Duel Threat QB / Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Duel Threat QB / Next Year

G

GoCuse44

I think one of the biggest problems the SU program has is the fact they do not have a QB that can make plays with his feet when receivers are covered down field or the pocket begins to collapse. Nassib looks lost in these situations and 95% of the time he simply holds onto the ball and takes a sack. I am really confused by the fact that Marrone refuses to use Kinder to run the wildcat, run the option, and/or bring him in the game just to change things up for a play or two.

What scares the hell out of me is that Marrone is one of many hard headed football coaches who refuses to change QB's during a game no matter how bad his starter is playing. I think that question will be answered next year. Will he use Nassib every play out of fear of creating a QB controversy or will he let Hunt get some snaps under center? I hopes it's the latter because the last thing we need to do is join the ACC with a QB who has never taken a snap at the D1 level. Only time will tell.

I don't know much about Hunt but I sure hope he is duel threat QB of the future because I don't think SU will ever have the type of talent on the OL and WR that will allow Marrone to run his pro style offense with a pure pocket passer. He compares his offense to the Green Bay Packers but they are loaded with skill players at WR, TE, and the OL but even their QB has enough foot speed to pick-up 5 or 10 yards when a play breaks down.

Don't get me wrong I am a big time Marrone supporte. I attended every luncheon and have missed football one game in the Dome in the last 20 years but the most disappointing thing is that Marrone put this team back on the map by beating WVU. This team had a chance to crack the Top 25 but in the last two weeks they regressed in every phase of the game. Why ?????

In my opinion (which means nothing:D) the loss to UConn was inexcusable because they are one the only teams in the Big East where the Cuse has an advantage in terms of talent.

I think one of the biggest problems the SU program has is the fact they do not have a QB that can make plays with his feet when receivers are covered down field or the pocket begins to collapse. Nassib looks lost in these situations and 95% of the time he simply holds onto the ball and takes a sack. I am really confused by the fact that Marrone refuses to use Kinder to run the wildcat, run the option, and/or bring him in the game just to change things up for a play or two.

What scares the hell out of me is that Marrone is one of many hard headed football coaches who refuses to change QB's during a game no matter how bad his starter is playing. I think that question will be answered next year. Will he use Nassib every play out of fear of creating a QB controversy or will he let Hunt get some snaps under center? I hopes it's the latter because the last thing we need to do is join the ACC with a QB who has never taken a snap at the D1 level. Only time will tell.

I don't know much about Hunt but I sure hope he is duel threat QB of the future because I don't think SU will ever have the type of talent on the OL and WR that will allow Marrone to run his pro style offense with a pure pocket passer. He compares his offense to the Green Bay Packers but they are loaded with skill players at WR, TE, and the OL but even their QB has enough foot speed to pick-up 5 or 10 yards when a play breaks down.

Don't get me wrong I am a big time Marrone supporte. I attended every luncheon and have missed football one game in the Dome in the last 20 years but the most disappointing thing is that Marrone put this team back on the map by beating WVU. This team had a chance to crack the Top 25 but in the last two weeks they regressed in every phase of the game. Why ?????

In my opinion (which means nothing:D) the loss to UConn was inexcusable because they are one the only teams in the Big East where the Cuse has an advantage in terms of talent.
We need Kinder or maybe even Hunt NOW, not next year. The reason is that either QB, because they have running ability, would change the character of the offensive over night.

Any HC that changes QBs mid game is either a bad HC or has two shitty QBs. It should never be done. This isn't MLB where you bring in the relief pitcher. This is a silly post.

Ashton Broyld ... let him take his lumps (but he won't be in until 2013 ... 2012 is all Nassib)

Any HC that changes QBs mid game is either a bad HC or has two shitty QBs. It should never be done. This isn't MLB where you bring in the relief pitcher. This is a silly post.

Don't tell that to Les Miles or, dare I say, Coach P.

I tend to agree with you though. More times than not messing around with the QB does more harm than good.

I take it you missed the LSU-Alabama game last night. lol

Kinder IMHO will not play other than a Doug Womack type situation while here. Hopefully Broyld or Hunt will be the answer in the future. I hope they both push Nassib in '12.

Don't tell that to Les Miles or, dare I say, Coach P.

I tend to agree with you though. More times than not messing around with the QB does more harm than good.

Coach P handles QBs awfully. He should have picked McCummings before the season started and stuck with him. Miles the situation is different. Kid was suspended and is now working his way back in. They would have one QB if that did not happen.

The elusive "dual threat QB" has become the new "power back" that's going to solve all of our offensive ills.

Guess what? Smith and AAM are getting carries like everyone clamored for. Hasn't helped. Kinder and Hunt get snaps at some point? Smart money is on it not really helping.

Until we spread things out, pick up the pace and get better play from the OL we're probably not getting much better on offense.

A lot of fans keep looking for the next wunderkind. Last year everyone was excited about Kinder. Now, not much talk about him, because everyone's excited about Hunt. Everyone was super stoked about AAM this season - he looks like just another freshman that's not ready to make a big impact. I'm sure next season all our hopes and dreams will hang on Broyld, MacFarlane and Cornelius.

People argue whether it's talent or system, and I'm sad to say I don't believe it's a debate of either/or. Both need improvement. It's Marrone's job to improve it.

Coach P handles QBs awfully. He should have picked McCummings before the season started and stuck with him. Miles the situation is different. Kid was suspended and is now working his way back in. They would have one QB if that did not happen.

Besides LSU only scored 9 points ... Jefferson and Lee aren't exactly world beaters I don't care what anyone says.

Kinder IMHO will not play other than a Doug Womack type situation while here. Hopefully Broyld or Hunt will be the answer in the future. I hope they both push Nassib in '12.
I have no insider information, but I think if we're honestly looking for a true freshman and a redshirt freshman to not just unseat a 5th year senior 2 year starting QB but also be clearly better than him in their first on field exposure to BCS level football... we're pretty much boned.

Oklahoma plays 2 QB's too. And look at them, losers! ;)

Not to nitpick but I think you mean dual.
I am still hal awake after going to the UConn game, driving home, and attending the Crunch game. Should have used spell check. :eek:

I will take either of these shitty head coaches (Les Miles and Steve Steve Spurrier). :)
The #1 team in the country is playing two QB's !!!! If its good enough for LSU I think it would be good enough for SU.

The Sporting News: Meanwhile, the top-ranked Tigers are fine-tuning their offense with Jarrett Lee and Jordan Jefferson calling the shots. “We enjoy our quarterback situation,” LSU coach LesMiles told reporters Monday. “We’re fortunate to have two veteran quarterbacks who have both played as starters.”

“A diversity of attack with our quarterbacks is what we want,” Miles said, according to The Advocate.

“It’s going to give defensive coordinators issues,” Miles said.

I do think we'll always be at our best when we have a dual threat quarterback. Our offensive line needs to improve (we should be able to run for 200+ against the RI's by running dives all day), but it'll never match up to the elites (see the Orange Bowl after the 1998 season). A dual threat guy can make a team think twice about all out blitzes or force them to waste a defender by using him as a spy. Just his presence can create match-up advantages for an offense. But do we have a dual threat guy on the roster? Sure Nassib can't run, but can the running guys throw? If they can only run, then they're not dual threat either. I hope Hunt or Broyld can be that dual threat guy. I'm not even hoping for the next McNabb, but I'd certainly appreciate another Marvin Graves.

The elusive "dual threat QB" has become the new "power back" that's going to solve all of our offensive ills.

Guess what? Smith and AAM are getting carries like everyone clamored for. Hasn't helped. Kinder and Hunt get snaps at some point? Smart money is on it not really helping.

Until we spread things out, pick up the pace and get better play from the OL we're probably not getting much better on offense.

A lot of fans keep looking for the next wunderkind. Last year everyone was excited about Kinder. Now, not much talk about him, because everyone's excited about Hunt. Everyone was super stoked about AAM this season - he looks like just another freshman that's not ready to make a big impact. I'm sure next season all our hopes and dreams will hang on Broyld, MacFarlane and Cornelius.

People argue whether it's talent or system, and I'm sad to say I don't believe it's a debate of either/or. Both need improvement. It's Marrone's job to improve it.

Jerome Smith had 4 touches. AAM had 2 touches.

UConn's offense had a whopping 311 yards of total offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom