Draymond Green NOT a Red fan | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Draymond Green NOT a Red fan

They dont know how to get him more looks from the corners. And they should if they're using him to hit threes only.

View attachment 237944
That chart surprises me because it seems that I've seen him make a lot of them from the left corner - interesting chart.

Pat of the reason Cooney's numbers didn't align with how good a shooter we knew he was is because of how hard it is to make shots running in different directions.

If it's curry and you just want to get him as many shots as possible and those tough shots are still better than everyone else's, go nuts

But with Bell, it he should still get the ball if the punt guard is making the right plays

It's like the bubble screen in the spread offense. If you do everything else right, they're going to have to give it to you. Spread everyone out, make the defense easy to read, and let the QB choose accordingly. We just don't have a qb

Well if the PG could shoot and make the right plays.

You're confusing ISO ball with a ball dominant point guard who wants to get his own over setting other guys up.

And you're seriously comparing Clingan to anyone we have on our roster?
We could use Brown in his role for screening more and incorporate better off ball screens. Judah is selfish no doubt but I don’t put all the blame on him

CleanShot 2024-02-21 at 10.52.48.jpg

You're confusing ISO ball with a ball dominant point guard who wants to get his own over setting other guys up.

And you're seriously comparing Clingan to anyone we have on our roster?

If only we could find a P5 level Darius Garland type...what a wonderful SU world it would be.

Clearly Draymond hasn’t seen Bell try and set a screen and I think some folks here are missing that too. The player has to be at least average at setting a screen to run that action and Bell is not. It’s an area of his game that also needs work. If he can improve there too he can have a field day with getting good looks.
Our coaches aren’t idiots. There has to be some rationale (probably poor) for why they don’t set more screens for Bell and have him set screens, as Draymond explained. Maybe they worry he’s going to foul on the screens because he executes it poorly in practice? I think our coaches worry too much about the negative things that can happen, which is a remnant of JB’s regressive keep-it-simple philosophy and is probably hampering our assistants and their offensive approach. Red needs to abandon some of JB’s offensive concepts as well, now that he’s moved mostly to man to man D. I want to see more innovation on offense next season.

Last edited:
Bell isn't equipped nor is the team to going start running pin downs for him to come of the screen and shoot contested catch and shoot 3's. He doesn't move great off the ball, never has. NC st defense was abysmal in first half and much better in 2nd half. He had a great open looks and he made them which was great. Nobody will ever confuse Bell with JJ Reddick or Jordan Hawkins when it comes to working to get open for catch and shoot 3's

he doesn't move well off ball. Pretty cut and dry.
Curious to read what plays people want us to run for Bell. I said this a few weeks ago, but he’s good at pop a shot. We tried to run some action for him early in the 2nd half and he missed pretty badly. He’s not Andy Rautins. He’s not going to make a lot coming off down screens on the move.
One of Bell’s 3s from the top of the key in the first half came off a pin down screen from Maliq.

Bell might not be great at it right now, but it’s our coaches’ responsibility to teach and drill the players on these offensive concepts and execution. I expect them to have Bell become much better at moving off the ball by next season. If not, bring in an assistant that is good at teaching this stuff.

Scoop used to do that. Watch UConn move the ball offensively around clingan and compare to our iso ball
Maliq nor any other frontline player we have, is in the same stratosphere as a threat to score as a Clingan. Those guys don't come a dime a dozen.
Hence the perspective about the team lacking pieces. We're just not there yet.

Does anybody here have a ShotQuality account? I would be willing to bet that our offense does not grade out very well on there.

I know this thread but focused on Bell's usage but that is a small portion of my gripe in this area. I am not sure that I have ever watched a basketball team take less open shots than this one. And there seems to be very little creativity schematically in finding ways to do so.

I never expected it to look like Yukon's offense with Hurley and his assistants :vomit: but I was hoping for much more offensively in more ways than one. I understand the limitations of the roster and what our guys can do but I do not believe that what we are doing offensively is the only or best solution to our problem.

Maybe we have guys that are uncoachable or throw it all out once the game starts. Idk because I am not at practice. Hopefully there is much more complex stuff that Red wants to do but just doesn't think that he can with this group. While I don't think that would be a complete excuse to what I am watching on that end this season, it is at least a bit reasonable.

Regardless, I hope that it looks much improved next season with a (FINGERS CROSSED) better roster.

Maliq nor any other frontline player we have, is in the same stratosphere as a threat to score as a Clingan. Those guys don't come a dime a dozen.
That's why it's a damn shame Jesse isn't here. I mean, Judah would still be driving into 1 on 3s and not passing, but Jesse can score from about 8-10ft out at a stupidly high percentage with Maliq flashing off the screen to clean up any rebounds.

But we have what we have.

When was the last time Syracuse ran plays? To be honest I've only watched like 4 games this year so maybe they are now but I just remember a decade plus of one on one.

I want to share something Draymond doesn't know. I'm surprised nobody seems to be mentioning it.

NC St is a team that plays 3 guards and 2 bigs. The first half they were guarding Bell with one of the guards, and he went 8-8 from 3 because he set his feet, and with his height and quick release, just shot right over the top of the smaller defender.

In the second half NC St put their PF on Bell, who is their best shot blocker by far. They thought they could do that because our only PF got kicked off the team, so they didn't need him to cover anyone big. The power forward never helped, never left Bell's side.

There was a trade off. Copeland had the smaller guard on him, and Copeland abused him down low in the second half without a shot blocker around the rim to get in his way. So we did make NC St pay for the switch.

I dont claim to know more about basketball than Draymond Green, but I bet I watch SU a lot more than he does. Trying to run Bell off screens (a skill he does not possess) with a big shot blocker in his face would have been playing right into NC St's hands. Making that little guard defend us down low with their best shot blocker out at the 3 point line covering Bell seems like a good adjustment to me.

Last edited:
I want to share something Draymond doesn't know. I'm surprised nobody seems to be mentioning it.

NC St is a team that plays 3 guards and 2 bigs. The first half they were guarding Bell with one of the guards, and he went 8-8 from 3 because he set his feet, and with his height and quick release, just shot right over the top of the smaller defender.

In the second half NC St put their PF on Bell, who is their best shot blocker by far. They thought they could do that because our only PF got kicked off the team, so they didn't need him to cover anyone big. The power forward never helped, never left Bell's side.

There was a trade off. Copeland had the smaller guard on him, and Copeland abused him down low in the second half without a shot blocker around the rim to get in his way. So we did make NC St pay for the switch.

I dont claim to know more about basketball than Draymond Green, but I bet I watch SU a lot more than he does. Trying to run Bell off screens (a skill he does not possess) with a big shot blocker in his face would have been playing right into NC St's hands. Making that little guard defend us down low with their best shot blocker out at the 3 point line covering Bell seems like a good adjustment to me.
Might be overstating how much they made NC St pay for the switch because we shot 39% in the second half even though we only took 2 three pointers (that seems hard to believe - not sure if the box score i'm looking at is right)

Maybe SU kept them in the game by not getting Copeland more shots - maybe NC state expected copeland to win that matchup and maybe they expected mintz to not get him the ball. when it mattered most, Autry countered by taking the ball from mintz. They're not good but it's weirdly interesting this year

Mintz Starling 10-29
Everyone else 20-30

Mintz Starling were 5 for 17 in the second half. Barf
Everyone else 6 for 11

Coaching staff’s justification:

this was good, thanks for sharing.

bell is a WR who does really well when defense cheat to stop a rb. or he's a fullback in an old fashioned option offense where they're terrified of the qb and tailback. if that WR feasts on bubble screens when the defense cheats, great, but when the defense stops cheating, they're not going to force the ball to the WR, they're going to run inside.

mintz isn't that effective when he's not getting every call but SU was fine with playing 4 on 4 with a big out of the way.

Coaching staff’s justification:

"NC State kept putting two guys on the ball, we kept hitting the slip guy"

I assume he's talking about the first half, that certainly didn't happen in the second half.

Might be overstating how much they made NC St pay for the switch because we shot 39% in the second half even though we only took 2 three pointers (that seems hard to believe - not sure if the box score i'm looking at is right)

Maybe SU kept them in the game by not getting Copeland more shots - maybe NC state expected copeland to win that matchup and maybe they expected mintz to not get him the ball. when it mattered most, Autry countered by taking the ball from mintz. They're not good but it's weirdly interesting this year

Mintz Starling 10-29
Everyone else 20-30

Mintz plays for fouls. I don't particularly like it, but that's what he does. He didn't get calls on several drives he always gets calls on. That was part of the problem.

Red made a ballsy but correct call to give the ball to Copeland in the end and take it out of his leading scorers hands.

Starling was the guy I thought had a bad second half. He got where he wanted to go in the first half, but didn't seem to want to go aggressively go the hoop in the second half even though the game called for it. He did a lot more ball handling than he usually does against a team that was pressing so maybe he was tired?

Good observations, General. This surprised me, so I rewatched a condensed version of the 2nd half on YouTube. NCST rotated 5 different players on Bell in the 2nd half, at least in the series of plays they showed in the condensed version. I didn't notice that during the live game. I recall the analyst saying that NCST was using a big on Bell, so I don't doubt your take about who was guarding him most of the time.

Do the players wear gps trackers under their unis? Any idea how many miles Bell runs vis a vis Mintz or Starling?

Curious to read what plays people want us to run for Bell. I said this a few weeks ago, but he’s good at pop a shot. We tried to run some action for him early in the 2nd half and he missed pretty badly. He’s not Andy Rautins. He’s not going to make a lot coming off down screens on the move.
Forget a lot, try 0. His game is sit in the corner, or wing and shoot a set shot. Kid has hops and athleticism, but he doesn’t even dribble well. At the end of last season and the beginning of this, he was working a little with a mid range and I thought expanding his game.
He can shoot no doubt, but only if it’s a corner or wing set shot.

Mintz Starling 10-29
Everyone else 20-30

Mintz Starling were 5 for 17 in the second half. Barf
Everyone else 6 for 11
The everyone else had to be all Copeland and a Taylor put back.

Starling has zero left hand. NC State kept funneling him that way. If he goes left it’s going to be a contested mid range shot or some wild shot back to his right.

Once Mintz goes to the basket he’s going up with it no matter how many guys are on him with the hopes of drawing contact. He didn’t get many calls last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom