Draymond Green NOT a Red fan | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Draymond Green NOT a Red fan

I have a bit of a problem with this. Okay Bell is our best shooter, but he averages 11 ppg. Our offense does not revolve around getting him shots at all costs. It never has and it never should.

Our offense revolves around Mintz, Starling, and Copeland driving to the basket.

Bell's job on this team is to knock down shots when guys help off him and when he's open. When he's not left open that's one fewer guy to get in the way of the guards we rely on to drive the ball to the basket. In the second half, not only was Bell never left open, but he had NC St's best shot blocker covering him, making it easier for Mintz, Starling, and Copeland to get to the hoop.

Now, you can say those guys didn't do enough with the opening they had. That's fair. Starling was the only guy I thought played bad. But arguing that the coaching staff failed by not turning our third or fourth scoring option who is a good spot up shooter, but who not good at anything else, into some kind of unguardable force seems silly to me.

You're an excellent poster here and well respected and I appreciate the knowledge you bring to your posts.

Bell is a starter. Copeland comes off the bench. For argument sake, even if your view that the offense revolves around the aforementioned from the broader scope, it doesn't mean that an adaption based upon the particular situation playing out in real time isn't best in the moment.

Bell was white hot 8-8 in the first half; Bell only had two shots in the second half. Good, solid, experienced coaches make the necessary adjustments as the situation dictates. In my view, I'll stand by the sentiment that another very respected, knowledgeable poster in hoopsupstate opined.

KenPom AdjO rank: 110
2024 Efficiency Rankings: 124
EvanMiya OBPR: 117

It's not a very efficient offense. Works occasionally, but completely disappears too.

Exactly.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a problem with this. Okay Bell is our best shooter, but he averages 11 ppg. Our offense does not revolve around getting him shots at all costs. It never has and it never should.

Our offense revolves around Mintz, Starling, and Copeland driving to the basket.

Bell's job on this team is to knock down shots when guys help off him and when he's open. When he's not left open that's one fewer guy to get in the way of the guards we rely on to drive the ball to the basket. In the second half, not only was Bell never left open, but he had NC St's best shot blocker covering him, making it easier for Mintz, Starling, and Copeland to get to the hoop.

Now, you can say those guys didn't do enough with the opening they had. That's fair. Starling was the only guy I thought played bad. But arguing that the coaching staff failed by not turning our third or fourth scoring option who is a good spot up shooter, but who not good at anything else, into some kind of unguardable force seems silly to me.
Mostly agree but there are so many bad long twos taken by the guys we want going to the basket

If Bell doesn't get shots because guards are finishing at the hoop, fine. If bell doesn't get twenty two footers because starling and mintz are taking eighteen footers, that's not just taking what the defense gives

When was the last time Syracuse ran plays? To be honest I've only watched like 4 games this year so maybe they are now but I just remember a decade plus of one on one.
That isn’t true. They run plays every game and have for decades. But they’re not particularly creative and the players don’t always execute them well. So then it moves to iso when the screens don’t work. We need more continuous motion after the sets don’t work.

Last edited:
Forget a lot, try 0. His game is sit in the corner, or wing and shoot a set shot. Kid has hops and athleticism, but he doesn’t even dribble well. At the end of last season and the beginning of this, he was working a little with a mid range and I thought expanding his game.
He can shoot no doubt, but only if it’s a corner or wing set shot.
We ran Bell off a pin down screen in the first half and he got the ball and nailed a three from the top of the key. I get that he shoots better when he’s stationary and set, but it’s not like he can’t hit shots off of screening actions. I assume shooting off screens is something Bell and the coaches will work hard on in the offseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom