Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Ducking lightening strikes from the uniform truthers

I've finally put my finger on what was missing in my life - a uniform thread!!
Even though everything has been said, seconded, and overwhelmingly approved, the fact remains that the Orangemen run out of the tunnel in midnight blue, platinum, or whatever material Nike has leftover in their warehouse.
My correspondence with AD Wildhack indicates he hates the current situation but doesn't see how we can get out of it until 2019. What, in the name of Frank Maloney, did we get into with this contract?

So we are stuck with the current uniform through next season? That sucks. When you say Wildhack hates the situation, do you think we try to go with UA?

I generally like Nike uniforms the best. It just looks like they threw something together when they came to Syracuse.

Has Wildhack commented on the uniforms or does anyone at school care. I have to think it impacts their sales that I see no one wearing these uniforms.

Also does anyone know what it takes to add a retro or did that have to be in original contract

I find this all baffling

Exactly! That's the point I was making earlier. I don't see anyone wearing these new uniform jerseys around town. That's costing the university money in merchandise revenues. Wake up and make the uniform jerseys that people want to buy. It doesn't have to be this hard to make decisions. Tell Nike the crap they've been making isn't selling and demand better. Who runs this relationship? Aren't WE the customer?

"Hates" was my choice of words. What he replied to me was that he recognizes how much some people dislike the uniforms and that he will address the situation when the current contract runs out after this season. I take that to mean that we'll get a better representation of Orangemen than we currently have.

Exactly! That's the point I was making earlier. I don't see anyone wearing these new uniform jerseys around town. That's costing the university money in merchandise revenues. Wake up and make the uniform jerseys that people want to buy. It doesn't have to be this hard to make decisions. Tell Nike the crap they've been making isn't selling and demand better. Who runs this relationship? Aren't WE the customer?

I’m sick of hearing that the players like them too. They are not buying them and are not coming here because of them.

I’m sick of hearing that the players like them too. They are not buying them and are not coming here because of them.

I will give them this much - I do like the white ones with the blue and orange accents. They look pretty sharp. But the grey, the blue with the unreadable numbers and the orange ones all look like crap to me.

And I do like some of the helmet designs they've come up with.

Nike makes a million things that say Syracuse so doubt the jersey is the driver. I could be wrong but as I understand it we're locked into what we have until we have a new deal with Nike (after this season.)

Nike makes a million things that say Syracuse so doubt the jersey is the driver. I could be wrong but as I understand it we're locked into what we have until we have a new deal with Nike (after this season.)

The weird thing is, we've been with Nike for awhile, and during the early Gross years we changed uniforms just about every year. It seemed like it was his personal fashion show, although I don't really know the story.

What makes this particular version so locked in?

The weird thing is, we've been with Nike for awhile, and during the early Gross years we changed uniforms just about every year. It seemed like it was his personal fashion show, although I don't really know the story.

What makes this particular version so locked in?

Who knows what TGD signed...(well the ones that do speak badly of it).

We're clearly on a Nike gerbil wheel with other programs that have similar crappy looks. UNC's stuff was equally awful. Maybe their Jordan thing helped fix that (and made their players a few extra shillings to boot).

Miami has gone back to its 1980s basic Jersey with just modern differences like adding a new black alternative uniform.

All Nike should do is modernize our old look it shouldn’t be too hard.

WAIT! Someone on this forum said they're not coming here because of the uniforms!? Well whoever said that must have their head so far down in the sand they went blind eons ago and "should be kicked so hard they'd be wearing their a$$ for a hat." Wear the uniforms and Win – if they did, it wouldn't matter if they played nude.

Personally I don't think our colors work very well for football uniforms no matter the design.

Capture.0.jpeg

DaGgLX2VwAAp2yw

Is Nike seriously this lazy? I mean they have the same colors and numerals. The only “difference” is their numerals aren’t at 44 degree angles.

This is unbelievable. Wake up SUAD and just demand Nike atleast give us our own brand.
They're not making uniforms for Illinois or Syracuse, they're making uniforms for Nike.

Hate it. Wish the AD had more pull here, this is pathetic.

They're not making uniforms for Illinois or Syracuse, they're making uniforms for Nike.

Hate it. Wish the AD had more pull here, this is pathetic.

Back when these uniforms came into existence didn’t we have an Assistant AD who was extremely close to Phil K? She’s now at Santa Clara as the AD. When she was hired from Oregon that was one of the info nuggets that got everyone excited. We all hoped we were going to get better treatment by Nike.

Edit: Renee Baumgartner

Last edited:

UVA got new uniforms. Why not us.
Is Nike even trying? These UVA's blow,too. At least they get white #'s.

If you're not Oregon, or a top 25 team, It looks like to you get to pick from their high school practice squad collection.

Some of the old Cuse Uni's were damn near perfect. While I may prefer the Uni Nassib was wearing (posted, updated 60's), and others the Mcnabb era, etc. blah blah... I feel like we all went from eating prime rib to leftover, then frozen and microwaved McDonalds...

Uni threads suck. I think Nike intentionally gives "poor" teams, poor unis, to get the fan base talking about nike. They suck. They are the ramen noodle of college football uniforms.(without the flavor pack).. They literally spend less than 25 cents of effort "trying".

Last edited:
Is Nike even trying? These UVA's blow,too. At least they get white #'s.

If you're not Oregon, or a top 25 team, It looks like to you get to pick from their high school practice squad collection.

Some of the old Cuse Uni's were damn near perfect. While I may prefer the Uni Nassib was wearing (posted, updated 60's), and others the Mcnabb era, etc. blah blah... I feel like we all went from eating prime rib to leftover, then frozen and microwaved McDonalds...

Uni threads suck. I think Nike intentionally gives "poor" teams, poor unis, to get the fan base talking about nike. They suck. They are the ramen noodle of college football uniforms.(without the flavor pack).. They literally spend less than 25 cents of effort "trying".

Uni threads suck. But they go on and on...people must be interested in the subject.

So Nike gave Illinois our unis only with better numbers.
Well that’s just great.

Uni threads suck. But they go on and on...people must be interested in the subject.

We care about things people try to convince themselves we don’t care about like uniforms, Rutgers, P, dome renovations and alignment

They suck, because if nike gave us half decent Uni's, we wouldn't need to have so many. ;-)

We care about things people try to convince themselves we don’t care about like uniforms, Rutgers, P, dome renovations and alignment
Fair enough. But which one of those items is not like the others? SOME SU fans “care” about Rutgers to alleviate boredom or as a form of comic relief. Anyone who obsesses over Rutgers for anyone other than that, has some serious issues. JMHO