Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers

I haven't read this thread since I made a joke post until you decided I needed to be lectured. I could care less what the team wears and do not participate in these discussions.

Oh.

Sorry.

I didn't realize it was a joke post.

Ha! Funny!

Give me that for road games, give me this for home games:

Ryan+Nassib+New+Era+Pinstripe+Bowl+Kansas+5N9yM6zvg7ql.jpg

and call it a day.
To me this looks like Syracuse football. The ones they wear now, not so much.

I don’t recall if I told this story before (I think I did but it’s not like everything else in this thread hasn’t been said before ;) ), but I was helping a semi-pro football team a little ways back and they were redesigning their uniforms. Their redesign was identical to our unis. I tried to warn them, I really did. I know context is everything (as in, may have worked for their brand) but I assured them that I could show them (probably) thousands of complaints about that exact style.

Dunno what they ended up doing. I bounced when I started getting sketchy vibes and they eventually folded due to some money issues (read: internal theft and missing money).

What I find funny is that our hoops unis have been similar for several years, they are really basic, and once we stopped using the silver numbers there has been very few complaints.

Meanwhile recruiting has been generally great for years and no one is worrying that the kids aren’t posting about FIRE unis on the Gram.

Not sure why football has to have junk unis when hoops does quite fine with block letters and simple color schemes.

What I find funny is that our hoops unis have been similar for several years, they are really basic, and once we stopped using the silver numbers there has been very few complaints.

Meanwhile recruiting has been generally great for years and no one is worrying that the kids aren’t posting about FIRE unis on the Gram.

Not sure why football has to have junk unis when hoops does quite fine with block letters and simple color schemes.
It's no coincidence our recruiting has been worse since we got rid of the gray...

Although... they are diggin the cleats on the Gram currently.

It is nice to be able to read the numbers on the SU BB uniforms.

Or, boring Nike template look that most fans wouldn't identify with SU if you took off the logos.

If you're suggesting that the Coach Mac uniform was not identifiable with Syracuse Football, I think you're quite wrong.

I think it was/is a terrific brand for the Program and was/is immediately identifiable.

In fact, the classic uniform has no logo - and that is the brand.

The constant shuffling of the look flies in the face of branding. It renders the product unidentifiable.

Although... they are diggin the cleats on the Gram currently.

Cleats looks great.

Which reinforces my point. Nothing wrong with new gear. We don’t need to look like 1987. It’s just that our current uni scheme is trash. I trust we’ll fix it.

Those are sweet, i love the gear these kids are given, they seriously recieve some sweet duds head to toe. To the point that they don't need a wardrobe. They could exist in SU gear everyday. Just another perk for the pro , hey! The players should be paid! Yea, right.

If you're suggesting that the Coach Mac uniform was not identifiable with Syracuse Football, I think you're quite wrong.

I think it was/is a terrific brand for the Program and was/is immediately identifiable.

The constant shuffling of the look flies in the face of branding. It renders the product unidentifiable.

Our current look lacks the proper orange and might even look good with proper numbers with white borders. The retro McNabb loom would be nice once a year as a throwback like MLB does.

I could almost live with the current unis, if for the numbers they used any other font than Comic Sans. :rolleyes:

Our desire to shift the branding after Pasqualoni left has sent our look into a tailspin for essentially 15 years now. We have had some identifiable looks within that period but the desire to become something else once Gross took over has set us back a generation.

I'd give anything to simply have the uniforms from 2004 back in the fold (even the hideous Orange ones). We lost our ability to brand the football team and apparently contracted ourselves out of design changes (since we have stayed w these uniforms for multiple years now).

Orange is the new fast and farce w the uniforms. Hopefully this is righted soon.

RIP Walter.

fb2004_10_09.jpg

it's amazing how hated the uniform subject is yet the university CONTINUALLY posts social media posts about...wait for it...uniforms.

People care about the branding because for many of us, we went there and have some degree of ownership in how the school looks to the outside world. It is secondary to winning obviously but the school has botched this and it pains me because the school has a world class communications school

It's similar to the US News rankings. Alumni SHOULD want the school held in the highest regard and ranking because it looks positive upon all of us.

Or... The school is balancing the opinions of older fans that want tradition and that of players and younger fans.

As an alumni, I’m not so selfish to think my opinion is the only thing that matters.

Or... The school is balancing the opinions of older fans that want tradition and that of players and younger fans.

As an alumni, I’m not so selfish to think my opinion is the only thing that matters.

neither am i. I'm just voicing my opinion. i think the simple fix is a retro uniform. that's something that is a win win for the merchandise guys at Mannys, the old timers like myself who like the traditional look, and the new fans who can feel like they are rooting for a big boy program with multiple uniform styles.

I haven't seen a post by a recruit or player on here stating that they like the unis. Can you link to that post as I would like to know what the player said about them...thanks

Well, we see them all posing in the new unis when they come for official visits.
I haven't seen one frowning and saying 'what is this shirt?' yet.

I guess I just don't understand the anger.

This is a discussion board.

If folks want to talk about uniforms, this is the place to do it.

And the fact is that uniforms are important these days - otherwise we wouldn't see all of the attempts by the manufacturers to create new and unusual looks.

And we would not have writers who specialize in uniforms.

And we would not have the NFL presenting a special uniform for Thursday night games.

We have the dynamic of well-established programs like Auburn, Texas, Alabama, USC and Penn State maintaining their traditional uniform versus lesser programs like the MAC schools and Illinois, Indiana, Syracuse and many other mediocre programs trying to carve out the kind of niche that Oregon created.

So, it is interesting to many on this board.

I happen to find it interesting and I happen to feel very strongly that Syracuse University has ruined its brand in part by dumping the classic and beautiful Coach Mac look.

If that bothers you, don't read what I have to say or what anybody else has to say on the topic.

Pretty simple solution in my mind

I think the bottom line with Nike these past few years is that the kids who play on the team seem to like them, and that's great. But I don't see many of these being worn by people in the community. They can't be selling nearly as well as a consistent, classic look would sell.

I’ll split the difference. I don’t need to see a return to our 80s and 90s style unis. But the current ones are trash. Both things can be true.

I agree. I have yet to see a silver, white or blue jersey with the ugly as numbers anywhere in the community. You might see a few of them at games, but not so much walking around town.