Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

I believe Coach Daoust sees him as a 3-tech or NT.
For anyone here with a better football IQ than me: who else is a viable 3-tech for us? Slayton? Are Raymon or Williams fast enough for the role?

For anyone here with a better football IQ than me: who else is a viable 3-tech for us? Slayton? Are Raymon or Williams fast enough for the role?

Cool term...gave me a chance to learn new things:

3 Technique or 3 Tech: Typically the left defensive tackle. The 3 technique tackle almost exclusively plays a single gap, the B, 3, 4 or 3-4 gaps between the offensive guard and offensive tackle. The term is used interchangeably meaning either the position itself, or the typical traits of the position: fast first step, ability to shed blockers, ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage, ability to create inside pressure and ability to sack the quarterback.​

Link

I think that if Coach Daoust says that Steven's ready, then I'm good with it. Steven's certainly preparing himself to be ready for the fall; he's working the S&C plan mailed to him last week, and he's already made good gains.
With the lack of depth at DT, I think he and the team will benefit with some playing time his Freshman year.

I think Tyler Cross would be an excellent 3-tech. In my opinion, out of the DL in the 2015 class, I see Steven as a NT, Tyler Cross and Anthony as DTs, and Jake and the others as DEs.

bcubs...hope you can be our eyes and ears for any recruits in North Bama that might be receptive to coming to Syracuse. Anyone on Steve's HS team that might be D-1 material?

bcubs...hope you can be our eyes and ears for any recruits in North Bama that might be receptive to coming to Syracuse. Anyone on Steve's HS team that might be D-1 material?

Nope.

Well, I take that back. There is a kid who played in 2013, by the name of William Hopper. Didn't play this past season. He'll be a senior next year. Kid was 6'4"ish and 320+ pounds as a sophomore. WKU was slobbering all over him when they came down to see Steven. Unfortunately, Will isn't really enamored with the game of football. And he probably won't be playing next year, either.

There's a QB over in Arab, a rising junior, who's been garnering a lot of attention. I emailed Coach Daoust about him about a week ago.

Is that a Volunteer shirt he's go on? That's the wrong orange!!!!! :p

Steven's going to compete this weekend at the Alabama State Powerlifting Championship; it was moved up a month. Lately, his bench is 4x10 at 275, squat is 4x10 at 455, and power clean is 4x10 at 275. Not sure what that'll translate to on Saturday.

bcubs9497 said:
Steven's going to compete this weekend at the Alabama State Powerlifting Championship; it was moved up a month. Lately, his bench is 4x10 at 275, squat is 4x10 at 455, and power clean is 4x10 at 275. Not sure what that'll translate to on Saturday.

Good luck!

Good luck!! Those are good weights!!

Where is it going to be at, Mobile?

Wish it was a little closer to me as I would probably go. You guys have a good haul going there that is for sure. Honk when you pass Exit 181 on 65, that is exit where I live :)

Will do =D.

Apparently, Brindlee Mountain will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 competitors at this AHSAA event. Steven says that there's a good chance that Brindlee Mountain will win the overall championship. I'll try to take pics and post them.

Something tells me Steven will never have a big problem getting bullied at the line of scrimmage as a freshman or sophomore like a lot of guys do against older offensive linemen.
Something tells me he is going to make some of those older offensive linemen feel very very old, broken down old, and not so offensive!

I think expectations should be tempered. Young Clark will be surprised at the jump in athletic ability, strength and speed of the college game. Everyone on the OL and DL will be just as big, fast, strong and the x factor is the experience. Vets also tend to give a little extra when a greenhorn is trying to take their job or sack the QB.

I think expectations should be tempered. Young Clark will be surprised at the jump in athletic ability, strength and speed of the college game. Everyone on the OL and DL will be just as big, fast, strong and the x factor is the experience. Vets also tend to give a little extra when a greenhorn is trying to take their job or sack the QB.

Agreed. He'll be plenty strong enough, I think. The speed and intensity of the game at the D1 level, though, will be a definite eye-opener. That, and there's no substitute for experience. Will he be able to handle that? Sure. It'll take time, though.

Agreed. He'll be plenty strong enough, I think. The speed and intensity of the game at the D1 level, though, will be a definite eye-opener. That, and there's no substitute for experience. Will he be able to handle that? Sure. It'll take time, though.

the speed and intensity is what makes the rookies say 'holy shoot'. Everything is done 90 mph. He'll do just fine, but like you said, it'll take time, there'll be an adjustment period for sure :)