Draymond Green NOT a Red fan | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Draymond Green NOT a Red fan

Bell can’t make moving shots with feet diagonal like he attempted. He makes when he’s set and barely jumps.

But he could have been a decoy or passed to others.

For that, Draymond is right. And it is a coaching issue.

I want to share something Draymond doesn't know. I'm surprised nobody seems to be mentioning it.

NC St is a team that plays 3 guards and 2 bigs. The first half they were guarding Bell with one of the guards, and he went 8-8 from 3 because he set his feet, and with his height and quick release, just shot right over the top of the smaller defender.

In the second half NC St put their PF on Bell, who is their best shot blocker by far. They thought they could do that because our only PF got kicked off the team, so they didn't need him to cover anyone big. The power forward never helped, never left Bell's side.

There was a trade off. Copeland had the smaller guard on him, and Copeland abused him down low in the second half without a shot blocker around the rim to get in his way. So we did make NC St pay for the switch.

I dont claim to know more about basketball than Draymond Green, but I bet I watch SU a lot more than he does. Trying to run Bell off screens (a skill he does not possess) with a big shot blocker in his face would have been playing right into NC St's hands. Making that little guard defend us down low with their best shot blocker out at the 3 point line covering Bell seems like a good adjustment to me.
Bingo we have a winner! Spot on post.

I want to share something Draymond doesn't know. I'm surprised nobody seems to be mentioning it.

NC St is a team that plays 3 guards and 2 bigs. The first half they were guarding Bell with one of the guards, and he went 8-8 from 3 because he set his feet, and with his height and quick release, just shot right over the top of the smaller defender.

In the second half NC St put their PF on Bell, who is their best shot blocker by far. They thought they could do that because our only PF got kicked off the team, so they didn't need him to cover anyone big. The power forward never helped, never left Bell's side.

There was a trade off. Copeland had the smaller guard on him, and Copeland abused him down low in the second half without a shot blocker around the rim to get in his way. So we did make NC St pay for the switch.

I dont claim to know more about basketball than Draymond Green, but I bet I watch SU a lot more than he does. Trying to run Bell off screens (a skill he does not possess) with a big shot blocker in his face would have been playing right into NC St's hands. Making that little guard defend us down low with their best shot blocker out at the 3 point line covering Bell seems like a good adjustment to me.
Really good post

Draymond Green Is no prize nor should he be someone to criticize others!​

He is a thug, his history, in The NBA, demonstrates this.
IMO, critiques of our coaches and players are more meaningful when the source is someone I respect.

wouldve been nice to have seen them run bell as the screener on a ball screen to see if they could get a quick switch

Perfect response from Griffin to Draymond’s tweets.

Absolutely perfect.

Agreed.
Go ahead & give an opinion on how great Bell was shooting and trying to get him more shots, but Green has no clue on his strengths, weaknesses, and/or defensive adjustments by NCState.
Fact is, Bell does not shoot nearly as well coming off screens, and if Green had watched the 20+ other games we've played, and not just the 20 mins of that one, he'd know that. It was basically a "look-at-me" cheap shot against the coaches. Not surprising for a stella statesman like Draymond Green.

this is actually a great thread. Lots of good points. Not often does this happen.

Griffin's response is very telling as well

this is actually a great thread. Lots of good points. Not often does this happen.

Griffin's response is very telling as well

A compelling thread for sure.

I find hoopsupstate's initial post in this tread (#28) rather intriguing. It has detail and technical aspects to it, which, I don't think, anyone has been able to refute, however, possibly I overlooked?

I find myself agreeing with the his premise that you just can't concede to your best shooter not getting any shots. Yes, State countered at half, which the coaches 100% had to expect/anticipate they were going to do, but what would be our counter to their counter? A little more of chess where you always need to be thinking ahead, versus more checkers like I guess.

Any one paying attention knows what Bell's main strength is, along with his weaknesses. Most aren't suggesting we should have been running him off screens a la Rautins, Cooney, etc. But seemingly nothing?

As others have stated here and in other threads, our offense was quite bad in the second half, and in a full 20 minute half where Bell played all 20 minutes, somehow, someway, I think it can be reasonably argued that our coaches should've been able to free up Bell for more than just 2 shots.

IMO, it's a bit convenient to simply dismiss Green's comments without any degree of merit, etc. We all realized that there would be growing pains with Red as a first year head coach, so acknowledging a weakness in a partiular situation, etc. of his inaugural year, one in which he needs to improve upon, etc. is not a diss, it's just what it is.

Last edited:
This is what it's suppose to look like, off the dribble, multiple screens, ton of movement, High High motor. Lot of good stuff in here. Screen at the top of the key is lethal. This is how you get shots but the kid is CONSTANTLTLY moving and working to get open. Don't shoot the messenger and I am a Pelicans fan so I now root for Hawk and really impressed with his game at the NBA level. Needs to get stronger on defense. He's played patchy minutes but has had some really nice games on the offensive end. Plays hard

Jordan Hawkins

Last edited:
This is what it's suppose to look like, off the dribble, multiple screens, ton of movement, High High motor. Lot of good stuff in here. This is how you get shots but the kid is CONSTANTLTLY moving and working to get open. Don't shoot the messenger

Jordan Hawkins
Our guys don't set screens for eachother and they don't move. I guess praying to get open is just as good as working toward getting open.

I have a quibble with this. Watch how many times Maliq screens the next game and does not get the ball.
You mean when he picks on the ball? That's not what I mean.

Our guys don't set screens for eachother and they don't move. I guess praying to get open is just as good as working toward getting open.
My whole point, is this is how hard really good shooters have to work to get open, not just the shooter but the team as well. And many of those shots are in tight windows and they go up quick. His footwork is incredible. You can tell he's put a ton of time in.

Bell would be so gassed after 2-3 trips down the floor at that rate and he also does not have this in his game. Girard in really good shape would have been more capable of this than Bell. Not really a fair comparison to either as Hawkins was the 14th pick in the draft.

He also screened off the ball for Bell against NC State. Both times Bell got it he shot it. He was open on the one he missed in the second half.
I was on a plane, so I missed that game. It's good that he is setting screens to try to get shooters open. I haven't seen it all year. Bell is still learning how to play basketball. Hopefully he learns how his shooting can open up other players.

This is how hard really good shooters have to work to get open, not just the shooter but the team as well. And many of those shots are in tight windows and they go up quick. His footwork is incredible. You can tell he's put a ton of time in.

Bell would be so gassed after 2-3 trips down the floor at that rate and he also does not have this in his game. Not really a fair comparison as Hawkins was the 14th pick in the draft.
Choppa is.

This is what it's suppose to look like, off the dribble, multiple screens, ton of movement, High High motor. Lot of good stuff in here. Screen at the top of the key is lethal. This is how you get shots but the kid is CONSTANTLTLY moving and working to get open. Don't shoot the messenger and I am a Pelicans fan so I now root for Hawk and really impressed with his game at the NBA level. Needs to get stronger on defense. He's played patchy minutes but has had some really nice games on the offensive end. Plays hard

Jordan Hawkins
This was good too (watched this a month ago not knowing who he was - video won't embed, guys follow link - good channel)

Being a 40% catch and shoot guy is damn good even if you can't free yourself like Hawkins

A compelling thread for sure.

I find hoopsupstate's initial post in this tread (#28) rather intriguing. It has detail and technical aspects to it, which, I don't think, anyone has been able to refute, however, possibly I overlooked?

I find myself agreeing with the his premise that you just can't concede to your best shooter not getting any shots. Yes, State countered at half, which the coaches 100% had to expect/anticipate they were going to do, but what would be our counter to their counter? A little more of chess where you always need to be thinking ahead, versus more checkers like I guess.

Any one paying attention knows what Bell's main strength is, along with his weaknesses. Most aren't suggesting we should have been running him off screens a la Rautins, Cooney, etc. But seemingly nothing?

As others have stated here and in other threads, our offense was quite bad in the second half, and in a full 20 minute half where Bell played all 20 minutes, somehow, someway, I think it can be reasonably argued that our coaches should've been able to free up Bell for more than just 2 shots.

I have a bit of a problem with this. Okay Bell is our best shooter, but he averages 11 ppg. Our offense does not revolve around getting him shots at all costs. It never has and it never should.

Our offense revolves around Mintz, Starling, and Copeland driving to the basket.

Bell's job on this team is to knock down shots when guys help off him and when he's open. When he's not left open that's one fewer guy to get in the way of the guards we rely on to drive the ball to the basket. In the second half, not only was Bell never left open, but he had NC St's best shot blocker covering him, making it easier for Mintz, Starling, and Copeland to get to the hoop.

Now, you can say those guys didn't do enough with the opening they had. That's fair. Starling was the only guy I thought played bad. But arguing that the coaching staff failed by not turning our third or fourth scoring option who is a good spot up shooter, but who not good at anything else, into some kind of unguardable force seems silly to me.

Our offense revolves around Mintz, Starling, and Copeland driving to the basket.
KenPom AdjO rank: 110
2024 Efficiency Rankings: 124
EvanMiya OBPR: 117

It's not a very efficient offense. Works occasionally, but completely disappears too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom