Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers

I’ll say it again and again and again. I love new style uniforms. I love Oregon’s. I love Maryland’s.

The issue is that our new style uniforms, generally speaking, stink. The all whites are OK. And I love the chrome helmet. But overall, given all the combos, they’re not good. The colors are dull, the styling is inane.

Give me 21st century unis, I don’t need McNabb’s or McPherson’s. Just make them good, not something off the bargain rack from the Beaverton HQ.

And yes, the players dig them in their Insta posts. They’ll like most anything that they consider theirs. Give them something better.

I’m with you here. I simply want one retro per year like all other important programs have. It’s not asking for much. It makes events bigger esp gsmes
Against rivals.

The Retro branding will remind the national media we were a contender once upon a time

it's amazing how hated the uniform subject is yet the university CONTINUALLY posts social media posts about...wait for it...uniforms.

People care about the branding because for many of us, we went there and have some degree of ownership in how the school looks to the outside world. It is secondary to winning obviously but the school has botched this and it pains me because the school has a world class communications school

It's similar to the US News rankings. Alumni SHOULD want the school held in the highest regard and ranking because it looks positive upon all of us.

I’ll say it again and again and again. I love new style uniforms. I love Oregon’s. I love Maryland’s.

The issue is that our new style uniforms, generally speaking, stink. The all whites are OK. And I love the chrome helmet. But overall, given all the combos, they’re not good. The colors are dull, the styling is inane.

Give me 21st century unis, I don’t need McNabb’s or McPherson’s. Just make them good, not something off the bargain rack from the Beaverton HQ.

And yes, the players dig them in their Insta posts. They’ll like most anything that they consider theirs. Give them something better.
Perfectly stated.

You seem upset.
Yeah, because everyone loves getting milquetoast lectures on their posts on message boards, especially when it's from weeks ago.

You can still hit the "ignore users" button. An option that doesn't exist for threads.

it's amazing how hated the uniform subject is yet the university CONTINUALLY posts social media posts about...wait for it...uniforms.

People care about the branding because for many of us, we went there and have some degree of ownership in how the school looks to the outside world. It is secondary to winning obviously but the school has botched this and it pains me because the school has a world class communications school

It's similar to the US News rankings. Alumni SHOULD want the school held in the highest regard and ranking because it looks positive upon all of us.

Yep. To me, uniforms are in the same category as the school nickname, logo, field/court design, etc. It's all part of the brand and presentation.

When SU went to an orange and MAROON color seal during the last Chancellor's regime it pissed me off. Why? Because MAROON is not an SU color (and spare me the "actually Scooch, our only official color is orange, even blue isn't official..." -- We've been using blue as our accent color for generations).

When SU could not come up with a unified logo after they ditched the 80s-style S it pissed me off. Because it was amateurish using a half-dozen different "logos" with no rhyme or reason.

When SU was going to replace Otto the Orange with a wolf and change our name to Orange Pack it pissed me off. Because... a wolf? How freakin' original.

So, yeah. Anyone who doesn't care is welcome to not care. I care.

So, yeah. Anyone who doesn't care is shortsighted and wrong. I care.

Fixed.

Nike, with plenty of help from SU, has failed to enhance SU's brand for years. It's indefensible.

Perfectly stated.

I'll say it again.

The uniforms are horrible because: (1) they provide no branding value; (2) they distance the program from its glory years and (3) they're god-awful ugly.

The reality is that we look like every other program that has gone the gimmick uniform route - everybody has the all white look, and the platinum look and for the teams with orange as a color, the variety of Oklahoma State looks.

Yeah, because everyone loves getting milquetoast lectures on their posts on message boards, especially when it's from weeks ago.

You can still hit the "ignore users" button. An option that doesn't exist for threads.

I guess I just don't understand the anger.

This is a discussion board.

If folks want to talk about uniforms, this is the place to do it.

And the fact is that uniforms are important these days - otherwise we wouldn't see all of the attempts by the manufacturers to create new and unusual looks.

And we would not have writers who specialize in uniforms.

And we would not have the NFL presenting a special uniform for Thursday night games.

We have the dynamic of well-established programs like Auburn, Texas, Alabama, USC and Penn State maintaining their traditional uniform versus lesser programs like the MAC schools and Illinois, Indiana, Syracuse and many other mediocre programs trying to carve out the kind of niche that Oregon created.

So, it is interesting to many on this board.

I happen to find it interesting and I happen to feel very strongly that Syracuse University has ruined its brand in part by dumping the classic and beautiful Coach Mac look.

If that bothers you, don't read what I have to say or what anybody else has to say on the topic.

Pretty simple solution in my mind

I guess I just don't understand the anger.

This is a discussion board.

If folks want to talk about uniforms, this is the place to do it.

And the fact is that uniforms are important these days - otherwise we wouldn't see all of the attempts by the manufacturers to create new and unusual looks.

And we would not have writers who specialize in uniforms.

And we would not have the NFL presenting a special uniform for Thursday night games.

We have the dynamic of well-established programs like Auburn, Texas, Alabama, USC and Penn State maintaining their traditional uniform versus lesser programs like the MAC schools and Illinois, Indiana, Syracuse and many other mediocre programs trying to carve out the kind of niche that Oregon created.

So, it is interesting to many on this board.

I happen to find it interesting and I happen to feel very strongly that Syracuse University has ruined its brand in part by dumping the classic and beautiful Coach Mac look.

If that bothers you, don't read what I have to say or what anybody else has to say on the topic.

Pretty simple solution in my mind
I haven't read this thread since I made a joke post until you decided I needed to be lectured. I could care less what the team wears and do not participate in these discussions.

The old uniforms suck. I hope they never come back.
These new uniforms suck more.
The numerals on blue jersey are hard to read from the stands.
They are trashy.
The best ones is the all white look and that isn’t Syracuse football.
They finally got an orange jersey and still just can’t create a clean looking jersey.

I have no problem with new uniforms they should just be clean numerals and have the proper colors.

The uniforms we wore in 2005 were good change.
syr-05-whiteorange-andyaltenburger-675x380.jpg

The old uniforms suck. I hope they never come back.

I just want a retro uniform once a year like 100 other colleges out there. Seems to be a reasonable ask

They are trashy.
They finally got an orange jersey and still just can’t create a clean looking jersey.

I have no problem with new uniforms they should just be clean numerals and have the proper colors.

Those were really cool. It's a shame that everyone associates them with losing, because it's a strong "Syracuse" look.

They are trashy.

10920995-large.jpg

I have Nick's game worn jersey hanging in my man cave, these were really nice looking.

So you think that the school is putting out pictures of uniforms for us...the fans. Ones that I am sure have sent many emails berating the uniform choices.

Or, would it make more sense that they are putting them out there for the kids and recruits...that have stated that they like them. Interesting.

I'll say it again.

The uniforms are horrible because: (1) they provide no branding value; (2) they distance the program from its glory years and (3) they're god-awful ugly.

The reality is that we look like every other program that has gone the gimmick uniform route - everybody has the all white look, and the platinum look and for the teams with orange as a color, the variety of Oklahoma State looks.

to you

Give me that for road games, give me this for home games:

Ryan+Nassib+New+Era+Pinstripe+Bowl+Kansas+5N9yM6zvg7ql.jpg

and call it a day.

Yes, and again it's not even a close call.

What you have posted has it all - tradition, branding and an exquisite look.