w a combined record of 5-18 (BC, @Wake, Clemson).

The question is, how will we do in the splits? Ideally, I think we can go 2-2, 1-1, and 3-0, to finish 13-5 in the conference, which all considering, would be absolutely amazing. It's also very possible that this team goes 14-4 by going 5-0 against the 5 latter teams above, and splitting with the top 4. Would it be too greedy to ask for 3-1 against the top 4 remaining on our schedule? Thoughts on all this? How do we finish?
Not a Yankees fan, but I remember in ‘96- during an improbable run that had people questioning how good they really were, 2B Mariano Duncan coined that team’s WS winning slogan: “You play today, you win today...THAT’S IT”!
Excuse me if Im not ready to be so dismissive of our record. JMHO

Not a Yankees fan, but I remember in ‘96- during an improbable run that had people questioning how good they really were, 2B Mariano Duncan coined that team’s WS winning slogan: “You play today, you win today...THAT’S IT”!
Excuse me if Im not ready to be so dismissive of our record. JMHO
If the implication is that I was being "dismissive" of our ACC record then I guess you should re-read my post. So I guess by expressing the slightest bit of tempered enthusiasm, beware because you must be a terrible fan lol.

The team isn't just barely winning these games against the lower ACC tier teams, they are handling them rather easily. I think they think that the ACC regular season crown is there to get.
Hmmm.
I thought this was the Syracusefan board.
Don't know how I got on the UVA board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom