Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse

So help me god if one of there bigs has a career night against us.

Never really heard of Dawkins until tonight. Looks like an x factor kind of guy.

He's their James Southerland.

We need to force Jabari to pass or shoot deep. Will be interesting to see where K lines him up vs. the zone. I could see him in the high post one series, running the baseline the next. Versatile atlete.

Welcome to the jungle
axl-rose-canada-boris_menkevich.jpg

I have a good source who says you are one good dude . I trust him.

Likewise. I am pretty sure we share that source. ;)

By the way, I want to take this special moment of peace & love to announce to the board that I am officially cancer free. My oncologist/ surgeon does not want to see me for 6 months.

This week will be epic. Monday was cancer's death. Wednesday will be the Demon Deacon's "Wake" and Saturday will be Duke's funeral.

He's their James Southerland.

We need to force Jabari to pass or shoot deep. Will be interesting to see where K lines him up vs. the zone. I could see him in the high post one series, running the baseline the next. Versatile atlete.

The same dilemna applies to Hood. Those two are very versatile and make any kind of shot.

By the way, I want to take this special moment of peace & love to announce to the board that I am officially cancer free. My oncologist/ surgeon does not want to see me for 6 months.

This week will be epic. Monday was cancer's death. Wednesday will be the Demon Deacon's "Wake" and Saturday will be Duke's funeral.

Request admin approval to like this 44 times. So happy to hear that man!!!!

Awesome news !

Congratulations man, I am absolutely honored to have this in my thread.

Life is beautiful. Very happy for you.

The same dilemna applies to Hood. Those two are very versatile and make any kind of shot.

I think we want parker to shoot all day. Let him go for 30 and keep the rest of them at bay. Parker lately is a volume scorer. Go after him on offense and he will tire and struggle to shoot as the game progresses.

We have the advantage athlete wise. Duke has smoked miami with their mtm, nc state with pressure and pitt with better athletes and lights out shooting against a team in awe of playing a blue blood. None of those things will be there for them as advantages saturday. Duke will be forced to win a game where they need more than ability and talent. So far this year they have not shown the ability to do that.

We have shown to be prone to falter against teams who scheme well and excel against those who try to outclass us vs outscheme us.

Thanks, guys. I DO appreciate it. This board is a great outlet for me. I'm an emotional, passionate guy. I was really bummed when I got the diagnosis...though it took me quite a while, eventually posting it on this board really helped.

So again, thanks.

LGO! We have to beat Duke. We just have to.

Oh, and F Wojo (I always hated that annoying pest)!

Congratulations man, I am absolutely honored to have this in my thread.

Life is beautiful. Very happy for you.

Don't want to hijack it.

Please, guys, back to the game analysis...and me being a nervous wreck about all their friggin' shooters. Cancer is behind me, back to the regularly-scheduled Duke talk.

Congrats iommi!That s great to hear! Jefferson and hood matchup well with us athletically so i gotta agree with the previous post about going at parker no matter who he s covering.Think if we do that and get cooney some open looks and we ll be good.

Last edited:
Congrats iommi!That s great to hear! Jefferson and hood matchup well with us athletically so i gotta agree with the previous post about going at parker no matter who he s covering.Think doing that and getting cooney some open looks and we ll be good.

I agree and this will be downplayed, but I think our FT shooting will be a big factor. We need a bounce back performance from the stripe because I think we will get there a fair amount if we try to attack the rim and the boards like we should.

Key will be our wings recovering to get out on their shooters once the ball gets to the high post or into the lane. If it gets kicked out, will Grant or CJ have time to get out there? I think we may see them get a few open looks but also a few of them getting blocked.

Key will be our wings recovering to get out on their shooters once the ball gets to the high post or into the lane. If it gets kicked out, will Grant or CJ have time to get out there? I think we may see them get a few open looks but also a few of them getting blocked.

Good post, this might be a game for Baye to shine too because he's great at recovery defense/ help.

Good post, this might be a game for Baye to shine too because he's great at recovery defense/ help.

Yup, Baye closes out on the corner shooter better than most. May see a Warrick type block of Michael Lee out of him.

Always good to hear that another person has beaten that evil thing. Congrats iommi!!!

Yup, Baye closes out on the corner shooter better than most. May see a Warrick type block of Michael Lee out of him.

Always good to hear that another person has beaten that evil thing. Congrats iommi!!!

Please tell me you meant "elbow."

Please tell me you meant "elbow."

nope, talking about when the defense has had to rotate due to a failed trap in the opposite corner or there's a loose ball and our players get caught out of position and Baye is forced to go running at the 3 point shooter. He's better at it then DC2 will ever be, or AO and Rick Jackson were. Not saying he's great at it, just better then some in the recent past at the center position

he does cover the elbow/foul line from down low, much better than the corner rotation.

Duke doesn't play on either end like the types of teams that usually give us trouble
oh, on offense they sure are. Teams that take care of the ball and shoot it well from deep always give SU a hard time. Duke is among the national leaders in turnover percentage, turning it over on just 14.2% of possessions - 7the best in the nation. And they are 5th in the nation in 3 point shooting, connecting on 41.4% of their three balls. Their offense is a very difficult stylistic matchup. We'll have to play our very best defensively on Saturday.

Seems to me that the key to the game is stopping Parker early. Rak/CJ/Jerami need to be aware and stop the dribble penetration. He went off in the first half last night. NO EASY SHOTS. Pitt adjusted to him to and left all kinds of open three's in the second half. Duke hit every one of them. If we can take away that penetration and force deep shots that should help to neutralize him.

The other thing that really impressed me last night was Duke's ability to get easy scores of the inbounds pass. We need to be aware of shooters on the wings on the inbounds. Lastly, we need to prevent their run outs. They seem deadly on the transition three.

I'm curious how JB starts out on Saturday. Does the zone extend early?

One thing I'm really hoping to see is Grant get the ball in the high post, take a few dribbles to his right, spin into the lane, draw fouls all day on Parker. Get him off the court and he can't hurt you. Will he be in the high post for Duke? Does he pass well?

Coach K is going to put his best defenders on Ennis, Cooney, and CJ. He'll dare Grant/Christmas to beat him just like Boeheim always tries to have the zone take away our opponents best player. Offensive rebounding will be huge in this game for a variety of reasons, especially if it keeps K from playing Parker at the 5, which is their best offensive line-up.

I fully expect Parker to be at the high post against the zone with the shooters on the wings. SU will have to collapse on him and he's a threat to shoot, drive, pass from there. Putting him on the baseline would be a win for SU as the Jefferson/Plumlee combo wouldn't force the zone to respect them in the high post. I'd let Parker get his points and really try and keep Hood from going off.

Let's hammer Wake tomorrow night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom