Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a second these kids of situations only happen to Syracuse never Duke. At least he played almost the entire season. Can’t see that I blame him leaving on a crappy team to risk further injury. He’s getting a lot of heat from people but it’s his decision.

IT is the exact model for why you should never put your team over your own well being. Are you kidding me?
This might be a controversial take in 2021 but... I think both sides are right

This is might be a controversial take in 2021 but... I think both sides are right

I just think Jalen Johnson is the wrong guy for any of this stuff. He probably should have been on G-League Ignite from the get go. Same thing with a kid like Dior.

I think there is a significant break between top level kids that are happy to be in a situation that is a quid pro quo between college and player and then there are top level kids that fully disregard the college for any reason they want.

Let me be clear, I'm fine with players leaving at any point. What Jalen did doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd expect it to happen more often.

If Q left Syracuse right now to say he wanted to train for the draft, I'd 100% support him.

I just think Jalen going to Duke was never going to work from day one.

I just think Jalen Johnson is the wrong guy for any of this stuff. He probably should have been on G-League Ignite from the get go. Same thing with a kid like Dior.

I think there is a significant break between top level kids that are happy to be in a situation that is a quid pro quo between college and player and then there are top level kids that fully disregard the college for any reason they want.

Let me be clear, I'm fine with players leaving at any point. What Jalen did doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd expect it to happen more often.

If Q left Syracuse right now to say he wanted to train for the draft, I'd 100% support him.

It’s still a crap thing to do to quit on your team. It can be the right decision in every other way, like it probably is here, but quitting on a team isn’t cool.

It’s still a crap thing to do to quit on your team. It can be the right decision in every other way, like it probably is here, but quitting on a team isn’t cool.

I just don't think it is. If you aren't going to pay these guys, where both sides clearly know they aren't there for school, you are taking a chance. I don't care if he gets to go to Geology 105 for free and can get all the Sbarro's in the world on his food card.

Again, I don't think Jalen's the right example for this since this relationship was fractured from the get go and this was the natural end result.

In general, I'm fine if the top guys drop out for the draft. It's the chance you take as a big time program/coach. These guys have been getting used by adults since they were little kids once their prowess was able to be measured in rankings.

You want to drop out to train for the draft and anger Coach K, so be it. You have to look out for yourself, first and foremost. It's not like his teammates didn't know what's up.

Wait, so a super highly recruited freshmen (and the #6 prospect in the NBA draft) only played 21.4 minutes on a historically bad Duke team? ;)
He played 8 minutes vs. NCSU and 15 minutes the game before. He's in Coach K's doghouse. Seth Greenberg said it last night. Rather than work his way out, he quit.

I just don't think it is. If you aren't going to pay these guys, where both sides clearly know they aren't there for school, you are taking a chance. I don't care if he gets to go to Geology 105 for free and can get all the Sbarro's in the world on his food card.

Again, I don't think Jalen's the right example for this since this relationship was fractured from the get go and this was the natural end result.

In general, I'm fine if the top guys drop out for the draft. It's the chance you take as a big time program/coach. These guys have been getting used by adults since they were little kids once their prowess was able to be measured in rankings.

You want to drop out to train for the draft and anger Coach K, so be it. You have to look out for yourself, first and foremost. It's not like his teammates didn't know what's up.
I am fearful for the future of college basketball with mentalities like this. You’re fine with kids quitting before the season ends? Are you freaking kidding me? Why even have college basketball any more if it’s going to become the sham that’ s apparently supported by you. Why not just have guys Opt out of their senior year of high school and get ready for the draft.

I am fearful for the future of college basketball with mentalities like this. You’re fine with kids quitting before the season ends? Are you freaking kidding me? Why even have college basketball any more if it’s going to become the sham that’ s apparently supported by you. Why not just have guys Opt out of their senior year of high school and get ready for the draft.

This is common in soccer around the world with young kids “opting out” of school in a way and going to the academies, It will prob become norm here and college basketball will have to adjust or die like they’ve been doing

He played 8 minutes vs. NCSU and 15 minutes the game before. He's in Coach K's doghouse. Seth Greenberg said it last night. Rather than work his way out, he quit.
He could’ve played like garbage the rest of the year and it wouldn’t hurt his draft stock like this move. Almost untouchable now

It's hard to be a fan of a sport where we get to the point that fans understand a kid quitting in the run up to the end of the season.

How can you be more invested in the sport than the players seem to be?

It's hard to be a fan of a sport where we get to the point that fans understand a kid quitting in the run up to the end of the season.

How can you be more invested in the sport than the players seem to be?

If a fan thinks he is more invested than a player who has worked his whole life at a sport, continues to practice/play games, etc, then we’re just going to disagree.

us sitting home having a beer and watching the game and posting on a message board and thinking that we’re more invested in the sport is hilarious.

if this all makes you mad at the sport, watch the NBA. No pretending geology 105 is super important. Nets/Suns just had an insane game. Great entertainment.

The very top guys *should* be out of normal high school and into a proper academy where they get an education and training for the NBA.

This isn’t an abnormal thing in other sports.

This is common in soccer around the world with young kids “opting out” of school in a way and going to the academies, It will prob become norm here and college basketball will have to adjust or die like they’ve been doing
The only way to adjust is revoke the scholarship and have them walk naked through the streets Game of Thrones style. Anyone supporting this move is blind to honor and integrity. Finish the season for gods sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom