Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse

Whoever has Parker on them wether it is CJ or Jerami need to take it to him early, force him to play defense, hopefully he commits some dumb fouls.

On the defensive side hand need to be up, close outs need to be quick but smart.
Can't let them get clean looks, because if they start hitting it might be a long game.

I'd like to see some early dump downs to Rak City and let him try to do his newly signatured baby hook.

Also The Coon needs to hit some 3s, and I think he might break out of whatever slump he is in. Can easily see him go for 20.

Want to see some sort of bench production...Would like to see G get some buckets.

And a huge congrats to iommi

let parker get his. the key is guarding the 3pt line. we cant be paying special attention to parker and leave wide open shooters all over. get out on their shooters, extend the zone from the opening tip. make them beat us with 2's. and rebound like men.

I agree with ReBar that K will try and make life miserable for our best players. I believe the #1 thing he will do is put a great deal of pressure on Ennis. That's the head of the snake for us and he knows it. It may not work immediately, but if Duke keeps in his shirt the whole game it will eventually get to him.
While Silent G needs to be able to give Ennis (and Cooney) a break, I'm concerned how nervous he's going to be playing against his old teammates. He isn't as sure of himself right now and Duke may magnify it.

Grant needs to be the go to guy on Saturday, especially if they guard him with Parker. Parker is not a very goo defender. Also, the guard match-ups defend on how the officials call the game. Cook and Thornton love to play defense with there hands(pushing/slapping) so it will be interesting to see if they call any fouls early in the game

nope, talking about when the defense has had to rotate due to a failed trap in the opposite corner or there's a loose ball and our players get caught out of position and Baye is forced to go running at the 3 point shooter. He's better at it then DC2 will ever be, or AO and Rick Jackson were. Not saying he's great at it, just better then some in the recent past at the center position

he does cover the elbow/foul line from down low, much better than the corner rotation.

It is absolutely awful to see him do that. It means so many things have broken down. Has he ever blocked one of those corner shots? And I know for a fact that we routinely give up the offensive board when he's out there trying to contest the shot. And yes, I feel the same way when I see Rak trying to get out there as well. Everytime it happens, regardless of which big it is, I expect a missed shot, follow up offensive board with a made basket and a foul on one of the other forwards with a chance at an and 1.

And no, I don't know how to fix it.

Grant needs to be the go to guy on Saturday, especially if they guard him with Parker. Parker is not a very goo defender. Also, the guard match-ups defend on how the officials call the game. Cook and Thornton love to play defense with there hands(pushing/slapping) so it will be interesting to see if they call any fouls early in the game

Would love, love, love to see Grant get Parker in foul trouble early. He is terrible at scoring from the bench.

I think we could see Duke go with Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins, Hood, Parker

They have played Parker at the 5 a number of games this year

I expect K to put Parker at the FT line (in the middle) and deploy a small, shooting line up around the zone. We'll only see Plumlee to spell Parker. We need to control the boards. We do that, things will be good. Duke will not shoot 50-plus % from three again this week. Baye and Roc will have to deal with Parker putting the ball on the floor.

This is not one of the better defensive teams duke has put out but they can shoot it. Would like to see us drive the rim early and force jefferson, parker, and hood to defend or foul. They are the exact opposite of us depth wise with guard depth but very little to offer off the bench inside. Ennis dribble drive and dish to rak if his defender steps over to fill, cooney running his defender ragged and hitting a few jumpers, defense collapsing on cj and him passing out of it, and duke playing 5 feet off grant and giving him the 15 foot jumper similar to what we'll do with parker in the middle of the zone.

I also think this is a game where we finally get out in transition. Duke will methodically attack the zone early with mixed results, eventually grow impatient as 36, 000 fans ride them, start settling for long jumpers and start looking for calls from the ref as we're running the other way with it.

let parker get his. the key is guarding the 3pt line. we cant be paying special attention to parker and leave wide open shooters all over. get out on their shooters, extend the zone from the opening tip. make them beat us with 2's. and rebound like men.

I want Parker to feel a double edged sword that eventually turns on him. I want us to take away everything from Duke but Parker and make the frosh do two things 1) make very quick decisions and 2) push him out to the perimeter.

JB used to hammer it home to Melo that he had to work inside out to be his best. He tended to drift outside. We need to make Parker do the same. I want to see that leaner jumper he has. All of a sudden that little flaw looks a lot worse when you are forcing deep threes or contested and rushed shots.

On offense, I want to see so many pump fakes, Bobby Knight pops a bottle of champagne he is so happy. I think if they are playing incredibly tight man to man, I want to see TC come off a curl pump fake, and either drive or take the foul.

I think we could get something like 3 quick fouls on Duke from how amped up they'll be at the start of this game and how intense the defense they want to play. I want pump fakes and mid range Js from CJ. I want stop and gos from Tyler that lead to layups to get in the lane and I want Grant to dunk so hard on Parker that old ladies stand up and start crip walking in celebration.

I cannot wait for this game.

I want Parker to feel a double edged sword that eventually turns on him. I want us to take away everything from Duke but Parker and make the frosh do two things 1) make very quick decisions and 2) push him out to the perimeter.

JB used to hammer it home to Melo that he had to work inside out to be his best. He tended to drift outside. We need to make Parker do the same. I want to see that leaner jumper he has. All of a sudden that little flaw looks a lot worse when you are forcing deep threes or contested and rushed shots.

On offense, I want to see so many pump fakes, Bobby Knight pops a bottle of champagne he is so happy. I think if they are playing incredibly tight man to man, I want to see TC come off a curl pump fake, and either drive or take the foul.

I think we could get something like 3 quick fouls on Duke from how amped up they'll be at the start of this game and how intense the defense they want to play. I want pump fakes and mid range Js from CJ. I want stop and gos from Tyler that lead to layups to get in the lane and I want Grant to dunk so hard on Parker that old ladies stand up and start crip walking in celebration.

I cannot wait for this game.
For some reason I thought of this speech while reading this lol.

oh, on offense they sure are. Teams that take care of the ball and shoot it well from deep always give SU a hard time. Duke is among the national leaders in turnover percentage, turning it over on just 14.2% of possessions - 7the best in the nation. And they are 5th in the nation in 3 point shooting, connecting on 41.4% of their three balls. Their offense is a very difficult stylistic matchup. We'll have to play our very best defensively on Saturday.

Small guards [other than Sulaman]. Sure, they can light it up from outside if left open. The key won't be leaving them open--have to close out on shooters.

And that's only one side of the ball. Duke's defensive style is something I look forward to watching up with, as well. We seem to play better against teams that like to speed up the tempo and play fast.

I agree about one thing--we'll have to play our best on Saturday to win.

iommi said:
Likewise. I am pretty sure we share that source. ;) By the way, I want to take this special moment of peace & love to announce to the board that I am officially cancer free. My oncologist/ surgeon does not want to see me for 6 months. This week will be epic. Monday was cancer's death. Wednesday will be the Demon Deacon's "Wake" and Saturday will be Duke's funeral.
Just trolling for likes now bro! :). Glad to hear it. Here's another!

Small guards [other than Sulaman]. Sure, they can light it up from outside if left open. The key won't be leaving them open--have to close out on shooters.

And that's only one side of the ball. Duke's defensive style is something I look forward to watching up with, as well. We seem to play better against teams that like to speed up the tempo and play fast.

I agree about one thing--we'll have to play our best on Saturday to win.

good post, as usual. We do well against small guards; it's true this year, but not as huge an advantage as last year when we had tremendous guard size (that's another reason I'm excited we're getting Malachi Richardson in '15 and hopefully Kid Mamba in '16).

The fast tempo helps us because we have Tempo Tyler running the show.

RF, are you concerned that they will wear down our backcourt through pressure and a sheer numbers game? If G doesn't provide offense, TE and TC may not have their legs at the end of the game.

It will be interesting to see if K has them hedge over our ball screens or if they switch.

good post, as usual. We do well against small guards; it's true this year, but not as huge an advantage as last year when we had tremendous guard size (that's another reason I'm excited we're getting Malachi Richardson in '15 and hopefully Kid Mamba in '16).

The fast tempo helps us because we have Tempo Tyler running the show.

RF, are you concerned that they will wear down our backcourt through pressure and a sheer numbers game? If G doesn't provide offense, TE and TC may not have their legs at the end of the game.

It will be interesting to see if K has them hedge over our ball screens or if they switch.

I don't think so. We pick and choose our spots to run [hence, all of the threads recently about our transition game], and Ennis is really a master of not only handling the press but imposing his preferred tempo on the game. I think JB is going to make a conscientious effort to play Gbinije more this game--primarily due to his size / ability to close out on their small shooters. So I would expect Ennis / Cooney to get spelled when and where JB can afford to get them down. We need Cooney to have his shooting legs on Saturday, but he's also going to have do do a better job defensively than he's done the last few games [my opinion only, but he's been slow to rotate on several three point attempts the last two games, with the net result being open looks from three for the opponent].

This reminds me a lot of the Indiana game last year, with Watford as Rodney Hood and Parker as Oladipo, and a bunch of smaller guards.

To moqui's point above--if they get it rolling from three, that is very bad for us. But they are susceptible inside, and we have to keep them off of the boards--can't let them do what they did to Pitt last night.

We'll be ready to play these guys--no doubt in my mind.

RF: Great point about Cooney being slow getting out on shooters lately. I noticed that too. Since we know Cooney gives a great effort, I wonder how much that is attributable to him exerting some much energy trying to get open on offense (like fighting around screens).

Good comparison to the Indiana game but unfortunately Crean doesn't make in-game adjustments like K does.

As I said in an earlier post, I hope Duke shot their wad against Pitt; their confidence is sky-high and rightfully so, they are playing their best ball right now.

Should be a good one.

RF: Great point about Cooney being slow getting out on shooters lately. I noticed that too. Since we know Cooney gives a great effort, I wonder how much that is attributable to him exerting some much energy trying to get open on offense (like fighting around screens).

Good comparison to the Indiana game but unfortunately Crean doesn't make in-game adjustments like K does.

As I said in an earlier post, I hope Duke shot their wad against Pitt; their confidence is sky-high and rightfully so, they are playing their best ball right now.

Should be a good one.

It wasn't just Cooney that's been slow on the threes - Ennis missed a couple rotations as well the last game. Surprised me to see, but it happened.

The more Jabari tries to defend against Jerami, the more foul trouble he will get in.

I'm not very worried about this game, i think we match up very week against Duke.

I just hope that we don't let Dawkins, Cook and Hood go off.

Should be a good one.

And just to be clear, the Indiana comparison was more about having a team of great three point shooters who thrived in an up tempo running game, that were flummoxed by the zone. I don't think that the player comparisons are spot on, but they have similarities.

Agreed about the difference between Crean / K. But Boeheim will have our team ready.

Let's get past WF first...

I think Duke is going to use Parker as bait early on. They are going to put him on the baseline and on the middle of the zone to try and get him the ball to get the zone to react to him to get shooters going early. I don't know if this plan or even if it will work but I feel that might be something Duke tries early.

Outside of Jabari Parker I feel that Duke is a little underestimated defensively but recently Duke has really come on as a unit on defense. Cooney is the type of player that can completely change a game and he most certainly can, however, I don't want this to come across as cocky but I don't think Cooney will kill us. He obviously certainly can but earlier in the year Duke took Nik Stauskas(?) out of the game from Michigan and he is an excellent sniper from three so that evidence gives me a slight bit of comfort that Cooney won't drop a ton of points on us.

We have a lot of length and athleticism. Rasheed Sulaimon, Rodney Hood, Amile Jefferson all have quick feet and long wingspans.

I know a lot of fans from both sides will say " player X is going to dominate his match-up" but I really don't think see that happening. I think a lot of the match-ups will be fairly even. Both teams have very good players across the board and they will be ready for the big stage Saturday evening.

I think Syracuse will win by a few points but I do think it is going to be an extremely competitive game that is decided in the final 5 or 6 minutes.

I don't think so. We pick and choose our spots to run [hence, all of the threads recently about our transition game], and Ennis is really a master of not only handling the press but imposing his preferred tempo on the game. I think JB is going to make a conscientious effort to play Gbinije more this game--primarily due to his size / ability to close out on their small shooters. So I would expect Ennis / Cooney to get spelled when and where JB can afford to get them down. We need Cooney to have his shooting legs on Saturday, but he's also going to have do do a better job defensively than he's done the last few games [my opinion only, but he's been slow to rotate on several three point attempts the last two games, with the net result being open looks from three for the opponent].

This reminds me a lot of the Indiana game last year, with Watford as Rodney Hood and Parker as Oladipo, and a bunch of smaller guards.

To moqui's point above--if they get it rolling from three, that is very bad for us. But they are susceptible inside, and we have to keep them off of the boards--can't let them do what they did to Pitt last night.

We'll be ready to play these guys--no doubt in my mind.

I am not comparing Oladipo/Watford with Hood/Parker but I personally feel that the duos bring something entirely different to the table. I don't think they are much alike.

And just to be clear, the Indiana comparison was more about having a team of great three point shooters who thrived in an up tempo running game, that were flummoxed by the zone. I don't think that the player comparisons are spot on, but they have similarities.

Agreed about the difference between Crean / K. But Boeheim will have our team ready.

Let's get past WF first...

Yeah, I knew what you meant with the Indiana comparison, thus, my point about K making adjustments.

And yeah, let's beat Wake first.

I am not comparing Oladipo/Watford with Hood/Parker but I personally feel that the duos bring something entirely different to the table. I don't think they are much alike.

I really see a lot of Melo in Parker. Similar builds and similar inside/ outside games (as college freshmen).

I really see a lot of Melo in Parker. Similar builds and similar inside/ outside games (as college freshmen).

Yes. They are built similarly and have complete offensive games at that age. Post game (back to the basket and facing the basket) mid-range, three point shot and attacking the hoop. Parker's shooting form looks a little like Melo's too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom