Draft express newest mock draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Draft express newest mock draft

If he's not an NBA player then he might as well bolt, get that first round draft pick guaranteed contract, then go to Europe.

FFS. For the 2nd time, the only reason I brought up Hayward was with regards to getting bigger/stronger. Hayward was a beanpole in college, similar to Lydon, and when I saw him the other night he has gotten much bigger and more muscular. Lydon can do that too in the NBA and doesn't need Devo and the SU weight room to do that.

It had nothing to do with race, skill, or position.

If he's not an NBA player then he might as well bolt, get that first round draft pick guaranteed contract, then go to Europe.

Would love to have some people understand a couple key points on here that are rehashed EVERY year.

1) "He should get his degree". You can still get a degree when you are 30 after 10 years of pro ball money
2) "You shouldn't go unless you are lottery". 1st round money is guaranteed and you are 1 year closer to free agency
3) "He's not good enough to be in NBA" Then he should probably get his money while he has the wool over the NBA's eyes, no?

There are tons of less talented guys who hang on to the NBA because they are willing to do the work and deal with the grind. Lydon has a nice skill set, but whether thay plays out to the NBA time will tell.. He is not overly athletic, he doesnt have a great handle, he doesnt have great hands. He shoots well but can he get a shot off against a NBA dude?

if we goes at 20 he makes roughly 8 million, two years 3.5 guaranteed. t say 50% to taxes. so roughly 1.75 million and after expenses probably has a million in the bank if he does not go crazy.

then he has to go prove it.

if he comes back and goes top 10 he almost doubles his money. . but does that happen.

If you think Tyler Zeller is his listed height, I got a bridge to sell you.

Same thing if you think Kevin Love is actually 6'10"

You guys are crazy if you don't think Lydon isn't NBA ready. Clearly the guy who doesn't think he is doesn't watch a lot of the NBA.

Three and D guys can play for years in the NBA, just ask Wes Johnson. Lydon is the type of forward that the new wave in the league is looking for. Quickness instead of strength. Size but not bulk. Three point shooters instead of dinosaurs banging in the post.

Hell, even Boogie and Bro Lo are draining threes this year. Big guys that can shoot are the wave of the future.

Lydon is a lottery pick.

I mean the crazy thing is even if he is shorter than those guys he blocks more shots than all of them.
because he plays in a college system that is designed to generate blocks.

Three and D guys can play for years in the NBA, just ask Wes Johnson.
3 and D guys are perimeter players. Lydon doesn't have the D to be a 3 and D guy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I watch about 10x as much NBA as you guys . . . you would think that having overvalued the last dozen or so Syracuse pro prospects you guys would learn

because he plays in a college system that is designed to generate blocks.

3 and D guys are perimeter players. Lydon doesn't have the D to be a 3 and D guy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I watch about 10x as much NBA as you guys . . . you would think that having overvalued the last dozen or so Syracuse pro prospects you guys would learn

I watch a lot of NBA myself. Knicks. Cavs. Spurs. Warriors. You name it. I don't consider myself an NBA scout. I do know Lydon is a good player. I do know that Chad Ford said after Lydons performance against Georgetown that if he kept putting up numbers the rest of the year he could work his way into the lottery. I trust Chad Ford and Jonathan Givony more than I trust a random message board guy when it comes to projecting a players pro potential. Go to their sites if you don't believe me. The info is there for everyone to read.

I'll add that I didn't think Mal was an NBA player last year, but I was wrong. I've learned my lesson. Now Lydon could get hurt and not get drafted, but he's basically averaging 20 and 10 for us the last 6 games. I think that's going to continue and I think we need to get over the fact he may be slightly out of shape or not strong enough because an NBA training program is going to fix that, especially when his only job at that point will be basketball.

Lydon is more NBA ready right now than our last 3 guys who went in the 1st round (Ennis, McCullough, Mali). Hell last January scouts were saying Lydon was the most intriguing NBA prospect we had. Lydon has a place as a stretch 4 and he can guard most stretch 4s. Could he guard a 245lb guy who backs him down on the block? Maybe not - but could he guard another 4 who lives on the perimeter and doesn't have great handle? Hell yes. I believe in every single game we've played this year, Lydon has been the best NBA prospect on the floor.

I'd like to ask that dude who in college right now he sees as an NBA stretch 4?

lack of NBA athleticism, especially quickness. His limitations are hidden in the zone scheme.

I would like nothing more than to be wrong, but I don't see an NBA player.
I watch a ton of NBA as well and I agree with Oraiste. While many of you think he fits the mold of an NBA player because of the way the NBA is trending, I do not see that in TL. He doesn't have the speed or strength to matchup with most NBA 4s. He Has zero off the bounce game and that is needed for 4s now because a lot of teams switch 1-4 and if you cannot attack and then use your strength when you get to the hoop against a smaller guard then you won't be able to stick around. I said it before the season that this teams success would depend on whether he has improved his off the bounce/triple threat game or not. He really has not improved on that at all. His strength is still a problem. He can really shoot it and is 6'9 which is a huge plus so maybe he goes in the first round because of that but I just don't think he will last. He is like Wiltjer who is on the Rockets but Kyle shoots it better than TL.

he's also shorter than all of them and, except for Anderson, they're all centers. And Anderson is much thicker and stronger than Tyler.

TL has the body type of a modern NBA 3 man; he is built more like Chandler Parsons or Gordon Hayward but he does not remotely have the skill set those guys do to play on the perimeter

#HardTruths
And Anderson is maybe one of the best shooters in the NBA. TL isn't THAT good of a shooter

I watch a ton of NBA as well and I agree with Oraiste. While many of you think he fits the mold of an NBA player because of the way the NBA is trending, I do not see that in TL. He doesn't have the speed or strength to matchup with most NBA 4s. He Has zero off the bounce game and that is needed for 4s now because a lot of teams switch 1-4 and if you cannot attack and then use your strength when you get to the hoop against a smaller guard then you won't be able to stick around. I said it before the season that this teams success would depend on whether he has improved his off the bounce/triple threat game or not. He really has not improved on that at all. His strength is still a problem. He can really shoot it and is 6'9 which is a huge plus so maybe he goes in the first round because of that but I just don't think he will last. He is like Wiltjer who is on the Rockets but Kyle shoots it better than TL.

I know it seems like I pick on you a lot because of our disagreement on the Coaching situation, but Wiltjer is a pretty bad comparison. He's 24, spent 5 years in college, and never averaged over 6 rebounds a game in college at 6'10".
Wiltjer was also just a 37% shooter as a sophomore. Lydon has the higher upside.

Anyway this is what Chad Ford said:

23. Tyler Lydon
i

Previous rank: No. 22
Syracuse
Sophomore
Forward

Lydon got off to a bit of a slow start for the Orange, but he had his most dominant game of the season versus Georgetown on Saturday, scoring 29 points, grabbing 9 boards and shooting a scintillating 12-for-13 from the field.

If he can start contributing with that sort of drive and energy consistently, he'll move up about 10 spots on the Big Board.

H
Not sure if you watch the NBA and think he's a tweener from back in the past NBA world. But in todays NBA, he is legitimately exactly what every team is looking for. A stretch 4 that can hit above 35% from 3 and also has a little bit of rim protection ability is about a $20m/year player these days.
He is very very far from a 20 mill player. That's just silly. He is, however, a first round pick and will absolutely be gone. Enjoy him this year everyone.

I know it seems like I pick on you a lot because of our disagreement on the Coaching situation, but Wiltjer is a pretty bad comparison. He's 24, spent 5 years in college, and never averaged over 6 rebounds a game in college at 6'10".
Wiltjer was also just a 37% shooter as a sophomore. Lydon has the higher upside.

Anyway this is what Chad Ford said:

23. Tyler Lydon
i

Previous rank: No. 22
Syracuse
Sophomore
Forward

Lydon got off to a bit of a slow start for the Orange, but he had his most dominant game of the season versus Georgetown on Saturday, scoring 29 points, grabbing 9 boards and shooting a scintillating 12-for-13 from the field.

If he can start contributing with that sort of drive and energy consistently, he'll move up about 10 spots on the Big Board.
I agree that he will get drafted in the first round but I don't think he will stick around and have a long career in the NBA. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see it. What's a player comparison you think he fits?

I agree that he will get drafted in the first round but I don't think he will stick around and have a long career in the NBA. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see it. What's a player comparison you think he fits?

His ceiling is probably Cliff Robinson. Low end is probably Mirza Teletovic. I'd say somewhere between Frye and Patrick Patterson and the thing is he's a better shooter now than they ever were in college. Way ahead of the curve at 20 years old. I know you're not as high on his shooting as some but that's usually the last thing to develop for a guy his size.

No way Lydon is NOTHING like Hayward.
In college Hayward was a SG/SF.

Lydon is a PF. He has a role in the league. He won't play as a rookie but by his second year be fine.
...Not to mention he is almost 6'10 in shoes (not 6'8) and with his baby face, he may not be done growing. He will play in the NBA for sure.

Kelly Olynyk. TL is slightly shorter but more athletic and better defender. Same wingspan.

His ceiling is probably Cliff Robinson. Low end is probably Mirza Teletovic. I'd say somewhere between Frye and Patrick Patterson and the thing is he's a better shooter now than they ever were in college. Way ahead of the curve at 20 years old. I know you're not as high on his shooting as some but that's usually the last thing to develop for a guy his size.
I like the Channing Frye comparison. I see some Frye in his game and a little Nikola Mirotic too.

lack of NBA athleticism, especially quickness. His limitations are hidden in the zone scheme.

I would like nothing more than to be wrong, but I don't see an NBA player.
Well, you should love your opinion then.

I watch a lot of NBA myself. Knicks. Cavs. Spurs. Warriors. You name it. I don't consider myself an NBA scout. I do know Lydon is a good player. I do know that Chad Ford said after Lydons performance against Georgetown that if he kept putting up numbers the rest of the year he could work his way into the lottery. I trust Chad Ford and Jonathan Givony more than I trust a random message board guy when it comes to projecting a players pro potential. Go to their sites if you don't believe me. The info is there for everyone to read.

I'll add that I didn't think Mal was an NBA player last year, but I was wrong. I've learned my lesson. Now Lydon could get hurt and not get drafted, but he's basically averaging 20 and 10 for us the last 6 games. I think that's going to continue and I think we need to get over the fact he may be slightly out of shape or not strong enough because an NBA training program is going to fix that, especially when his only job at that point will be basketball.
I already stated I think he'll get drafted, even in the first round. That's the nature of the draft - there are only 3 to 5 guys max who are sure things, every other team is just hoping they get lucky. And you have to use the pick. So, yeah, he'll get drafted in the mid to late first round. But he won't get a 2nd contract and probably not have all the options exercised on his first. He's a good shooter, but other than that, his best position is as a center in an idiosyncratic college zone scheme.

Once again, I hope I am wrong, but I've seen nothing from Lydon that gives me confidence he can stick in the NBA.